What are the pros and cons of lowering? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
suilung
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4707
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 suilung Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What are the pros and cons of lowering?

Hello,

I have a stock 2003 SE Sedan, (well except for the soon to arrive Steeda intake), and was tinkering around with the idea of lowering the car. My concerns are, that if lowered, it may handle better, but if I drive over something of consequence, the struts are gonna bust a hole through my floor. Also, I live a snow belt area, and wonder the turn out with driving in that when the car is lowered. Any normal car up my way, ALWAYS gets snow and ice crammed into their wheel wells when the snow gets heavy.

Just wondered if someone would give me the good and the bad of this alteration.

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
02focuszx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1155
What I Drive: 05 zx3 se sangria red

FF Reputation: 1 02focuszx3 Good Standing Member
well, i haven't really found any "cons" with my lowering, but i live in a non-snow area...well, for now....i'm moving back up around your area next June
Old 07-11-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
I live in a snow area and have had no problems(1.6" drop). If you stay reasonable 1.5-1.8" drop, I wouldn't think you would have any issues. Now if you decide to go for the slammed look then yes you could probably rent your car out as a snowplow. If you are really concerned about it you could go with the SVT springs/dampner if they fit the SE, it only lowers the car about .75" but will give you much better handling.....kind of a middle of the road choice.

As far as the struts busting a hole through the floor, no...but again depending on how much you lower your car there will certain things you will need to watch out for curbs, those concrete stops in parking spaces, etc.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
HotRodWagon
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
pros: handling, looks
cons: bad roads and steep driveways...speed bumps, the usual
Old 07-13-2004, 12:19 AM   #5
lanting90
Show Off

Fan#: 1901
What I Drive: 2012 fusion SEL

FF Reputation: 2 lanting90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
u could always bag ur car, if ride height is a problem in the winter u can raise ur car, or lower it at will..only con of that, is it costs 2 much!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
MadWax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6627
What I Drive: 04 SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 MadWax Good Standing Member
Well from what I hear on the subject of bagging your car is there are many cons, they ride like a lawnmower at speeds over 30MPH, all the equipment and tanks add up weight fast, lines are almost always broke or leaking, you still have to preset a height or your alignment will always be off, and very few times is it ever a easy straight forward parts replacing install, many kits require cutting and welding to fit properly. I guess a few kits have come along that ride OK and do handle well, but then yes, you are talking BIG $$$$!! Over $3K last time I checked for a kit done right.

I have a lowered Talon Tsi, I drive it year round on NH roads, potholes, frost heaves, slush mounds, snow, ice, mud, you name it, I rarely to never encounter a scenario where I will hit so long as I stay on the road. The snow does pack up in the wells, but it also does that on my 2000 GMC with a 6" Pro Comp lift and 35" tires! Like any car, just get out and kick it to break it free when it builds up, and the turning of tires will grind some of it down to keep it from really freezing in. As soon as you try to leave the road, well, you bottom out obviously, but standard dirt roads and such are no problem, or speed bumps even and I lowered it a good 2 1/2" from where it was. I have the Eibach Sportlines on with Tokico Illuminas and RM Racing sway bars, the ride is tick rougher on rough roads but the control and feel is phenomenal, really feels like it is on rails, just point and shoot!! On smoother roads it actually rides better than the factory setup, it is only on the rough sections that you feel anything, and the roads here have irregularities about every 6 inches, they suck to say the least. I have 0 regrets in lowering it, it is the best thing I have done to date. Cornering power, feel, and control are extremely enhanced, I can go through a corner almost 10 MPH faster than before and never begin to feel a loss of control or threat of sliding/spinning out, and I currently have H rated tires on. Almost 0 body roll, the tires are the only thing you feel as they compress.

I can't wait to install a coilover kit on my ZX5, I have read many times how the RS can easily acheive cornering numbers that my Tsi barely makes now with what it has, so one step further must be awesome!! I think I read some where 1G is possible with Z rated tires? My Tsi would need a full Tein adjustable coilover kit to accomplish that with R rated tires!!

"The Cobalt firmly grabs you and whisks you along your way instantly. It does so with authority and poise, but while slipping relatively unnoticed through traffic, never being violent, or dare I say it, frightening. When you ask the SRT-4 to take you somewhere fast, it punches you in the face, throws you over its shoulder, and runs, screaming, so quickly that its tires can barely keep up."

Bookmarks & Social Networks