Black out your "Ford" Emblem - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Black out your "Ford" Emblem

I've seen a lot threads for blacking out your grille but then I always see a bunch of blue "Ford" emblems running around on black grilles. Here's mine;

Here's how I did it.

Items Required:
VHT Nite-Shades (paint may work, but I've never tried it)
Polisher
3 Grades of Polish (finish with show quality grade)

OK, the polisher and 3 grades of polish aren't required. I understand that not everyone has a dual-action random orbit polisher, but it sure makes the job a lot easier.

Remove the grille and remove the emblem from the grille. How to remove the grille from 08/09 HERE.

Now clean it good, and then clean it again. Cleaning cannot be stressed enough, wear exam gloves (them thin rubber ones) to keep the oils from your hands off as well. I use 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water, but Windex will work. Make sure everything is dry before continuing.

Using the Nite-Shades as directed spray a very, very thin coat over the entire emblem. You can not spray Nite-Shades like normal paint, it is as thin as water and runs like it too. Spray light coats and build it up. Depending on temp wait 10 - 20 mintues between coats.

Once you have the blue color as black as you want it, spray a couple more thin coats. Those extra coats will be polished off and you'll have the darkness you wanted.

Because the "Ford" letters are slightly raised and Nite-Shades really doesn't like to stick to unprepared chrome it will come off of the letters when you polish. Same goes for the chrome around the outside.

I start polishing with my grade 3 polish and carefully concentrate on the letters and chrome outside. When the Nite-Shades is off of those I'll switch to grade 2 polish and gently polish the entire emblem. Watch the Nite-Shades by wiping the polish off often to check the finish and darkness. When you are happy with that, hit it with the show quality finish polish and you're done.

I'm sure you can hand polish it also, just be prepared for sore arms!

If I can explain any of that better or help out somehow, just let me know.

Brad

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
so did you take off the clear plasticy stuff and nightshade and then put the plastic back on?
ZC#200
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Nope, didn't even know there was any clear plastic stuff I could take off.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
ROUSHfocus32
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 54427
What I Drive: 01' Silver Roush ZX3,04' Red SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 ROUSHfocus32 Good Standing Member
looks good man
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Riverratrider
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57603
What I Drive: '02 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 47 Riverratrider Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
cool, I just had a black background and they colormatched the ford part to my car. Here's a pic

~Leave no trace~
Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
HGFireHazard
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55362
What I Drive: 2009 Red SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 6 HGFireHazard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Very nice Brad, thank you!

I posted in another thread about how I feel the big blue badge looks out of place on the 08/09, especially my red one!

I have the rest of this week and weekend of spring break and half of a can of niteshades in the garage so I think I'm going to give this a shot. I don't have an random orbital polisher, so my hands will have to suffice.

I'll take pictures and all that and post when I finish.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
BradWhite
Head Hurt

If I were to go at it by hand I'd probably start with rubbing compound on the letters and chrome outside. That should get the Nite-Shade off without having to work to hard. Then just gently polish the whole thing for a nice shine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks