Power Door Locks and Trunk Release Dead - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
gratefulluke
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63264
What I Drive: 2002 Twilight Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 gratefulluke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Power Door Locks and Trunk Release Dead

Hi, Iím a newb here so be gentle! Iím having a problem with the power door locks on a 2002 SE Sedan I just bought. After purchasing the car, I realized that the power door locks (either using the FOB or on the control on the door) do not work, along with the power trunk opener (again, either on the FOB or the button on the dash). I figured its not the FOB because when I click the lock button on it twice, I hear the horn blow its ďIím locked!Ē signal.

Fast forward a week...I speak to the previous owner of the car about the problem (who conveniently didnít mention the problem but obviously knew about it). She told me that the car was wrecked and that the front passenger side door was replaced with a door salvaged from a junked car. She also said that the autobody techs told her about it but she was very vague about anything else they could have said regarding the issue. I know that she was paying for the repair out-of-pocket, so I suspect that this may have something to do with why it was not properly fixed (in an effort to do the repair as cheaply as possible, etc.). The replacement door is equipped with both power lock and window. I suspect the fuse is not blown either, but I have yet to check that so Iíll post back if that is the problem (I could only hope).

What I suspect is that there is something disconnected or turned off somewhere causing the power door locks and trunk to not function. My fear is that its not a harness the autobody techs could have just reconnected, etc. or they would have done it. I know about the power locks/alarm receiver by the passenger side behind the glovebox (noticed it while replacing the heater blower resistor module). I have yet to check to see if I hear a click from the unit while using the FOB (which seems to work, as stated above). Does anyone know where I could start to find the solution to this problem? Having to manually lock the doors every time I exit the car is lame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
fullyFOUCUSED
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54381
What I Drive: 2000 black zts

FF Reputation: 1 fullyFOUCUSED Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
we had they same problem as far as them not workin and i just replaced the fuse that is located behind the fuse box. you have to take the 2 nuts off the box and take it out and there should be a yellow fuse under all those wires. i hope this helps

if im of help please rep

zetec crew #278
Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Yea i have the same problem...Pretty sure it's just the fuse but to totally honest... I've been to lazy to pull the fuse panel to change it. Might do that today seeing as it's nice out.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 03-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
gratefulluke
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Update: I checked the fuse. Lo and behold, it was blown. I changed it out and now the power door locks and trunk release work! However, that front passenger side door that was replaced with a salvage door....its power lock still doesn't work.

Now where do I go from here? I feel like this narrows it down quite a bit. Do I need to remove the door panel and test some circuits? What else? I hope I don't have to replace the regulator because I hear thats mighty expensive. Any helpful info is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulluke View Post
Update: I checked the fuse. Lo and behold, it was blown. I changed it out and now the power door locks and trunk release work! However, that front passenger side door that was replaced with a salvage door....its power lock still doesn't work.

Now where do I go from here? I feel like this narrows it down quite a bit. Do I need to remove the door panel and test some circuits? What else? I hope I don't have to replace the regulator because I hear thats mighty expensive. Any helpful info is greatly appreciated!
Was this accident news to you when you went and confronted her about the door locks?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
fullyFOUCUSED
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54381
What I Drive: 2000 black zts

FF Reputation: 1 fullyFOUCUSED Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
glad that helped for the most part as for the pass. door im not really for sure about it

if im of help please rep

zetec crew #278
Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
RideRed0331
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56012
What I Drive: 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec-V

FF Reputation: 3 RideRed0331 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
i just stumbled upon this thread and have the same issues with the door locks and hatch release. which fuse box do you pull off, the one under the hood or the one under the dash?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
gratefulluke
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Its more of a fuse block, and it comes off with two screws that will be pretty evident when you see it. The power door/trunk release fuse is the only one that is on the side that was facing the firewall. You'll have to forcefully move aside a wad of ziptied wires to get to it. I was sure the problem lied elsewhere but it was definitely the fuse. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
JPSCOTT713
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60801
What I Drive: 2009 Black SE Sedan 5sp.

FF Reputation: 5 JPSCOTT713 Good Standing Member
so once again did you not know about the wreck when you bought it because that is a legal responsibility of the seller in most states, as for the pass door, the wires could be clipped, the switch could be bad. are you getting pwr windows? to start go buy a cheap lil electrical test light from the store, take the door panel off, note the wires running to the switchs are they connected well? if so unplug them hook your test light ground to a good spot on the door, on the side opposite the switch, check the wires in the plug for power, dont have your year so search around on here a bit for a wire diagram so you can figure which ones should be hot, if all is ok, then plug back together, trace the wires to the switchs make sure all is ok, no cuts breaks grounding out what so ever, grounding could be the reason for the fuse blow as well. if not it might just be the switchs are bad sitting in whatever weather in the junkyard. pm me if you need some more help
SR/TEAM DURATEC #156
Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
RideRed0331
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56012
What I Drive: 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec-V

FF Reputation: 3 RideRed0331 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
thanks, found the fuse and replaced it. door locks worked perfectly when i pressed the buttons a few times, but the first time i hit the hatch release the fuse popped and didn't open. any ideas on what's causing the blown fuses? seriously appreciate the help thus far

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
power locks trunk door