"How To"....repair a seat belt that's slow to retract. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
"How To"....repair a seat belt that's slow to retract.

My '06 had slow retracting front seat belts.....I almost had to push the belt to get it to retract all the way. To repair this the book would tell you to disconnect the battery. But since I'm not actually unhooking any wires, or removing the retractor itself, I didn't do it.

Start by removing the trim pieces that cover the belt.....I had to remove four total. There are other how-to's describing this. It's fairly easy. Get it to the point of this first picture.

The problem was gunk/crap build-up on the center belt loop...visible in this photo...

That loop comes off the body easily by hand, and then comes off the belt. I had to scrape and use #400 sandpaper to get the thing clean.

I gave a light spray with a dry silicone, then put it back on.

The upper belt loop is plastic, and cannot be removed from the belt. Mine was fairly clean. But I carefully cleaned it with a mild solvent. Be careful not to get the belt dirty.

So there you go.....the belt now pulls itself back in without any help, like it was new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
pistolgripbmx
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49331
What I Drive: 86 ranger, 2007 focus zx3 s

FF Reputation: 38 pistolgripbmx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I'll have to check into that, my passenger side doesn't retract back by itself. Mine might have a bigger problem but I may as well try this first.

Good job!
teamduratec #143!
focus sport cool-flo, f2 v.3 header, trubendz 2.5 SS, frpp 1.5" front sportline rear, vf rear engine mount, 93oct Focus Power tune
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
niko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8267
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 ATX, 191,000 miles so far

FF Reputation: 1 niko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks bluefront!

I'm not sure if that is what is wrong with mine or not, my drivers side really does not want to retract anymore. But I have a ZX3, so i don't know if it has the intermediate belt loop or not.

-niko
Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46135
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver ST3

FF Reputation: 5 myfocusrocks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Also, what you REALLY need to watch out for... is you HAVE to line up the plastic trim piece the belt goes through just perfect into the little hole on the mechanism (the part that allows you to adjust the height it sits on the shoulder) or the belt wont retract at all. I figured that out the hard way when I took the trim off to remove my rear door panel. I thought the belt itself was messed up, and it was under warranty, so I took it to a dealer, they got me a new belt... but the only thing wrong was that I didnt align it back up right. Once you get the trim off, you will see what Im talking about. At least, this is how it is in my ZX3, not sure about the sedan/ZX5/wagon.
Team Duratec # 136
RIFF Crew
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
^^^^^Yeah it's the same. A little pin on the outer trim piece that aligns with a hole in the upper belt adjuster mechanism. It's easy to do, but you might not notice it.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice little write ... Mine aren't bad yet ... but that is good to know.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->