no fire on old computer, no crank on "new" computer - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Justin svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58325
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 2 Justin svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
no fire on old computer, no crank on "new" computer

hey ive been having problems with my car not starting and the garage said it needed a computer so i picked one up from the junk yard. with the old computer it cranks fine but has no fire at all (new coil, wires, plugs) i took off the negitive battery cable removed the old computer put the "new" one in and put the cable back on. the guy told me to turn the key to the run position 3 or 4 times then try to start it. tried and nothing at all. i did notice the gauges swept and the fake security lights was flashing fast. what else is fire realated? he said theirs like an ecm right under the coil that goes bad is this possible or is he trying to sell me more crap. and is it possible that i need the key for the new computer?

2002 silver ZX3 SVT #2318: Tom's Tune, 8.2mm Taylor Thundervolt wires, Custom ORP, Full Prothane bushing swap

"I buy things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
when you had the old computer did you check the fuel pump? that would have been a more likely place to start if you cranked but had no fire.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Justin svt
Focus Addict

it had no fire at the spark plugs i dident check preasure with a gauge but there was fuel there and it seemed alright to me. Thanks for your quick reply
2002 silver ZX3 SVT #2318: Tom's Tune, 8.2mm Taylor Thundervolt wires, Custom ORP, Full Prothane bushing swap

"I buy things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know"
Old 03-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'm not sure about your 2000 model......but many new cars require you to reprogram the computer when it is changed, reprogram it so the security system doesn't think the car is being stolen.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Justin svt
Focus Addict

yeah that sounds about right but im not even sure my car has an alarm sustem...unless its factory becuse i dont even have power locks. but i donno

Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
devil_dog_switch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55359
What I Drive: 2003 Black Dodge Durango

FF Reputation: 3 devil_dog_switch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i say get the part from a auto store replace it.. if it works your good, if not, put the old one back in and take the new one back to the store, tell them it didn't fit or it wasn't the problem and you already solved it or something.. i used that trick alot.

2003 Dodge Durango Sport
2002 Ford Focus SPI *SOLD* you will be missed
Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
joshs_2000focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60441
What I Drive: 2000 blue se

FF Reputation: 1 joshs_2000focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
when you put that new computer in your car did you get the black ring that gose with it? (its the one behind the plastic around your key) if you did not your car will not get fuel or fire when you change the computer i would recommend that you chang the key tumblers key for the car you got it from and that ring. if you did not do all that you got to take it to ford to get it reprogramed
Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_jkj View Post
hey ive been having problems with my car not starting and the garage said it needed a computer so i picked one up from the junk yard. with the old computer it cranks fine but has no fire at all (new coil, wires, plugs) i took off the negitive battery cable removed the old computer put the "new" one in and put the cable back on. the guy told me to turn the key to the run position 3 or 4 times then try to start it. tried and nothing at all. i did notice the gauges swept and the fake security lights was flashing fast. what else is fire realated? he said theirs like an ecm right under the coil that goes bad is this possible or is he trying to sell me more crap. and is it possible that i need the key for the new computer?
All focuses use a Security key that is coded directly to the computer

the computer you picked up out of the scrap yard will need the key that belonged to the car you took the computer out of... you cannot use another persons computer in your car unless you have the ignition cylinder and key to match it (that the key was programmed into)

the rapid flashing LED means mismatched Security Code and your cars in Antitheft mode which pretty much shuts down your car

That black ring behind the column cover is nothing but a receiver changing that won't do anything

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Justin svt
Focus Addict

so i need the whole ignition cylinder and key? is it hard to change? could ford reprogram it without having the car..like take the code off of my old one? thanks

Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #10
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
well Ford can reprogram the scrap yard ECU no prob with your original existing keys
It will run ya about 150 bux

they will tap into the computer port (OBDII), tell the ecu to wipe the previous keys then run it through the programming cycle of your existing keys
you will need to have the car itself present, with ALL your keys and remotes to the car for that process.. and no the car doesn't have to be running for them to do it

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->