$0 Thunder Throttle - Official DIY & Details - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #21
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
i find that the car runs much better without it. Keep in mind my other modifications. Now it revs down between shifts and doesn't stall at idle. It also still idles at my programmed 850rpm idle without it.

Seems like it runs like a normal car now...
Then discuss it with Tom, he knows your car and your cal and would understand your situation better.

BTW, how is it for WOT?

No problems or restricted power?

I dont expect any, but with your mods I was just curious how it feels at WOT.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #22
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
doesn't feel any different at WOT honestly, except the whistling is gone.

the biggest thing is that it doesn't bog if i'm say rolling at 2k in a gear and punch it, like it used to...

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #23
N2O Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37645
What I Drive: 2004 Yellow Saleen Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 N2O Focus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Wouldnt thet reversed TB plate cause air flow impedence? Since the back side, now on the front, is not smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_07ninja View Post
my car's weight is 2546lb w/ me in the car and some crap in my pants.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #24
tb1999
Focus Addict

Can't say for sure......

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2O Focus View Post
Wouldnt thet reversed TB plate cause air flow impedence? Since the back side, now on the front, is not smooth.
I never went to engineering school, maybe someone on the forum has.

However it is the same plate in the same bore, just different direction.

So the only effect would be where the turbulence occurs, on entry or exit.

When you use a formula to calculate the coefficient of drag for a vehicle, the formula only cares about the frontal area of the vehicle, not the shape of the vehicle's profile.

A "brick" with 25 SQ FT of frontal area produces the same drag as a 25 Sq Ft "wedge".

Do I have this right mr engineers out there? Or have I made an incorrect assumption?

I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #25
ehancock
un1corn

Fan#: 53353
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue D23 ZX5

FF Reputation: 14 ehancock Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2O Focus View Post
That's the main reason i didn't do this to mine. I'm no engineer but it definitely does look like it might cause issues. I just bought a used FC throttle body.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great budget mod. I'm sure someone who's smarter than I could enlighten us about it.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #26
tb1999
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehancock View Post
That's the main reason i didn't do this to mine. I'm no engineer but it definitely does look like it might cause issues. I just bought a used FC throttle body.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a great budget mod. I'm sure someone who's smarter than I could enlighten us about it.
I'm not the kind of person that likes to speculate or guess.

The first review of this mod seems to indicate a home run, and I'm interested to see more feedback from others that have tried it, but let's not turn this into a theoretical debate of airflow principles by non-experts, including myself.

Although I do believe what I said about calculating drag co-efficients is accurate.

If we were disturbing airflow ahead of the MAF that would clearly be a problem.

Or if this were a carbureted situation, then disturbing or modifying airflow in the carbs would be a problem.

But nothing occurs in the throttle body of a Fuel Injected engine but the control of total volume entering the cylinders. The aerodynamics of the leading edge of the throttle plate is insignificant, it not like a spoiler or wing that needs to have airflow over the pieces in a certain direction etc.

IS THERE AN ENGINEER IN THE HOUSE!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #27
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1999 View Post

A "brick" with 25 SQ FT of frontal area produces the same drag as a 25 Sq Ft "wedge".

Do I have this right mr engineers out there? Or have I made an incorrect assumption?
thats correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1999 View Post
IS THERE AN ENGINEER IN THE HOUSE!!!!

all bets are off once the air gets to the IM. it really makes no difference once you get to the throttle plate. At that point, laminar flow is next to impossible until you get to the ports, and even then its a challenge since the air is taking heat on from the head (convective cooling anyone?). The plenum is generally thought of as a bathtub of air from which the engine siphons what it needs. Its not usually a place where flow comes into play, unless you are maxing out the plenum.

at WOT there will clearly be no difference at all because both sides of the throttle are still equally exposed

where flow comes into play is all of this "path of least resistance" junk (engineers dont really use that way of thinking, it tends to get you in trouble) where if you create locally higher pressure on the leading edge of the plate you could increase the wall friction and promote turbulence

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #28
tb1999
Focus Addict

^ thanks!

Rep sent!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #29
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
doesn't feel any different at WOT honestly, except the whistling is gone.

the biggest thing is that it doesn't bog if i'm say rolling at 2k in a gear and punch it, like it used to...
this is the most interesting to me. i hate being at 55/60, then floor it in 5th, and........blah.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #30
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Well direct drive is 4th gear and with 5th gear there is no torque multiplication taking place anymore (hence overdrive) and will always bog unless your up in the triple digits or making insane amounts of power. In fact its not good practice to really floor it in 5th unless you have the speed built up. Its hard on the transmission.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->