Just bought my SVT!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
stmiller123
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118295
What I Drive: 2003 Black zx3 svt

FF Reputation: 1 stmiller123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just bought my SVT!!

Hello everyone dont bash on me to much, I do have some questions regarding my 2003 ford focus svt zx3. Its all stock except for after market air intake. Ok I was reading through some posts with the idle I guess its suppose to idle higer when first starting correct? 2nd question when I go to pull out from a dead stop and I dont rip on it I baby ir but I hear a sound like while pulling out its a sound of like the engine is having trouble pulling the car like its rumbling I know this does not make sense but maybe some input. 3rd thing I guess I have the wrong spark plugs in it. Autozone gave me zx3 ones they said it wouldnt matter but I looked on here and I guess it does so I bought new ones off of amazon. But will this hurt my car ive bewn driving it for a week like this I have ro due ro work but I will be getting the spark plugs tomorrow. While driving it, it feels very laggy like the throttle does not respond as well. But thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The spark plugs are probably creating the power issue you are experiencing. Get the correct plugs in there and report back. I use the Motorcraft copper core SP463's and have had good luck with them. They are cheap but you will need to replace them more often than a platinum (or similar) plug.

The SVT does seem to idle high on a cold start. I think mine hangs at around 1200 for a couple minutes. How high is yours sitting? An aftermarket tune is one of the best ways to fix that but a tune is rather expensive if that is the only reason you are getting a tune.
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
stmiller123
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you so much I bought denso spark plugs, my idle speed whwn stsrting up is between 1000 to 1400 after it warms up it goes to 900. Also when im idling my car steering wheels is shaking not to where is jaring me around but if I just lay my hand on it feels like im getting a massage could this be from wrong spark plugs as well
Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
There is good information here: http://forums.focaljet.com/ford-svt-...ark-plugs.html
to FF. there is a wealth of information about SVTFs here on FF, and on FJ.
How about some pics?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
stmiller123
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you, ill post pics later tonight after I get off of work.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
wesleykeithzimmer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114019
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus ST Tangerine

FF Reputation: 1 wesleykeithzimmer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My SVT idles when cold around 1200 for bout a couple min or two then drops back down to idle at 800-900rpm. Its a common thing for these cars cause they need to be warmed up to preform good. When it is very cold outside let the car warm up to normal temps before you go, if you drive around with a cold engine you might risk at damage to engine components.

Autozone will give you ZX3 parts that arent compatible with the SVT. Found that out with many parts i put on the car that didnt fit. Make sure you say its for a VIN 5 engine. Not a base zx3 is a VIN 3.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
stmiller123
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you so much man, honestly i should be getting my spark plugs today and im going to hurry up and swap them. Like when you pull out slowly can you hear like your engine roars very loudly like i dont know how to describe the engine sound but if i have the rpm's up higher around 2-3 grand it dont make the sound but if i pull out around 1000 grand or 1500 it sounds very different. Is that normal
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
wesleykeithzimmer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114019
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus ST Tangerine

FF Reputation: 1 wesleykeithzimmer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The sound your experiencing is the nature of the beast. Its how the engine load is preforming that makes the high or low tone noises. When you cruise at a certain speed its quiet , when you floor it its loud. Just the way that you control the engine will depend on the engine sound and the exhaust setup you have will also make a factor at the engine sound.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Send the denso back and go with the copper SP463 motocrafts , I wouldnt run the denso if they were given to me and there hotter then the sp463 plugs are

Your high idle is normal and the only way to change it is with a tune , a tune would also help your sluggish take off and some of your other issues and the flasher can datalog and make sure everything else is working properly , a tune is one of the best mods for your SVT

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
stmiller123
Focus Enthusiast

Guys i really appreciate it and i understand that im probably like the 100th person asking the same questions. The car is AWESOME I Love it. And for the spark plugs i bought Denso 5341 Spark Plug
So i should take those back then? If i put them in will it hurt my car any?

Bookmarks & Social Networks