Blower motor resistor? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
kmv2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59782
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 kmv2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Blower motor resistor?

2001 Focus SE SPI, 125,000km

OK, so yesterday I'm driving and smell something like burning diesel or axle grease kind of smell right.. then all of a sudden the cabin just fills with smoke.
Ok whatever, I open the window and pull over.. can't really see anything wrong, just a bit of smoke rising from the back of the engine.
I figure if it was the auto trans or pwr steering, it would be pouring out fluid because they are under pressure, and they are both still full of fluid. Oil in the engine is good too, no noticeable leaks on the ground overnight.

Anyways, so I start it up this morning and notice that there's no heat (blower motor not going). After an hour looking through the fuses, I find the #64 one is blown (FORD needs to work on their little icons that they print on the fusebox maps!!). A new fuse didn't work right away so I jumped it to see if the motor would turn on anyways and it did, then I put a new fuse in and it seemed to work ok, BUT now it just works on the highest speed.

This is probably the blower motor resistor (I probably fried it when I did that jump).. but I am still unsure what this damn burning oil smell is.

Whatever. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
sleddog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14810
What I Drive: 2009, Silver Metallic, Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sleddog Good Standing Member
The resistor pack is gone... That's why you have only high speed. It's behind the glove box... I went thru 3 or 4 of them on my 2001...

As for the burn oil smell... It could be the resistor pack, maybe... But usually the power resistor, it's actually more of a fuse, blows on the pack and it doesn't generate any smell or smoke.. But I guess anything is possible..

2009 Focus S
2001 Focus LX - Retired at 362,718 miles
Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
kmv2
Focus Rookie

Definitely not electrical burning.
So weird though, because the car runs and operates fine, and there was no visible leaks in the snow this morning.

I think I must have run over a piece of snow junk that fell off a diesel truck or something, and now I got a big lump of axle grease on the exhaust pipe or something.
ughhghg

Yeah, I saw the resistor this morning, seems simple enough to replace.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
sleddog
Focus Enthusiast

Remove the one screw, remove the connector, do the reverse to install.. That's it..

I usually remove the glove box. It's just 2 screws and it makes it easier to get to the resistor pack.

2009 Focus S
Old 02-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Donk1000
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62404
What I Drive: 1999 Black five door with boot

FF Reputation: 1 Donk1000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Remove the one screw, remove the connector, do the reverse to install.. That's it..

I usually remove the glove box. It's just 2 screws and it makes it easier to get to the resistor pack.
If you purchase a very long cross head(posidrive) screwdriver,(At least 2Ft long) you can open glove box and remove it, then the screw that holds in the resistor is easily accessible... Takes about 20 minutes in all...
Old 02-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
kmv2
Focus Rookie

lol the blower motor resistor is like the easiest bit of this.

Still wondering what that burning smell is though.. guess I'll have to wait until something fails I guess.

whatev/
Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
sleddog
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk1000 View Post
If you purchase a very long cross head(posidrive) screwdriver,(At least 2Ft long) you can open glove box and remove it, then the screw that holds in the resistor is easily accessible... Takes about 20 minutes in all...
Why spend the extra money on the screw driver? With out the very long cross head (I guess that's a phillips) (posidrive) screwdriver (at least 2 feet long) it takes less than 10 minutes to remove the glove box and change the pack.

See... Not only are you saving money by not buying 2 foot screw driver, you're saving 10 minutes... Spend the extra 10 minutes

2009 Focus S

Bookmarks & Social Networks