Advice installing wagon hatch spoiler - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Advice installing wagon hatch spoiler

OK, so I bought one of those factory wagon spoilers from one of our vendors, and had it painted by my bro in law. It uses bolts to install, no instructions came with it, so there will be some drilling.

Any advice? I was planning on making a template out of construction paper, then using that to make marks. I'll have to remove the trim around the back gate first. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be dimples for the spoiler back there, but I highly doubt it.

Thanks in advance.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I installed dozens of those things when I worked for a Nissan dealer......but they all came with a template. And you had to be very accurate with the holes you drilled.

The things had permanently installed studs on the spoiler...at least three. And the studs went through your new holes, attached by nuts underneath. Some of the spoilers also had plastic snaps on the outer edges.....these also required new holes, but just snapped into place without nuts. And there were sections of double-sided tape that went around your new holes that prevented water entry. And there was another hole to drill for wiring to any lights on the spoiler.

This was an install that a number of half-ass mechanics screwed up. One guy drilled the holes wrong on an all-aluminum deck lid....that screw-up cost the shop $1k.

Anyway....be careful. I'm thinking about getting one, and just using tape, maybe some silicone adhesive to attach it.

Oh one other thing.....don't use a normal drill bit. They leave jagged holes, and can dent the sheet metal. I always used a hi-speed set of sheet-metal bits. They left perfectly round holes.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Oregon-ized
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37274
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZTW 2.3L

FF Reputation: 82 Oregon-ized Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm in exactly the same situation as whynot. Bought the spoiler from Massive a while back, got it painted professionally, and when I stop procrastinating I will install it.
There are 4 threaded holes, 2 at each end, and 2 nylon pins closer to the center, but one of those is broken off. I plan to break off the other one and use some high quality double-sided tape to supplement the 4 bolts so that there's no wiggle or shake out on the highway. I would really rather drill only 4 holes than 6 if I can get away with it. No way would I just use tape/adhesive in lieu of the hardware fasteners. Anyway, making a template shouldn't be too hard. Thanks, bluefront, for the info about the drill bits. I'd figured they're all the same. Anyone have ideas about what specific tape (brand, size) to use for reinforcing the center section? A few inches ought to do it.
ATX Faction #33
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Thanks BlueFront. No template was provided. In my job, I spend a lot of time with drill bits. I was planning on using a smaller bit first, then drilling down so the excess would be crushed by the nut. When I installed my sunroof windshield, I used blue painters tape, but it was a glue down jobbie. If I could go back, of if this one ever loosens up, I'll get one of the vacuum held shields that I can remove to wax and clean the paint under it.

We'll see how it goes soon Oregon-ized. I'd be careful with that double sided tape so that you don't hold the spoiler up too high with it. I've got a lot of that rubberish shelf liner and carpet holder that's about 1/16 thick. That might work, but I don't know how it will handle heat and elements- LOL. As soon as I can, I'll get mine on, and do a write up with pics.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

OK Oregonized, I'm the guinea pig.

I'll go over the mistakes I made so you can hopefully do better. Here's the start. Making a template of the rear hatch lines.

I bought construction paper that was too small to cover the back of the car. I had to cut two pieces and fir them together. Another mistake I made was not lining up the back side of the construction paper with the inside of the hatch so I'd have that as a point of reference to keep me from putting the holes too far forward or rearward. The inside looks fairly straight so you should be able to line up a factory cut side of the construction paper and get a truer template than I did.

To trace the lines I used my hand to hold the construction paper down while I traced the outline of the outside of the hatch so I could cut it with scissors. Then I took it inside and lined the holes up using one side of scissors to poke through. Everything lined up fine. Now it's time to fit it to the car again.

I put down masking tape where I thought the holes would be so I'd have something to mark on- this pic is after I marked the holes.

I noticed that it looks like the inside holes line up with the inside edge of the roof sill. That's one reference point that I didn't notice until after I put the template back on the car. I used the third brake light as a point of reference to line things up- so now you have 2 crossways reference points. I used an 1/8 bit to drill pilot holes, and a 1/4" bit for the final hole. Be careful if you don't have a 1/8 bit- just use the 1/4, anything larger than 1/8 won't work well as a pilot bit.

With the hatch up, the spoiler will stay up there without any screws so you can make sure your holes line up, and mark where the holes didn't line up if yours end up off like mine were- 1/8 to 1/16 off with a home-made template isn't too bad.

OK, major bummer. Ford did not make these hatches easy to install the rear wing spoiler. I had to drill an access hole to be able to install the screws. I saw this earlier, and was ready to seek out high strength adhesives- but I didn't. I drilled a 1/2 hole, but ended up having to make it larger with a rotary rasp because it was just barely big enough to fit the screw and washer through. I figured out where to drill holes by drilling through from above first and guessing at the angle. Of course, that was wrong. I had hoped to have nice regular sized holes that I could use plugs in- but nope. In the end, every hole I drilled had to be modified slightly. I got close with the homemade template, but not perfect. I had to use the drill bit to widen each hole slightly to get it where the screws would go in. To hold the screw and washer together while inserting- I used electrical tape on my allen driver. If you use this trick, just apply it to the outside edge of the washer and around the outside of the head and driver so you can remove it easily- don't wrap it all up, or the tape will stay in there.

The end result- SUCCESS!!! Oh, I used touch up paint to paint the edges of the holes so rust wouldn't form later.

Quote:

Last edited by whynotthinkwhynot; 03-15-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Deaner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39531
What I Drive: 2002 ATX Twilight Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 31 Deaner Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
it looks GREAT!!!!!
<--EüRöFöCüS: 02 Twi Blu ZX5 FoFo Euroness SOLD!!!

New toy: TOYota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Thanks Dean!!

OH, I didn't think about it until just a while ago, but I believe that screw used to hold down the spoiler is an M6x1.25. No matter what, before you install your wagon spoiler, it might be possible to purchase some long pan head screws to go completely through the hatch to the spoiler. It would be very difficult to hit the right angle of attack, but you wouldn't have to drill as large of a hole on the bottom side to find a good angle. Then you could use a washer to cover the hole. It would be easier to remove than using the supplied screws. The supplied screws looked like stainless - but did have some magnetic hold. If I was ever to remove my spoiler, I'd have to leave an allen of the right size on a magnet for a few weeks before trying or suffer losing a screw inside the hatch somewhere that I might not be able to remove it. Just something to think about. I'm not even sure if you could find a screw and washer that would fit without hitting the body, but it's worth looking into.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
looks awesome man. i really like the wagon with a spoiler.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
drunkinmonkey
O SO SLO

Fan#: 55470
What I Drive: 00' Turbo zx3, 02' saturn sl1

FF Reputation: 67 drunkinmonkey Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looks great
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
K Dog
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 23554
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 10 K Dog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
How about a nice full pic of the car so we can get an overall impression?

Looks good!

Bookmarks & Social Networks