$0 Thunder Throttle - Official DIY & Details - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #31
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
yeah, or u can drop into 4th, which isnt great on the tranny either. see the thing is, it doesnt do it once ur at around 80. u step, u just go. its the lower number that does it...mostly b/c ur at that 3k area where it likes to pull.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #32
gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Fan#: 45759
What I Drive: 13 Tangerine Scream ST2,12 RAM 2500

FF Reputation: 21 gonefhsn Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Great write up Tom, this is my next pro mod.....rep sent

FFMODERATOR

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #33
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
nothing wrong with dropping it into 4th if you match revs...but yes the lack of bogging isn't really on the highway (haven't taken it there yet) its more when you're rolling off throttle up to a stoplight that turns green right before you get there. It used to bog a little, like the motor wasn't ready for that input. Now it just connects and goes.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #34
levin.matthew
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57791
What I Drive: 2005 Red Focus ZX4

FF Reputation: 6 levin.matthew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
quick question for anyone who has acutally done this...do you actually notice a difference in performance? also, how much did it lower your MPG?

-2005 Red Focus ZX4
"Dirgous"
Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #35
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
effect on MPG = ???

warneej is the only one that has followed though on the mod since it was dreamed up about a week ago, maybe he can do a MPG report, but if he's standing on it more often now, it might not be a valid comparison.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #36
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Member
yeah i haven't gone through a tank or anything and my city mileage is pretty darn shitty to begin with with all my motor work...next time i hit the highway i'll do a report!

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #37
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i dont think it would hurt mpg. unless u just stomp on it a lot.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #38
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

that is exactly why my city mileage is so bad...

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #39
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
that is exactly why my city mileage is so bad...
how bad?

With the stock CAL, both before and after mods, I was getting around 24.5 MPG in mixed conditions, with close to 28-30 on HWY,

AFTER I got the F2 header and did my recal the highway miles stayed about the same, but my mixed/city driving WENT UP to about 26MPG!

What does your dyno curve look like compared to mine?

if you give up low RPM TQ, or your torque curve is not that flat, city driving suffers because you dont have enough low end torque to get rolling from every stop, so you have to work the throttle harder just to get off the line.

My peak numbers might be a few points lower than some of the other's in the dyno thread, but for a street driven vehicle a broad flat TQ curve really pays off.

You loose alot of this low end TQ with the Cossie Intake, but get more HP and TQ later, this is probably why your city mileage sucks. This is also the whole reason that Ford and others use those manifold flapper valves to change the runner lengths.

Longer runners at low RPM boost TQ and throttle response, shorter ones boost HP at higher RPM, similar to VVT on a smaller scale, but A LOT CHEAPER!

Some time this year after I strip my FoFo for track events/racing only, I'll be looking for a manifold upgrade, or start messing with cam timing to push my HP/TQ a bit higher in the RPM range since I can sacrafice some low end TQ to get more HP on the top end.

Just to stay on topic, let's see how your MPG reacts to these throttle mods.....

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #40
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

i never got good city mileage to begin with. Stock I averaged about 25 with mixed driving, modded i've dropped to between 15-18 city but my highway has skyrocketed to 34. This loss of mileage is mostly due to my right foot and is definitely not related to any loss of torque as like i've stated elsewhere, the manifold doesn't cause a loss in low-end anything. It just doesn't ADD as much there as it does elsewhere. I have more low-end then i did stock but just not to the magnitude that i have in the high-end. I can let out my clutch and go without any gas if thats a testimony to the torque increase. My torque curve is a flat line straight across the board and my hp (obviously) is a direct diagonal all the way to peak hp at redline.

the TB shouldn't affect MPG

173.4whp
gump
crew #6

Bookmarks & Social Networks