Notes on Xcal2: Problems and Resolutions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Notes on Xcal2: Problems and Resolutions

Xcal2 Problems and Resolutions.
These are my notes and problem resolution regarding the Xcal2. These are intended to address some common or uncommon issues (new) users may encounter. These are based on personal experience and follow the form Problem / Resolution. There may be more than one Resolution to an issue. Also note that I do own the SCT advantage (Pro Racer) package. So issues may be specific to the loading of tunes from a PC. It is hoped that others will provide there Problem and Resolutions as well.

Problem:
Xcal2 Cannot read DTC codes, read strategy or perform other functions while connected to the OBDII port.
Resolution:
If the Xcal2 is brand new. Gently clean the contacts with Isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner.
(Manufacturers will often apply a light oil to electrical contacts to prohibit corrosion and extend shelf life. Over time this coating can harden)
Resolution:
(Advantage III)
Delete and reload all tunes.
(While loading a tune from PC (WinXP Pro). I had several other programs running. Xcal2 became corrupted. HINT: turning key on when instructed by Xcal2, The vehicle chime was inhibited. All Xcal2 functions went to timeout.)

Problem:
OBD-II port fuse is blown.
Resolution:
Replace OBD-II port fuse.
(Note: It is possible to plug the Xcal2 plug 'upside down' into the OBD-II port. No damage occurs to Xcal2).

Problem:
Loading a tune does not complete. (specific error not recorded)
Resolution:
Insure that the Fuel Pump fuse (50 amp) and the Engine Fan fuse (15 amp) are pulled before attempting to load a tune. Also turn off radio, Interior heater fan etc.
Resolution: Insure that the cord of the Xcal2 is not wrapped around your foot or otherwise subject to movement / disconnection during the load process.

Last of the Hatches #28

Last edited by S0C0nFused; 03-01-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 2,287, Level 28
Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Problem:
Xcal2 Cannot read DTC codes, read strategy or perform other functions while connected to the OBDII port.
Resolution:
If the Xcal2 is brand new. Gently clean the contacts with Isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner.
(Manufacturers will often apply a light oil to electrical contacts to prohibit corrosion and extend shelf life. Over time this coating can harden)

Do what?

Cleaning contacts has nothing to do with the X2. If the device does not read anything, check fuses and check for a chip already installed in the processor.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Blivit
Focus Addict

Points 2,287, Level 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Problem:
Xcal2 will not communicate with laptop for data logging session.
Resolution:
Enable the laptop serial port in the laptop BIOS settings.

X2 does not use a serial connection. It uses USB through a virtual com port (which is why there is an actual com port number as USB does not use com ports normally.)

The com port in livelink actually does nothing with the X2. It was a carry over from one of our older devices.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,949, Level 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blivit View Post
Do what?

Cleaning contacts has nothing to do with the X2. If the device does not read anything, check fuses and check for a chip already installed in the processor.
1st time I hooked up my Xcal2, it could not read DTC, Strategy, load a tune etc (several insertions). I corrected the problem by cleaning the contacts on the Xcal2. I did nothing else. After than it had no issues.
As I said, these are personal experiences. Now perhaps it was the OBD-II port that needed cleaning as insertion was wet. BTW: All fuses were good and I don't have a 'chip' to install. Or are you saying you were not aware of the coating?
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,949, Level 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
X2 does not use a serial connection. It uses USB through a virtual com port (which is why there is an actual com port number as USB does not use com ports normally.)

The com port in livelink actually does nothing with the X2. It was a carry over from one of our older devices.
Oh wait. Crap! Wrong device! Ok. Now what was I doing where I had to enable the serial port??? But your right Blivit. Heck I knew that, the Xcal2 is sitting right here. Will edit that out. Thanks!
(actually, I was expecting more comment about how I managed to plug the cable in upside down! )
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Blivit
Focus Addict

Points 2,287, Level 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
1st time I hooked up my Xcal2, it could not read DTC, Strategy, load a tune etc (several insertions). I corrected the problem by cleaning the contacts on the Xcal2. I did nothing else. After than it had no issues.
As I said, these are personal experiences. Now perhaps it was the OBD-II port that needed cleaning as insertion was wet. BTW: All fuses were good and I don't have a 'chip' to install. Or are you saying you were not aware of the coating?
I am well aware of non-conductive paste on electrical connections. However, I have never encountered it in the ALDL connector on any vehicle I have ever worked with.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,949, Level 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
I am well aware of non-conductive paste on electrical connections. However, I have never encountered it in the ALDL connector on any vehicle I have ever worked with.
Like I stated Blivit. All I did was clean the connectors and then it was working. Before cleaning, nada!
Last of the Hatches #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.