FOCI Build is Complete, Brake question too! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58059
What I Drive: 2004 SVT SONIC BLUE EAP

FF Reputation: 1 kens03cobra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thumbs up FOCI Build is Complete, Brake question too!

Well then, as I am sure most of you know I started Tracking my Focus when it was completely stock, had a blast and got hooked.

Since then, I have made some major mods to the car and it is getting closer to being solely a track car. But for now, it is one hell of a DD as well

Here's the deal.. I was using Hawk HP+ pads on OEM rotors for the last few track events, they worked great and also work great on the street.

Now that I am Procharged/LSD/Spec 3/Tune I will be putting over 300hp to the ground on track days... wont this be fun

Question for you guys that have been tracking the Focus for a while, do you use diff pads on the rear than you do on the front?

What is the Bias of the brakes Front to Rear on a SVT FOCI?

Is this Bias changeable?

Have I outgrown the HP+ with the new found HP?

What pads should I go with if I have?

Cheapest place you have found to buy rotors from?

Lots of questions I know,

Thanks in advance

Ken

I will get some vids up too....going to VIR end of March

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
different pads front and rear would not be a good idea because then your front and rear brakes will behave differently
for example your fronts might work well cold and then slowly fade as they heat up while the rears do the opposite. so as the race went on your bias would start changing causing the car to start acting differently which would make it harder to get a rhythm down and cause you to lose time......hopefully that sorta makes sense (it did in my head)
Old 02-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks, I know a lot of racers use dif pads for front or rear to prevent the rear from locking before the front...

just curious if there is anyone on here with extensive track time in a focus, at good speeds..

Ken
Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Carbotech xp10 front xp8 rear are a proven winner. No fade and they don't destroy your rims and rotors like the high temp hawk pads. HP+ is an autocross pad.
http://www.carbotecheng.com/

Rotors - most any blanks will do but I've found the best value to be centric.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Ford/Focus.htm

I'd also recommend castrol srf brake fluid with that much power. It seems expensive, but you only need to flush once/year. It's wet boiling point is higher than most other's dry.

The svt has really good abs along with ebd. Nothing to adjust, and it just always works, well unless our alternator takes a dump.

Quote:
different pads front and rear would not be a good idea because then your front and rear brakes will behave differently
for example your fronts might work well cold and then slowly fade as they heat up while the rears do the opposite. so as the race went on your bias would start changing causing the car to start acting differently which would make it harder to get a rhythm down and cause you to lose time......hopefully that sorta makes sense (it did in my head)
Absolutely not true.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
klodkrawler05
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIdea View Post
Carbotech xp10 front xp8 rear are a proven winner. No fade and they don't destroy your rims and rotors like the high temp hawk pads. HP+ is an autocross pad.

I'd also recommend castrol srf brake fluid with that much power. It seems expensive, but you only need to flush once/year. It's wet boiling point is higher than most other's dry.

The svt has really good abs along with ebd. Nothing to adjust, and it just always works, well unless our alternator takes a dump.

Absolutely not true.
thanks for clearing that up! I wasnt totally sure if it would work that way or not I learned something new!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
kens03cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIdea View Post

Absolutely not true.

Thanks Bad, I do appreciate the info.. will look into carbotech pads

Ken
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT & 2007 Red ST

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I’m going to try the using Carbotech XP8 in the front and AX6 in the rear for this season, I don’t drive nearly as hard as Badidea so I’m not sure I would ever get the brake temps up as high as he does. Also I run street tires so I don’t have as much grip. I’ll be ordering the pads in the next few weeks so I’ll see what the Carbotech guys have to say.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2005 SILVER ST

FF Reputation: 16 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
klodkrawler, do you run at Grattan?

Bookmarks & Social Networks