Help regarding an Airbox in a 2008 Focus - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
manrc
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Fan#: 145017
Location: El Centro, CA
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 manrc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help regarding an Airbox in a 2008 Focus

Hello, I have been a reading member of your community a while back. (I'm sorry for the bad english, also I have almost no knowledge of cars.)

I am posting this to request your advice. About a year ago I purchased a 2008 Focus 2008 PZEV, Since I purchased it the Check Engine light have been on. I while ago I decided to take it to the shop to have it checked.

The mechanic told me that the was an (air leak?) where the air box joins the engine, right after the MAF sensor. The thing is, since i purchased an used car, the previous owner had made some alterations; he installed a different air filter, something like this:



And my mechanic told me it looked very "home made" (for lack of a better word to describe it), that the piece was all leaky, my mechanic tightened the part where the MAF sensor joined the engine so the Check Engine light would turn off.

It did, and it lasted for a few weeks (I'm guessing it got loose). But now I want a definite fix, so I am wondering if anybody in here could help me regarding this issue. I can´t seem to find a part online (new air box) that seems to fit or looks anything like the one already in there.

I am attaching some pictures of how my current Air box assy/filter.









Thank you very much!


manrc is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Marde
Focus Enthusiast
 
Marde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 115991
Location: Mesa, AZ
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Posts: 388
FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Your car has a good “homemade” filter setup. Many of us also use that setup. We call that homemade filter a “Stealth CAI” (CAI = Cold Air Intake). It is good to have, but yours needs some adjustments so nothing will touch the filter when the engine is running. Your filter looks like it might be damaged, and you may need to replace it.

Your car had a “lifetime” air filter before, and it was replaced with your Stealth CAI. Many people delete that lifetime air filter and replace it with a Stealth CAI, an after-market CAI or SRI system. I did the Stealth CAI, and I am happy with it. I used a K&N filter that fits onto the MAF Tube very easily.

Here is the filter I used;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some other threads that discuss the filter you have ->>

Check this out - External website:
http://www.ineedawebsite.com/Blazing...lth%20CAI.html

Stealth CAI--What to expect and what NOT to do:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195366

Stealth CAI - Which filter:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=86920

Here is an after-market CAI
http://www.fswerks.com/products/fswe...-focus-duratec
Marde is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
manrc
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Fan#: 145017
Location: El Centro, CA
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 manrc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for your help! I will check the links.
manrc is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic
 
SlickWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Fan#: 116476
Location: Orlando, FL
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Posts: 1,700
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Its a stealth intake, if you wanted I have the stock 09 intake, I would trade you but I would need yours first.
__________________
'09 Sangria Red SES -FRPP Suspension - Massive Rear Toe Arms - Stalled
SlickWilly is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
elsolo
Focus Fanatic
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96835
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Posts: 1,921
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Get the parts off a junkyard car, go back to stock.

That filter seems like it is slid pretty far up on the MAF tube, I wouldn't be surprised if the airflow through the MAF tube is turbulent rather than orderly, making it give less accurate readings to the ECU.
__________________
2.3, home fabbed Mustang GT brakes, SVT suspension
67 Chevelle SS-496, owned since 1991
elsolo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
NickFocus09
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Fan#: 145065
Location: Bay area, CA
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SE Focus

Posts: 1
FF Reputation: 1 NickFocus09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just get an fswerks CAI better then buying a new pzev intake those are a pain to take on and off anyway.
NickFocus09 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic
 
SlickWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Fan#: 116476
Location: Orlando, FL
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Posts: 1,700
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Spend 200$ or spend 40$. I'll take the 3 minutes it takes to install a junkyard box then 200$ for a pipe and filter.
__________________
'09 Sangria Red SES -FRPP Suspension - Massive Rear Toe Arms - Stalled
SlickWilly is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
Marde
Focus Enthusiast
 
Marde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fan#: 115991
Location: Mesa, AZ
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

Posts: 388
FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Get the parts off a junkyard car, go back to stock.

