Water in Passenger footwell - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
ChrisH2005
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63391
What I Drive: 2006 Silver Focus 1.8TDCi

FF Reputation: 1 ChrisH2005 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Water in Passenger footwell (Now Fixed!!)

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I bought a 2006(56) Focus 1.8TDCi in January. Noticed a water leak in the passenger footwell a few weeks later, that was soaking the carpet, just in front of the passenger seat, but.... not up into the footwell. After the carpet dried, the felt underneath is continually soaked. I have returned to dealer. They have now had the car for a fortnight, and have confirmed there is a leak, but have failed to find the origin. They have removed and resealed the windscreen, but that appears to be all they have done. I know there was a problem on the MK1s for this, but anyone any ideas on the MK2. I am close to asking for the car to be replaced as I feel this leak is never going to be found, and would appreciate some advice..

Thanks in advance

Chris

Last edited by ChrisH2005; 03-20-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: information to others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
djmontara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59303
What I Drive: 2003 Ink Blue Focus 1.8 Zetec Ghia

FF Reputation: 3 djmontara Good Standing Member
check pollen filter cover? mk1s had this problem.. it wasnt sealing properly and so they made a modified metal cover.. donno how this is on the mk2 though...
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
it may also be a warped panel by/on the AC....condenser I believe. basically though if I remember correctly, it's a warped panel somewhere down there. (on the US version, though I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same)

hope that helps

and to FF
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Could also be the grommet for the heater lines. For the US spec cars that is on your drivers side close to the tunnel, assuming it would be on the passenger side for you. Might also be what Mike is talking about, dunno.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Have you been running the AC much? Leaks around the evaporator housing can get on the carpet.....or a clogged drain hose can do the same thing.

But more likely....exterior water is leaking in. This can always be found.....but you may need to remove the carpet. Lay down a bunch of paper, and hose down the car, checking the paper for wet spots frequently. The leak will probably be related to the cowl area, but there are also some wire bundles that enter the car under the front fenders. Water can get past a faulty seal and enter the car.

It's fixable.....but tricky to find.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
niko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8267
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 ATX, 191,000 miles so far

FF Reputation: 1 niko Good Standing Member
/\/\/\/\/\ I agree, if water was in front of the passenger seat, but not in the footwell, then the door must be leaking somehow. MAYBE the windshield at its highest point has a leak, but if they replaced that and you still have water, it's gotta be the door..

When I got my focus I had a water leak in the BACK, I would get water just behind the passenger seat, a nice puddle of it. It took two tries for them to fix it, it was something to do with the weatherstrip around the passenger door.

When I would look at it, I would think, how the heck could water get there, from here....but it just did..because even if the door was leaking it didn't look like it could get to where the water was, but hey water is a tricky thing lol.

-niko
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
ChrisH2005
Focus Rookie

Thanks guys. I will get them to check the door, I think they are concentrating on the front of the car. If its a warped panel, is it still repairable?? When they find the fault, I will let you know the outcome.

I am sure its external water, as it does not smell of anything, certainly not antifreeze anyhow. just smells like standing water.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
ChrisH2005
Focus Rookie

Water LEak Fixed 2006 Focus

Hi thought I would post the fix for this...

After 3 weeks, the ford dealer finally decided to remove the dash, and found the leak in 5 mins. Seems that at manufacter, the Yellow thick sealant between the A post/Front Bulkhead/Passenger inner wing/ was not properly sealed, and there was a 2mm gap of sealant missing. This was resealed, and all well again, they have just bloody broken the drivers side heated front screen now....... at least they will fix, just bloody typical.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->