Ignition key stuck due to shifter? Help Please - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
bcrpc1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70220
What I Drive: 2005 dark blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 bcrpc1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 foci key will not come out

I have a 2005 zx3 that we can turn on and off but the key is stuck in the ignition and will not come out we bought it used with 74k on it it has just over 80k on it now but we did notice that when we move it to park or any other gear we can do so without having our foot on the brake just want to make sure the sensor is our issue as well and if that will fix ours if we remove the console and either clean it or replace the sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
youzerfriendly
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78805
What I Drive: 2007 silver se hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 youzerfriendly Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
when you in the car depress the shifter and just slide your finder away from the shifter button letting it pop out on its own eventually it will free the safety switch.. mine does that on my new car already '02 wagon.. as mentioned tho I just depress the button with the edge of my thumb and just slide it out of the way letting the button pop out with force
This worked on my 07 se hatchback. Basically, let the button POP out with It's full spring force a few times.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
doobious62
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87512
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 doobious62 Good Standing Member
Key stuck in ignition

Went to Ford dealership to get key out of ignition and they said "You need a new gear shift assembly". I asked them to show me the problem. They said that they has already put the assembly back together. Well the aassembly was dusty, and there were no fingerprints in the dust. So I took the car home. Called a mechanic friend of mine. He found that the little screw that holds the shifter knob in place was loose. He tightened the screw and the key came out.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
DrewN
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77872
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 DrewN Good Standing Member
Well i'm going to play with my '05 ZX5 tonight and see if i can get the key out! thanks fot posting your experiences on this issue.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
DrewN
Focus Rookie

stuck key

Last night i tried popping the button with no luck. Removing the negative cable from the battery did the trick so i think i'm heading the right direction. I'm going to start taking the center consel apart this weekend. Any advice? Where is this sensor/any screw i might need to tighten be located?

Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
DrewN
Focus Rookie

i'm having the samw problem on my '05 zx5. i'm hoping to tackle this prob this weekend, where is the sensor located? Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
doobious62
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87512
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 doobious62 Good Standing Member
The sensor is inside the shifter column. The screw is a hex screw on the left had site of the shifter knob. Make sure that screw is lined up with the thread hole on the shifter. When the holes line up, you will not the little connectors inside are fully connected.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
DrewN
Focus Rookie

thanks to everyone for your help. I found that the electrical connecter was a bit gooey from some type of soda, cleaned it up and so far so good, the car is back to normal!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
theradan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101668
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 theradan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
when you in the car depress the shifter and just slide your finder away from the shifter button letting it pop out on its own eventually it will free the safety switch.. mine does that on my new car already '02 wagon.. as mentioned tho I just depress the button with the edge of my thumb and just slide it out of the way letting the button pop out with force
I had the same problem today with my '06 ZX3...let that button pop out and presto! Thanks for posting this...I was going crazy!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
yup nice that happens to a few cars I get once in a awhile. interesting fix though I ought to try that.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->