2009 Ford Focus SE W/Idle Issue - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
dcast85
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83274
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 dcast85 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2009 Ford Focus SE W/Idle Issue

Hi, My wife and I bought a 2009 Ford Focus SE with 48k miles With the Ford Certified Pre-Owned 6 year/100k Warranty and 3 Month Comprehensive warranty.

My question is, when we are at a stop light the idle is slightly bumpy and the car has a vibration feel too it visually the tachometer moves just enough to notice maybe...50rpm at the most, if I push on the throttle slightly the vibration goes away and it feels OK. Is this something I can take in for the warranty or am I SOL and have to fix it myself...I never had a car with any kind of warranty before.

P.S. it felt fine when we test drove it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
bmenke12492
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77810
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 bmenke12492 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
While my 2003 zx5 is hardly similar to your 2009 SE, I had a similar issue a while back. After some research, I found that a bad "IAC" (idle air control) was a common reason for bad idle. I took it off and cleaned it with some iac cleaner and noticed a definate improvment. However, I'm getting the feeling that it might need to be replaced. I'm not a car expert, but the iac might be a good starting place. (Costs about $100 new for my car.)
Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi dcast85,

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. Iím not sure if youíve had the chance to contact your dealership about this? But if not, I recommend you make an appointment with them to have it diagnosed. Also, you can private message me your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information to see if I can help in any way.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Definitely covered under warranty. Dealerships love this stuff- like recalls- their money is guaranteed. I would not expect a loaner vehicle for something like this though, so plan accordingly.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
dcast85
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83274
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 dcast85 Good Standing Member
Angry

My 3 month comprehensive Bumper to bumper warranty is up. The dealer didn't find any problem. Had the iac cleaned. Problem seems to be worse when the vehicle is not warm but still present after its warmed up just not as bad..sometimes it isn't noticeable.

I can make the vehicle replicate the shutter issue by pushing the brake down and tapping on the gas (recent discovery)

Idles better in park. Idles almost perfect with air conditioning on.

I still have the powertrain warranty but this type of problem isn't covered. What should i do?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
In Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56840
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES

FF Reputation: 2 In Focus Good Standing Member
my 09 focus had a ruff mean idle so i took the TB apart and cleaned it really good with TB cleaner the back side of the butter fly was just caked with black gunk
now she idles like a champ! maybe this might help yah!
2009 SES, FRPP springs and shocks obx header cat delete steeda intake w/ K&N air filter short throw shifter Mogg front and rear sway links fully stripped interior CFM street dog bone mount Custom rear brace bar 15x7 Compomotive TH1570
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast85 View Post
My 3 month comprehensive Bumper to bumper warranty is up. The dealer didn't find any problem. Had the iac cleaned. Problem seems to be worse when the vehicle is not warm but still present after its warmed up just not as bad..sometimes it isn't noticeable.

I can make the vehicle replicate the shutter issue by pushing the brake down and tapping on the gas (recent discovery)

Idles better in park. Idles almost perfect with air conditioning on.

I still have the powertrain warranty but this type of problem isn't covered. What should i do?
Hi dcast85,

Now that you can make the concern happen again, you should definitely have them diagnose it. Once diagnosed, they can advise you of the coverages that apply to your vehicle. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to private message me.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
bweeden
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94597
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SE coupe

FF Reputation: 1 bweeden Good Standing Member
09 Focus rough Idle

My 09 Focus also has a rough idle, I dont believe the 2.0 has a IAC but could be wrong, I took it to the dealer they played with it for a day and could find nothing wrong, but the idle fluctuates between 1000 and 400 rpm as soon as it warms up, the car has 19k on it, usually Fuel injected motors are more percise then this, its a standard so as you slow down for lights it starts bucking, I am worried I am going to rip the drive train out of it.
I have a 12 Taurus and a 04 F150 without any problems... I was going to throw a IAC in myself so I wouldnt have to take it back to the dealer, (they couldnt find the flutuation that is very noticable) I was told it didnt have one. I really am not going to waste much time on this carting it back and forth to a dealer who wont acknowledge that it has a problem
Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
There's is no IAC control on the 09 due to the Drive-by-Wire. Sounds more like a vacuum leak somewhere to me.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
bweeden
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94597
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SE coupe

FF Reputation: 1 bweeden Good Standing Member
Ruff idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUrivie View Post
There's is no IAC control on the 09 due to the Drive-by-Wire. Sounds more like a vacuum leak somewhere to me.
How about the EGR? I wouldnt think it would develop a vacuume leak this early, I know its possible, but she is still pretty young

Bookmarks & Social Networks