Should I just paint my stock wheels black? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
INCUBUSRATM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51482
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 INCUBUSRATM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Should I just paint my stock wheels black?

I want black wheels pretty bad, but am short on money (I have to pay for rent, car payment, utilities, cable bill, internet bill, etc...you know). I don't mind the style of my wheels:

I'd be okay if they were black. Hey, if it saves money... Can you paint them without taking the tires off? I'm going to be going back to West TN to visit with my girlfriend's family tonight, and tomorrow I'm taking my wheels off to thoroughly clean and shine up the calipers, since her dad has a garage I can work in. Could I easily paint the wheels while they're off? Is it just a simple matter of clean, primer, paint, clear coat? Or will they just start to chip after time? If I'm going to do it, I want to do it right. I'm especially looking for opinions from people that have done it already. If I do it, what's the best primer, paint, and clear coat to get, and how much would I need? Also, if you've done this, please post pics. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Insane
Adam

Fan#: 51468
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 41 Insane Great Standing Member
I have the stock 16's painted black. Have a look at my pics.
-Zetec Crew #215
Volant Intake, SVT Snorkle, By past A/C, AFX UDP, Copper Plugs, 9mm Plug Wires, Toms Tune, Roush springs/shocks/struts, Eibach Sway-Bars, C-F-M Racing Lower Engine Mount.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Focus112
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50026
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Focus112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
it can be done but its alot of work if you dont what them to chip. Also i would suggest taking the tire off but you could let the air out and put paper behind the lip to prevent overspray. I think someone on here use index cards and stuck them all the way around. Search it
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
INCUBUSRATM
Focus Addict

Do you guys think it is worth it? Or is it just too much of a hassle?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
If you want black wheels badly then yes, just do it. I'd also get black lug nuts.

You can paint them with the tires on, and I don't see why you'd really need to deflate them. I would definitely take the wheels off though. And all 4 at once if you can, or maybe two at a time.

But yes, they will most definitely chip over time. It's a bit of a hassle but what's the ratio of love for black wheels to the hassle of doing it?

There's a how-to on I believe on here: http://www.focushacks.com/ or here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...mplete+archive
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Insane
Adam

Fan#: 51468
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 41 Insane Great Standing Member
The paint will wear off the tires.. I know this. =)
-Zetec Crew #215
Volant Intake, SVT Snorkle, By past A/C, AFX UDP, Copper Plugs, 9mm Plug Wires, Toms Tune, Roush springs/shocks/struts, Eibach Sway-Bars, C-F-M Racing Lower Engine Mount.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
INCUBUSRATM
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bergner View Post
If you want black wheels badly then yes, just do it. I'd also get black lug nuts.

You can paint them with the tires on, and I don't see why you'd really need to deflate them. I would definitely take the wheels off though. And all 4 at once if you can, or maybe two at a time.

But yes, they will most definitely chip over time. It's a bit of a hassle but what's the ratio of love for black wheels to the hassle of doing it?

There's a how-to on I believe on here: http://www.focushacks.com/ or here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...mplete+archive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
The paint will wear off the tires.. I know this. =)
See, that's the only problem I have with it- I don't want the hassle later on... Really the only thing keeping me from doing it. What about powdercoating? How much would that cost me to get done professionally?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
On my EAP's it cost me more than I was expecting but I'm really happy with the results.

Powder Coating cost roughly 170 but they had to media blast the wheels first because of the thick coating already on the wheels. That was about 150. So a little over 300. Ouch, I know.

But I figured how much it would cost in paint, then how much it would cost in paint later down the road to touch it up.

I mean really, if you had to retouch them later, just spot spray them with the same paint / clear coat. Dupli-Color makes some awesome tough clear coat specifically for wheels. But it's a little expensive.

But yeah, for 300 you could probably just get wheels that are already black.

I wouldn't let the touch up thing deter you too much. Especially since they're 15's and your sidewall is bigger than on 17's. Now if they were 17's, you'd probably have to touch them up a lot more.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
kritter
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57698
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 7 kritter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Powder coating cost would depend on where you go. I would get on google maps and look for all the powder coating places in your area and call/visit/email each one to see who has the best rates, I would prefer to visit so you can see some of their other work before you hand anything over to them. I had my brand new EAPs done last week in white for $160 and that included sandblasting, and they came out looking amazing. If I were you I would look into that then save your money awhile...
2002 SONIC BLUE SVT #3966
Performance & Handling: JR HFC, CFM dogbone, K&N panel filter, Eibach Pro-kit, Auto-X-ZTS RSB set to 24mm.
Exterior: ST170s & Euro Grill, White EAPs, more to come.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
id paint them, so what if they last a couple of years, by that time you may have they money to buy some better wheels.

heres how i would do it:
1. use vasaline on the tires to prevent the paint from sticking to them, when you all done just wipe the paint off the tires.

2. clean the hell out of them with a degreaser and nylon brush. sand them with some 220 wet dry. rinse rinse rinse

3. use dulpi colors wheel paint i dont think it takes a primer.

4. use dulpi colors wheel clear. holds up very well.

id bet it will cost about 50 bucks to buy all the stuff you need.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->