Painting Calipers? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
awebb
Focus Addict

Fan#: 259
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 1 awebb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Painting Calipers?

I'm thinking about painting my calipers this weekend. I'm not really doing it for looks, so I think I'll just go with black. The reason that I'm doing it is that I've noticed some rust on the calipers. That kind of pissed me off being that I've got a car that I bought new this August with only 8 miles on it. Ok, off my rant and back to my question, I'm wondering who out there has done this. If you have, do you have any tips, suggestions, or things to watch out for? Also, how did you mask your rotors so you didn't get paint on them? I painted the drums on my old car with some hi-temp caliper paint, but that was easy, I didn't have to worry about where the paint went. I thank you all in advance for your help.

Speed: AEM Short Ram Intake, Focus Central Race Header, Custom 2.25" Header-Back Exhaust.

Looks: Red Shorty Antenna, Superblue headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
Sublime

Fan#: 192
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZTS, 02 Escape V6, 80 Turbo T/A

FF Reputation: 1 Sublime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I painted the drums on my Contour by covering everything but the Drum. The calipers were removed and I covered everything with plastic. Then I removed the Brake Pads and painted them. This is the same thing I did for My Focus. It is pretty easy. Some say not to remove the caliper but I did so to keep from getting paint on anything else by accident.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
awebb
Focus Addict

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I don't feel confident enough in my mechanical abilities to remove my calipers . I'm hoping that someone can tell me how to paint them without having to remove them.

Speed: AEM Short Ram Intake, Focus Central Race Header, Custom 2.25" Header-Back Exhaust.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:41 AM   #4
pitchblackab
Focus Addict

Fan#: 210
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 power premium auto

FF Reputation: 1 pitchblackab Good Standing Member
Not a bigger painted my cars drums and calipers I didnt cover anything on the car , just the paint .

When i did my friends svt he covered everything but that thing got a lot of coats plus primer mine just got two coats of black to make sure it looked even.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:23 PM   #5
awebb
Focus Addict

Well I did it last weekend. It looks pretty good, there is one spot that I need to touch up from where my friend touched it before it dried.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:19 PM   #6
Alec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1629
What I Drive: 01 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Alec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey I recently painted mine too, (I just sparyed plasti kote stuff in a cup and did it with a paintbrush) but they don't look as good as I wanted them to, and I was wondering if it's difficult to take the calipers off? Jistrum, is there any easy way to do it, or if not is there a place I could find out how?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
hendu33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 659
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE/Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 hendu33 Good Standing Member
It's easy. Jack up the car and take off the tire. There's two bolts that hold the caliper in place. Unscrew them, push the piston into the bore (take off cap for brake fluid first), and lift it off. Just don't drop it, you might break the rubber brake line. If you want to take the pads out, the pop right out. Just try not to get any paint around where the piston pops out.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:05 PM   #8
Alec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1629
What I Drive: 01 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Alec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
thanks man, I'll give it a shot this weekend
Old 11-13-2003, 10:07 PM   #9
BIGBADWORM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 517
What I Drive: 00 ZX3, 00 Dakota CC R/T

FF Reputation: 1 BIGBADWORM Good Standing Member
Any chance I could get a pic to see how it looks? Been thinking about doing mine. Where did you guys get the paint? I know Tirerack.com sells a kit for like $48.00. Wouold like to see how it looks though.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:03 PM   #10
awebb
Focus Addict

I just masked off my rotor and lines and stuff with a garbage bag and some masking tape. Then I sprayed it with some caliper paint from autozone. If I get a chance, I'll post some pics later.

Bookmarks & Social Networks