I'm a noob, but a fast learner. Help me diagnose my ZX3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
Devakya
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 156114
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZX3 Black Plasti-Dip

FF Reputation: 1 Devakya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm a noob, but a fast learner. Help me diagnose my ZX3

So I bought a 2000 ZX3 5-speed manual with 116,000m a few weeks back, it had some issues to begin with and I am trying to diagnose and fix them.

Lets start with the clanking and clunking noises...
-A loud clanking noise coming from front passenger wheel when going over bumps or rough terrain. Pretty simple. I can also feel the wheels shudder when applying the brakes from moderate speed (50-60mph). And at times it feels like the wheels are turning themselves back and forth all over the road, even though the steering wheel is straight.
-A loud clunking/knocking noise from the front end when making sharp turns in either direction (Like pulling into a parking spot). The noise is consistent all the way through the turn, like "Clank, Clank, Clank, Clank, Clank!" and only stops when the wheels are straightened out again. But like I said, the noise is only made when the wheel is turned very sharply, like pulling into/out of a parking space, or making a U-turn.
-There is also a loud, almost metallic "scraping" noise coming from the rear end when going around 90 degree corners at low speeds. (Think of a metal cooking pan being drug behind the car around a turn.) But it is definitely coming from the rear, and there is nothing physically scraping the road, like an exhaust pipe or anything. Duh.

Now onto the engine issues...
-Erratic idling, pretty simple. Come to stop light, put it in neutral, but the RPM's stay at around 2000 or so before dropping down to normal after a few seconds. Sometimes they continue climbing to around 3000-3500 after coming to a stop, at which point I put it back in first gear and slowly let out on the clutch, just to get them to go back down.
Sometimes the headlights and interior lights come into play, when they dim down because of it. But like I said, completely random and erratic

-The engine also randomly stalls, but it always starts back up after stalling, but sometimes to just immediately stall again. It has happened to me at least twice while moving at speed (25-30mph), but usually just when I'm at red lights, or stop signs. Very annoying..
There also doesn't seem to be consistent power through the entire RPM range. Kind of hard to explain. Say I'm doing a 3rd gear pull, when the RPM's hit around 3800-4000, the power begins to shudder. Think of the engine taking in air through short "puffs" instead of sucking it in smoothly.

These are the main things I am concerned about, mainly because I can't find reliable or informative information on them. So I'm kind of hoping some of you guys might have some experience in this area. If you want to, just pick one of the issues and give me your opinion on it. But if you're experienced in all of them, please shed some light!

...Please

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
freemancomputer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119944
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 freemancomputer Good Standing Member
For the front end jack up the car and see if you can wiggle the tire both side to side and up and down. There should be no movement. I had a clunking noise coming from mine that was a bad sawy bar and link and a bad ball joint.

The other things I'm not sure about.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
NickZ20
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 160058
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 NickZ20 Good Standing Member
It sounds to me like you have multiple front end issues. The motor mounts in our cars suck, so that's something to check. The turning and click click click sound is a huge cv shaft sign. Also check out your sway bar links, and sway bar.

The sound in the sounds like worn pads on a sticking caliper.

The idle issue could be a million things, first check for vacuum leaks, if not it could be the idle air control valve or a throttle position sensor.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Devakya
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZ20 View Post
It sounds to me like you have multiple front end issues. The motor mounts in our cars suck, so that's something to check. The turning and click click click sound is a huge cv shaft sign. Also check out your sway bar links, and sway bar.

The sound in the sounds like worn pads on a sticking caliper.

The idle issue could be a million things, first check for vacuum leaks, if not it could be the idle air control valve or a throttle position sensor.
Yeah, I suspected a CV axle to be a culprit. But I don't know how to check it for damage. I guess I'll be hitting up google, unless there is a write-up on it here. I also suspected the PCV hose for the idling problem, but once again I can't find any useful information on it. I dont know how PCV valves/hoses are set up, so I don't know what I'm looking for.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
NickZ20
Focus Enthusiast

Start by getting your hand in the axle see if it has play or makes sounds out of the ordinary.

If you have the zetec motor the pcv valve is front of the motor, driver's side under the exhaust manifold. It's plugged into a cylinder shape thing with the hose coming off the top of it.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devakya View Post
I also suspected the PCV hose for the idling problem, but once again I can't find any useful information on it.
um, try using the forum search box?? I just did and it found 47 pages of threads related to the phrase "pcv hose".
Old 05-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Check the rear PCV hose. It comes off of the intake manifold and wraps around the head by the coil and goes into a short metal tube. Squeeze it if it's soft, it's bad. If it is cracked, it's bad. The rear hose, Ford part #XS4Z-6N664-BA costs $27.67 at your local dealership. As far as the front hose do the same. Remove the PCV valve and replace it, it's a $4.00 part.

The clunk is probably your sway-bar end links. Moog makes a greaseable replacement which is a great part.

Look at and post (a picture)of your front tires tread section. It will say a bunch far as how they are worn.

Stalling, if your idle is going up and down 100-400- RPM on it's own, the Idle Air Control Valve is suspect. This can be cleaned or replaced, either way you will have to remove it.

Check the main battery ground to chassis(it's located under the airbox behind the battery(remove the airbox to get to it)unbolt the ground on the fender and clean both contact points with a wire brush or wheel until it is bright shiny metal. Re-attach and cover with dielectric grease.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 05-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
For clunking on bumps, check sway bar links, strut mounts, ball joins, and bushings. The clunking around turns is more than likely the CV axle.

As for the noise in the rear end, place a jack under each rear control arm. Raise the wheels off the ground, and grab each wheel. Shake them around, and feel for any movement. It could be wheel bearings, or a number of bushing in the back.

For the engine, check for pcv issues, and search for IAT issues.

Edit, for the shaking when braking, brake rotors are probably warped. Get them turned. Oriellys charges me $8 per rotor to turn.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
NickZ20
Focus Enthusiast

Any luck?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Devakya
Focus Rookie

Awesome guys, thanks. I work alot so It will be a little while before I can start replacing things. But I'll be sure to post pics/results when I do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks