$0 Thunder Throttle - Official DIY & Details - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #41
Roland07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 5,475, Level 47
Points: 5,475, Level: 47 Points: 5,475, Level: 47 Points: 5,475, Level: 47
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Hey, TB.

I'm pretty curious about this mod. I'm in an 07 ZX3 with a DIY SRI, that being the only engine mod. I'm using a stock MAF tube, with the MAF sensor reversed to work with the DIY setup.

This looks like something I could handle, mechanically. Will I be getting any noticeable gains from this, with my setup? And later, if I finally pony up the cash for a K&N FIPK?

Give me the go ahead and I'll do this, and add some more field test data to your knowledge pool. =)
L.O.T.H. #9
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #42
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,108, Level 100
Points: 32,108, Level: 100 Points: 32,108, Level: 100 Points: 32,108, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
no power gains can be expected, only a quicker throttle response

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #43
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

Points 23,893, Level 94
Points: 23,893, Level: 94 Points: 23,893, Level: 94 Points: 23,893, Level: 94
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland07 View Post
Hey, TB.

I'm pretty curious about this mod. I'm in an 07 ZX3 with a DIY SRI, that being the only engine mod. I'm using a stock MAF tube, with the MAF sensor reversed to work with the DIY setup.

This looks like something I could handle, mechanically. Will I be getting any noticeable gains from this, with my setup? And later, if I finally pony up the cash for a K&N FIPK?

Give me the go ahead and I'll do this, and add some more field test data to your knowledge pool. =)
Go for it, that's why we made it a sticky!

so far we have lots' of viewers, but only one "customer". (warneej was the only willing guinea pig so far, but nemesis enforcer will be testing this out later this week.)

As warneej said, don't expect any power gains, just a boost to the throttle response. The car will def feel more lively off the line.

If you are running a stock intake manifold and stock diameter MAF tube, with just a CAI then there is little to be gained from a larger TB other than throttle response.

This mod will give you more throttle response, but keeps stock TB size which is perfectly matched to the stock MAF housing.

If you have a CAI and purchase a larger TB, then your stock MAF tube is your intake restriction, and the TB is probably a waste of money.

If you get a CAL for larger MAF tube amd make some radical changes or add forced induction, then you could benefit from a larger TB.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #44
focusboy5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50002
What I Drive: Four Wheels

Points 8,173, Level 61
Points: 8,173, Level: 61 Points: 8,173, Level: 61 Points: 8,173, Level: 61
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 31 focusboy5 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I got my spare TB for Honhon so when I find time this week I will give this a try.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #45
gokart2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31234
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ST w/SAP#1

FF Reputation: 14 gokart2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First i'd like to say this is the best "how to" write up i've seen! I like the time and thought behind all this. Very nice job. But..... I've discussed TB mods with my engineers (U of M grads) at work which is a "automotive testing" facility, so we have the back round. Anyway, things they learned and tested, were that an increase in TB diameter doesn't increase flow or response as nearly as much as
decreasing the flows restriction (throttle blade). This being said and looking at the pics, it seems to me that with the ducktail on the front side, restriction would increase because the flow smacks a flat 1/4 inch part of the blade opposed to being ramped over it like the oem design. That 1/4 inch smack seems like it would cause a bit of turbulance. I would however like to say that being in the "auto testing" field, i have seen some odd things work very well. I am not an engineer, though i am surrounded by them and love proving them wrong more then i should be able to. Illinipo?

Nevermind, i re-read what illinipo said and it' basically the same as what i stated. Except that turbulance at the TB will definetly decrease the flow through it, and possibly increase IAT a tad bit. But hey, more testing needs to be done on a great idea. Im not sold....yet.
ST Crew #90
My wife---><----Me

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-17-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #46
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
well youre not likely to have laminar flow in that spot of the intake anyway, the reynolds number is so high, its right after a bend, and youre putting an obstruction right in the center of the flow, which is going to have boundary layer separation at the end of it.

what would help you the most (and what has been done here) is to reduce the boundary layer separation at the far end of the throttle plate. this will reduce restriction quite a bit (and is probably why the engineers say its most effective).

here is a great pic to explain boundary layer separation, and as a side note it also explains why there are dimples on golf balls (its a game of surface tension)

did I answer your question?

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #47
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,108, Level 100
Points: 32,108, Level: 100 Points: 32,108, Level: 100 Points: 32,108, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
way over my head...i just draw things for a living...

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #48
gokart2
Focus Addict

But the transition is now greater, and with more "turbulance". I understand the separation has more "time" to stabilize, but as you said before... once it hits the manifold, all bets off. And it's so close to the IM. Forgive me on my physics knowledge as most are theory's i have a hard time believing. Mathamatically solved but not physically proven. As for dropping and shooting a bullet, they hit the ground at the same time my ass. Damn variables. I vote for a flow bench test!

Also, thanks illiniopo for sharing this info and getting technical. Because of this i will be doing some studying tonight. ;)
ST Crew #90
My wife---><----Me

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-17-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #49
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
dropping vs shooting a bullet... the shot one has a higher initial velocity so it would hit the ground first.

but that is off topic lol

even tho the manifold is right there, the thick wake shown above does its part to restrict flow. when you move the boundary separation further down like that and make the wake smaller, there is less restriction to the flow into the plenum.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #50
gokart2
Focus Addict

Too many variables, what shell size, trajectory angle, ground level, weather, etc..... Lol

But im understanding better now. The toss up for me is : the thick wake seems less of a restriction then a larger, more drastic separation with what seems to me, would cause more turbulance at the separation. This judgement on the thottle blade pics alone. Like i said, i'm by far an engineer. But i understand your point, i just have my own theory.

I got an idea, make the ducktail rounder and hammer some dimples in it!
ST Crew #90
My wife---><----Me

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.