Turbo LSX Focus - Page 115 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #1141
mikebontoft
AKA "Toxx"

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
thats a neat idea.

btw how big is your starter? I found a gear reduction starter for mine for $30 before employee discount and it is tiny...... like import tiny. maybe something of interest?

and I feel stupid now since I didn't realize the LS series had a different firing order than the other sbc's.....
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-alt DD/ rally car) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Getting groceries never sounded so good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #1142
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
i dont really know if it will ever get done. i have been working on it so long. i will be able to drive it after i get the trans finished, rear brake lines, rear floor pan, and wiring lights

i have the factory truck starter. i dont need a smaller one, since i have built every thing myself i just made every thing work with what i have.

i got on your photobucket, that engine is going to be way to far forward if that is where you plan to put the trans... im sure you just moking it up but the valve covers will almost have to be touching the firewall

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #1143
mikebontoft
AKA "Toxx"

wait I posted that? lol.

No I was messing with it since I don't have cutting equipment.... it's not going there. same place about where yours is. besides..... notice anything familiar? (granted I know you opened it up more after this)

how was cutting that subframe anyway? I used an air hammer for the body which of course went like butter... I need to get a sawzall.

But yeah just keep working on it, it sure will sound great if anything. watch supplied video for sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-EvqjI1c0
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-alt DD/ rally car) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #1144
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

no you didnt post it. but you can get to some one's photobucket from any photo you posted.

TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #1145
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

i cut about 4" more after that picture.

i use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut every thing. i cut the frame rails out on both sides of the transmission and remade them. i did the drive side the same way to but i dont have any pics of it done

you shouldnt have started on your car. i would have sold you mine. i'm probably going to sell it once i get it done. ive worked on it so long that i'm pretty much tired of it. i think im going to get a ctsv and turbo it

TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #1146
mikebontoft
AKA "Toxx"

Im sure youre well into it more than I am money wise. Im actually broken even on it right now from what Ive been able to sell. Yeah its about to exceed that but it wont be as bad since I get parts at cost and access to any parts to hybrid something together.... guess Ill see where it goes. I think my main difference is that Im not going big the first time. All Im trying to do is get it rolling however I can. Got a great idea for the rear end hopefully ... uses most of the focus rear on an axle.

Anyway whatever you do with it just know if never had got this far I wouldnt know what I needed to do and get the balls to cut up my favorite car.
Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #1147
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

bumping this to latest post. kinda got lost in conversation lol

i got the rack installed. new manual mustang rack, cut the ends off and welded on the focus ends.

TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #1148
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
nice! slow and steady wins the race, remember!

when this is finished you can sit back, smile, and smoke the tires!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #1149
dino lord
Banned

Fan#: 92295
What I Drive: black 04 SVTF5

FF Reputation: 1 dino lord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
can we get a cliff notes of what you have had to build/modify for this to work?
i'm seriously debating this swap. i wanted to LSX-swap my 97 cobra and put the 4v into the focus, but i think just building the cobra w/ 4.6 and sticking the LSX into the focus due to size constraints would be much smarter.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #1150
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino lord View Post
can we get a cliff notes of what you have had to build/modify for this to work?
Everything

really. if you gotta ask your going to have a lot of trouble doing it. front subframe is cut all to pieces and modified to allow the engine to fit through, motor mounts to be attached, and rack and pinion to be attached to. rack has to be moved to the front and you will have to change to a rack that is meant to work up front such as a mustang or a pinto rack. if you want power steering that has to be custom. steering shaft has to be custom. hubs have to be swapped around for the rack to attach in the front, brake lines have to be moved to the front. trans tunnel and fire wall have to be cut out if you dont want to raise the car up real high like they do with the krugel kit. cooling system has to be custom. drive shaft will have to be custom built. trans crossmember. rear subframe has to be removed and thrown it the trash. buy either a solid axle or a irs rear subframe out of something irs from factory and make it fit. you will have to cut the whole rear end out of the car if you want the ride height lower than the krugel kit. rear crossmember and link mounts for rearend. c-notch frame rails if you want it lower than krugel kit. most people use vertical coil overs like mine. custom rear brake lines and parking brake. custom fuel system with fuel cell. since the rear end will be 5 lug if you want to use a mustang one then you will either have miss matched wheels or have to do a 5 lug conversion or redrill hubs (i did the 5 lug conversion using parts from a mazda3). custom wiring, gauges, and ecu. i did a lot more custom stuff b/c of the turbo system... this makes it all sound so simple to and im probably forgetting 1/2 of it. ive spent 3 years and 1150 posts on this thread doing it... good luck

TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks