Question about shifting on track - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 55338
What I Drive: 2000 VW Passat TDI

FF Reputation: 3 Executionerhk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
so if drag i want to slipp the clutch a bit?
like push a little gas before I drop the clutch?

and if it is on track, i drop the clutcht then floor it?
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Bone Stock Yellow ZX3"SOLD"
"REBORN" w/ AZFS22C Gap 0.060and Ford Racing Wire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
for slipping the clutch, you have ur foot on the gas and clutch at the same time. and unless dragging, you never wanna just drop teh clutch.

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

i am confused...
can u just tell me one more time how?

how do I drive on track with the clutch?
and how do I drive on drag race?
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

for dragging you slip the clutch in 1st only to launch. after that its regular shifting. for track racing, there is alot more, but for a novice, just shift regularly. you will learn how to keep your car in gear going around corners and when to shift along w/ eventually heal-toe driving. First you want to learn the proper lines. then you will want to learn your braking points. Then you learn to combine your shifting w/ your braking points. you need to learn altrenate lines. but basically, you get out there by doing it!!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #15

Fan#: 57330
What I Drive: 2004 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 age Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
driving on the track isnt rocket science but you need to set a few things straight before you go.

before you even go: make sure you can heel-toe. when you downshift, your rpm will jump up and cause a jolt. doing this repeatedly at 5000rpm kills the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain. the jolt can also unsettle the car causing you to skid/slide as you enter the corner. heel-toe is when you hit the throttle a bit while downshifting to match the rpm, reducing the jolt. google "how to heel toe". you should find what you need.

at the track: before you go out in your car, sit with a more experienced driver. he/she will show you the layout of the track, what speed/gears to use and point out any thing important (e.g run off areas). take note of where/when the diver brakes and shifts, and also the lines.

on the track: when you take your car out, try to take an instructor (if there is one) or a more experienced driver as a passenger. they can help you out and let you know if you are doing anything wrong. dont try going too fast on the first few laps or you will spin out. get the lines right first then slowly build up speed each lap. brake a bit later/harder, turn in a bit quicker and get on the gas a bit earlier. if you start sliding and wheel spinning then slow down a bit.

shifting: as a general rule of thumb you want to do all braking in a straight line. braking hard and turning together will cause you to understeer or spin off. if needed, downshift BEFORE you start turning to keep the engine in the power band (above 3000prm). apply a little bit of gas through the corner to keep momentum (but not too much or you will get wheelspin) as you start to exit the corner, slowly unwind the steering and add gas. gear up at about 6000rpm.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

i did look it up.
i don know when I do down shift, engine rmp will go up and match the tranny speed, which jurk the car.

so this is when heel toe come in.
but what rmp should I be in.
i know most cars power band is around 3 -4 k.
which mean if we are below 3k then will need to down shift, is that correct?
so if we do down shifting, is the true we only have to rev the car once?
or we have to make sure it is around 3-4k for the lower gear rpm?

what happen if I put the engine in higher rpm than it should?
will it just give you a litte tire spin? which may cause lost of traction right?
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

well, you shouldn't just start heal toe driving. you should go to the track and drive in one gear too high. you will be slow until you can get teh track layout. Proper Heal Toe shifting takes a while. You need to practice it at low rpm b4 you go to the high rpm. you will prolly go through a few clutches b4 you get it perfect, and you may mess up ur synchros. first don't worry about keeping the car in gear. get the line down. then worry about keeping the car in gear.

O, and if you go into the turn while braking too hard, you will get oversteer, not understeer. The back end will rip around from behind you and ur off of the track.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

how do i handle over and under steer?
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #19
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

countersteer!! turn ur wheels in the direction of the skid, or just don't brake into a turn too hard or go to fast while turning!!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #20

Fan#: 57330
What I Drive: 2004 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 age Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^yep countersteer if you oversteer. but its hard to say exactly what to do. every situation is different. you will figure it out when it happens to you.

if you are understeering in a front wheel drive car (e.g focus), there are 2 causes. if its happening when you turn in, you are going too fast. slow down. if its happening mid corner and on the exit, you are using too much gas. apply the throttle lightly and more gradually. once the car has completely left the corner (i.e going straight) you can floor the gas.

for shifting, as a rough guide, keep the engine above 3000rpm.

mlbbaseball, i kinda disagree about heel-toe-ing later on. i feel that you should be competent at heel-toe before you even venture out onto the track. i agree that for the first few laps you should keep it a gear too high and learn the track layout. but after that, you would need to be shifting gears and every time to downshift, you should heel-toe it.

"O, and if you go into the turn while braking too hard, you will get oversteer, not understeer. The back end will rip around from behind you and ur off of the track. "

yeah usually it causes oversteer. works kinda like lifting off the throttle. but sometimes it can cause understeer. this one time i was turning in too fast and riding the brakes too hard. this put way too much pressure into the front tyres and i started understeering before the back end had a chance to whip around. another time i tried brushing the brakes mid corner to get some oversteer but again i hit the brakes too hard and made the front slide out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->