That filter seems like it is slid pretty far up on the MAF tube, I wouldn't be surprised if the airflow through the MAF tube is turbulent rather than orderly, making it give less accurate readings to the ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
Spend 200$ or spend 40$. I'll take the 3 minutes it takes to install a junkyard box then 200$ for a pipe and filter.
Hi guys, my post is directed at the OP and at those I quoted. I am confused by your advice. I thought the majority of FF’s with an old (sometimes even new) lifetime filter were either; (1) annoyed by it (2) wishing they had a different filter type (3) replaced it with a Stealth, other CAI or SRI.

Advising that someone “go back to a lifetime filter” seems unnecessary, more work, more cost than just getting it repaired. You realize that changing, reinstalling, maintaining the lifetime filter requires removing a wheel and the wheel well liner right? <rhetorical> However, I understand that in some unique circumstances it might be needed.

My Stealth CAI (K&N filter) cost 40 bucks, and I also bought a cleaning kit for (?) 20 bucks. I have no facts that my car gets better mpg or has any performance changes. I “think” my car breathes, runs and sounds better. My firm advice to anyone with a lifetime filter is to delete it if old and maybe even if it is new-ish.

Yes, the OP’s Stealth setup was done poorly. I do not know why he has a big hose clamped on the bottom of the diffuser box -> and then clamped onto the top of the MAF tube? <-Something goofy there. Additional hose clamped onto the bottom of the MAF Tube ->then onto the cone filter, in order to adapt a size difference. I believe the OP Stealth should be reworked by someone familiar with Mod and with some TLC to get it done properly.
Marde is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic
 
SlickWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Fan#: 116476
Location: Orlando, FL
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Posts: 1,700
FF Reputation: 5 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Calm your nuts everybody.


OP has a 2008, different air box.



What is your argument about the air box being so hard to install? Good call.
__________________
'09 Sangria Red SES -FRPP Suspension - Massive Rear Toe Arms - Stalled
SlickWilly is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
elsolo
Focus Fanatic
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96835
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Posts: 1,921
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post
Hi guys, my post is directed at the OP and at those I quoted. I am confused by your advice. I thought the majority of FF’s with an old (sometimes even new) lifetime filter were either; (1) annoyed by it (2) wishing they had a different filter type (3) replaced it with a Stealth, other CAI or SRI.

Advising that someone “go back to a lifetime filter” seems unnecessary, more work, more cost than just getting it repaired. You realize that changing, reinstalling, maintaining the lifetime filter requires removing a wheel and the wheel well liner right? <rhetorical> However, I understand that in some unique circumstances it might be needed.

My Stealth CAI (K&N filter) cost 40 bucks, and I also bought a cleaning kit for (?) 20 bucks. I have no facts that my car gets better mpg or has any performance changes. I “think” my car breathes, runs and sounds better. My firm advice to anyone with a lifetime filter is to delete it if old and maybe even if it is new-ish.

Yes, the OP’s Stealth setup was done poorly. I do not know why he has a big hose clamped on the bottom of the diffuser box -> and then clamped onto the top of the MAF tube? <-Something goofy there. Additional hose clamped onto the bottom of the MAF Tube ->then onto the cone filter, in order to adapt a size difference. I believe the OP Stealth should be reworked by someone familiar with Mod and with some TLC to get it done properly.
I recently removed the lifetime PZEV filter on my Focus and installed a FSWerks CAI. I am quite familiar with what it takes to do it. Removing the factory parts was not a hassle in the least. Installing the CAI netted zero gains except for more noise IMHO. I will most likely be removing it and putting the factory setup back on because I don't care for the noise. I am going to do a few more tankfuls of gas to gather data first.

There is no CA smog legal CAI for PZEV Foci.
Since the OP is in CA, he'll probably have to put a factory one on there at some point in the next two years or find a crooked smog man, which is a lot harder now than it was 20 years ago.

Just one man's opinion, we all differ on what makes the most sense for a particular situation.
__________________
2.3, home fabbed Mustang GT brakes, SVT suspension
67 Chevelle SS-496, owned since 1991
elsolo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.