WTF...Dash lights...beeping...pwr lock dont work??? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The term "crossed" doesn't mean you have to plug a wire in the wrong place. It can mean that two wires have rubbed the insulation off somewhere, and are touching each other. Sometimes this will blow a fuse, but not always. It depends on which circuit it is.

Sometimes you just get strange electrical problems....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
ryan1428
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58574
What I Drive: 06 SES ZX5 (wife), 71 Camaro New

FF Reputation: 1 ryan1428 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ouch....sounds like it would be difficult to find....even for a pro.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm willing to bet it's what blue said...... IIRC someone on here pressed like the headlight switch and the trunk popped open or something.

and my friend's subaru is possessed too... (crossed wires) when he opens the door, the damn car starts kinda convenient, actually but I think I have it figured out.....the wiring for the light at the bottom of the door is rubbing somewhere against the ignition wire and causing it to start up as the light is turned on.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
I'm willing to bet it's what blue said...... IIRC someone on here pressed like the headlight switch and the trunk popped open or something.

and my friend's subaru is possessed too... (crossed wires) when he opens the door, the damn car starts kinda convenient, actually but I think I have it figured out.....the wiring for the light at the bottom of the door is rubbing somewhere against the ignition wire and causing it to start up as the light is turned on.
Things like this make me feel like all the car companies should just converge into one giant super company and make one great reliable car.....the quality of the germans, the electronics of the japanese, and the....the, um? Someone help me out here lol.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Yeah it's not easy to find these sorts of problems.....but if your problem is happening all the time, it's easier to track down.

Start by pulling fuses one at a time (then replacing them). If the strange blinking stops when you pull a fuse, your electrical problem is probably in the circuit controlled by that fuse. Unless you get lucky.....you really need a factory wiring diagram of the entire car to figure this out.

Good luck...

(I still think it's in the ign switch)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #16
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
I can't explain the oil pressure switch, but I think the others are related. I'd start by removing the switch in the door jamb. Be careful not to let the wires fall back down in the door jamb- you'll never get them back out. Most of the wiring in the Foci runs under the carpet just inside the door jamb. Pulling the carpet up is not so easy, but to fix a gremlin- well worth it.

I had a bad switch in one of my vans. No matter what you did, the light stayed on. Removed the switch- no more light- replaced it, and it worked fine.

Strangely enough, it could be that the oil pressure switch is powered by the same hot. It wouldn't surprise me, I had a car once that the horn and the fuel pump were on the same circuit. I found that out when the horn stuck on one day just as I was going to work, so I had no choice but to remove a fuse.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
ryan1428
Focus Enthusiast

I pulled the battery and brought it to the local parts store. It checked good, and had more cranking amps than posted on the battery. It was 600 and the battery says 590. It tested good with no dead cells. It's the original motorcraft battery. The idiot light is kind of an orange red color. Does this mean anything. The battery starts the car fine, tests fine....but those strange problems still happening. I swapped the battery from my other focus. It's a smaller battery....about 500 cranking amps. The problem still persists. Hmmm. Maybe it's still a battery problem. Not the right battery???? With some minor mods I could put my Camaro battery in it. Has about 800 CA.

Part 2
Tried another recommended trouble shooting technique. Since the car was beeping every 10 to 15 seconds. I could tell the problem was still there. I started pulling fuses one by one. Stopped beeping when I pulled the LOW beam fuse. Just remembered.... The car was hit in the front and destroyed the passanger headlight/foglight/turn signal. I replaced the headlight, foglight. Still have not replaced the turnsignal the bumper is still messed up. Also, the daytime running light does not work. Not sure if this has anything to do with this but I'm giving all the info I know. My wifes car has daytime running lights. I assume this car has the same feature.
Wifes car: 06 ZX5 SES
Problem car: 06 ZX4 ST

Appreciate all the help.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Humm.....accident damage to head light area. You may have a bare wire up there touching the frame. Pull all the bulbs one at a time....see if the problem goes away. Then loosen the wire harnesses to all the front lights and check for damage...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
ryan1428
Focus Enthusiast

I'll try that. Could the lack of a turn signal cause this mess? The lense, bulb and the connector that the bulb connects to is missing. What is left does not have loose wires.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #20
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Not all Foci have daytime running lights it was optional, but standard on SES if 06's were packaged the same as 05's.

The connector is gone and there are no loose wires?

If the headlight works correctly on low and high beam, then that shouldn't be the problem. If the wire was grounded anywhere, it would short and blow the fuse- light wouldn't come on etc. You could've told us the vehicle was damaged though. Even so, I don't think that has much to do with your problem.

Quote:
Summary:

Car is off with key out of the ignition.
Beeps every 10 seconds.
Door ajar light is on.
Oil pressure light is on.
Anti theft "lock" blinks.
Interior light comes on when it beeps.
And you haven't checked out the door jamb switch, and the wiring to it yet?

I don't see why the missing turn signal lamp would cause anything more than a fast blink on the dash when you turn on that signal. If it's not doing that, then you should check out the wiring harness for a problem.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->