Describing your exact problem..... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Describing your exact problem.....

If you want an answer without a big bunch of posts (what are you talking about?), you need to describe the problem better. Countless times I see statements like "but car still wouldnt turn over". What does that actually mean?

You could have a dead battery or a bad starter, maybe something else.

You could have an ignition or fuel delivery problem.

Your engine could be locked up completely.

Or maybe something else is to blame.....but that "won't turn over" gives us very little to to go on. Here's another example....." I hear a noise". What kind of noise? A clunk, a rattle, a squeal, a flapping noise, a click, etc. What causes the noise? Do you have to be moving, or maybe just revving the engine.

And it's nice to know the engine type, the model, the year, the miles on the vehicle, etc. It's hard enough to diagnose car problems, without all the information being available.

Rant over....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
zx32nr
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43460
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 16 zx32nr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ok well this is suppose to be a helpfull forum.

i like others have issues with my car and for those who dont know about cars they dont know the right things to check for.

i can not tell you how many people have asked me to fix there car and i ask whats wrong and they say it feel funny. you have to drag it out of them because they dont know if it is relevant to there main issue.

so as seniors on this site we have to put up with that crap because there are new people that join everyday just to post 1 question and honestly they are not going to read this post first.

it is good that you stated this but you will always have people that will not search and not be specific.

so lets try to not start arguments and keep helping fellow focus enthusiasts and drivers.
Zetec Crew #175
REP WHEN REP IS DUE
shorty header, magnaflow 2 1/2 catback, 65mm TB, pipercross viper, cfm pully set, sct reflash, steeda STS, screemin deamon coil, livewires, and a damn good driver
    Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,065, Level 85
Points: 18,065, Level: 85 Points: 18,065, Level: 85 Points: 18,065, Level: 85
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)

I can recall countless threads where you get a random question like, my car gets poor mileage, why?
Pretty vague to say the least. Being descriptive as Bluefront noted will yield better results, here and at the service shop or elsewhere.

So please try to include all relevant information about your vehicle and be descriptive of the problems and what service has been done recently.

Last edited by iminhell; 02-21-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
All-time record......

Seriously though.....problems occurring after an accident can be different from the standard. And along this line, what sort of damage was done, and to what parts of the car? Was the main wiring harness involved in the damage, and have you made any wiring repairs?

For a DIY repair, such problems can be difficult for anybody without access to factory wiring diagrams, and knowledge of electrical trouble-shooting. To start....you'd need to do pin-testing of the main ECU, to determine if all the 12V inputs were present. There are also things called "GEMs"......generic electronic modules that also may be involved.

It should also be stated.....before you ask for help for an electrical problem, you need to check every fuse, every fuse link, every circuit for the presence of 12V. Many of these systems are connected, so one blown fuse can cause all sorts of problems.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
mumbling_rednec
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63941
What I Drive: 2000 red se

FF Reputation: 1 mumbling_rednec Good Standing Member
Newbie here so I am sorry if i don anything that is wrong.

Technically I am not the owner of the foucs its my girlfriends and we have had a problem with it for a while now. The problem is it seems like it stalls around 45 mph, and by stall I mean pretty much just gets no gas or nothing it just pretty much struggles to stay running. At first when this started happening we took it to the dealership thinking that it was a fuel pump. Well they told us that it was the crank shaft position (csp) sensor and the cat was bad. One day I took down the cat busted it out since we are poor college students and didnt not have the money for a new cat and replaced the csp. the cat was more a temp fix so it would not heat up and fry the new (csp), after this it worked for a while no problems and then once it got to around 1000 miles on the new sensor it started acting up again. So I fixed the cat this time and same problem it worked a little bit but now it is starting to struggle again.

The problem is that when you get to that speed, 45 it struggles to go for some unknown reason and it only does this sometimes. Any thoughts advice or input would be greatful. I am more of a truck guy but this is for her and since we are broke college students we are trying not to spend a bunch of money taking it to a dealership where they charge you an arm and two legs just to look at it. I know cause they wanted to charge us 1300 bucks to install a cat that cost me some beer for a buddy's help, around 2-3 hours, and 300 bucks for the cat.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
> the only dumb question is the one not asked.

I dunno. Here's one from a BMW Forum in which I participate:

"if you have a nail in your tire but there is no leak (i.e. driving on it for 2 months with no change in PSI), should you even be concerned?"
Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

^^^^^This thread concerns the description of car troubles, trying to explain the problem well enough for somebody to venture a solution. There are specific sections to post in that may reach people with an answer.

A drivability problem might be answered in the Duratec section for instance, if you have that engine. Alternately there's a Focus technical section.

^^^^^Also.....asking questions in Spanish is not a good idea on an English language forum.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
the_07ninja
Gal. 2:20

Fan#: 45089
What I Drive: 07 ZX3 some red color.

FF Reputation: 88 the_07ninja Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I think this thread should be deleted just based on the fact that it has nothing to do with being a fanatic of your focus. Like stated above not every one is has the capacity to explaine the exact detail YOU need to find there problem. If they knew what was going on they prolly wouldn't post it and most likely fix it them selves but since they have no clue (as do I most of the time) they post it so they can get every ones opinions not just YOURS. I have no clue as to what every one knows about MY car, If I were to try to explaine it so that some one could venture a conclution it would take for ever to write out a single thread. I think the point of this forum is to get FOFO owners together and enjoy the the fact that some one out there can help me just because they have been through what I have.
Team Duratec #36
RIFF crew /
L.O.T.H #69 baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurst747 View Post
Any man comfortable enough to use Vanilla Ice as his avatar is my hero.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

There's more to it than that. It's simply that trying to solve Focus problems without seeing the car, requires that every bit of information the owner knows about his problem is important, important to the fix.

For instance.....your car has a strange electrical problem. Please report that it was in a big wreck a while back, and a bunch of body work was done.

Or....the electrical problem started happening after an after-market audio unit was installed.

There could be a big bunch of important stuff similar to this, that the owner knows about, that is critical to the fix, that should be included in a problem post. That all this thread is about....reporting all the facts pertinent to the issue.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
H.I.svt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53096
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus

Points 803, Level 15
Points: 803, Level: 15 Points: 803, Level: 15 Points: 803, Level: 15
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 H.I.svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja.mijo View Post
hello alguie me podria ayudar en espanol tengo un codigo p1233
el codigo es problema de gasolina entrando al motor. necessitas primer chekar un boton, nose como a explicarlo, pero esta en el lado de onde esta el compartamento de la computadora del coche. Esto te pordia ayudar un poco mas si puedes leer en ingles.

Aqui estan todos los codigos del carro
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=codes+defined

Now if you were pulling my leg, i still tried to help
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.