The Complete "How to Paint" Thread - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #81
MasterJedifocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62974
What I Drive: 2006 light taundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 2 MasterJedifocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just got a Steet Edition style spoiler from Extreme demensions. I got it painted to match the body, now my next step on friday will be to paint the horizontal (wing) part black - so it will match the trim and such on the car. Curious to see how that'll turn out.
Sedan Revolution #65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #82
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Ok lets see of I can help out...

Painting a 6x6 area can be done, but it will never look prefect. Ive done it and gotten away with it on my car, but thats casue its white, metallics and dark colors make it a lot harder to match a small area.

Airbrush would be good for small, small scratches but for a 6x6 area, like 02Zetecse said the paint would be to thin and take forever to get a decent build on it.

a 6hp compressor with a 30 gallon tank should be fine. Make sure you have a pressure regulator for the hose pressure, and a moisture catch. A $80 gun is a lot of money for a gun for a newbe. If you never had painted before, do you think that you can tell the differance between a $80 gun and a $20?

Spraying with a base coat clear coat isnt as hard as you think. If your wanting to do the fenders and hood, thats good because you can do them off the car and lay them flat. Making it harder to get runs and sags. Base coat you lay down till it covers, then lay down a tack coat of clear, then a nice wet coat of clear. If you have a little orange peel no biggie, wet sand it smooth, then polish and buff it back to a shine. Spray even slightly overlapping each pass. Make sure you pull the trigger before you hit the pannel then left off after the pass has been made. Hold the gun a a consitant distance from the pannel and walk the gun across the pannel. Do not arc or rainbow your arm back and forth.

Chalkboard spray paint http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=110 should be able to find it at any home depot. We dont allow any krylon in this thread

MasterJedi check out the Nor Cal area of the site! Make sure to come out to some of our meets. If you need any help hit me up, Im pretty close to ya, Im down in Manteca.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #83
MasterJedifocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62974
What I Drive: 2006 light taundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 2 MasterJedifocus Good Standing Member
thanks much for the info. Give me some heads up on where to find the Nor Cal area of this site. I'd love to come out to some of your meets and see other foci and meet some drivers.
Sedan Revolution #65
Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #84
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks Norcal!!!!!! Holy hell I'm more excited than ever to get this started. Pops was like "just go to Maaco"...screw that. If I can DIY something right, I'll take the time and research to do it myself. Only thing I didn't do on my bike was powdercoating and paint....suspension swap, all mods, other custom janks was all me. Some jobs took a couple weekends but love to DIY.

About the gun, its a 3 gun set. http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/tcpgate.aspx Include the Regular gun, primer (bigger tip?) gun and smaller touchup gun, regulator, filter and filling stand. Plus its got great reviews. For 80 bucks I can use it for more than just my car....can do my buddies track bodywork when they wreck (every other weekend lol).

Gonna do a DIY spraybooth...pvc drops.....pvc tubes, box fans...the correct respirator. I live in a redneck neighborhood and am friends with my neighbors...I don't think they'll care. We park on our lawns around here ;)

OEM paint can be bought here http://www.automotivetouchup.com/cho...+No%2C+*+66460 (thats Blazing Copper btw) $40 for pint, $80 for a quart. Dunno where/which primer and clearcoat to buy.

Also for the DIY paintjob, http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqpnt.htm This guy goes through the whole dayum thing as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #85
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
If I missed this in prior posts, sorry! I have recently gotten a scratch on the front fender. It looks like a tree branch possibly hit it (The Saint Louis tornado missed my house by about 100 yards). The scratch is in two parts, The top part of the scratch, if you run your fingernail over it (gently), you can just sorta feed an edge (if you have your fingernail angled wrong you will miss it. that slight!). The bottom portion, I cannot feel a ridge. The whole scratch appears as milky white. How should I approach this?
Thanks!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #86
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Unrelated to prior post. I have some pieces painted with Dupli-color. There website suggested sanding the final base coat to bring the metal flake up. I have some 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Proceed?
Also. How many coats of clear are recommended to provide some rock protection? (Is there ever enough?)
Thanks!
Last of the Hatches #28

Last edited by S0C0nFused; 06-01-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #87
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
If I missed this in prior posts, sorry! I have recently gotten a scratch on the front fender. It looks like a tree branch possibly hit it (The Saint Louis tornado missed my house by about 100 yards). The scratch is in two parts, The top part of the scratch, if you run your fingernail over it (gently), you can just sorta feed an edge (if you have your fingernail angled wrong you will miss it. that slight!). The bottom portion, I cannot feel a ridge. The whole scratch appears as milky white. How should I approach this?
Thanks!
Touch ups are a PITA. But here it almost sounds as if it can be polished out. Can you post some pics? My advice is to take some 3M polishing compound to it and call me in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Unrelated to prior post. I have some pieces painted with Dupli-color. There website suggested sanding the final base coat to bring the metal flake up. I have some 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Proceed?
Also. How many coats of clear are recommended to provide some rock protection? (Is there ever enough?)
Thanks!
1500 wet sand only tho. Get a bucket and add 1 light drop of dish soap to the water. The soap will act as a lube.

Its not the number of coats but the product you use. A laquer based product will not provide good chip resitance. A urethane will however, like the Rust Oleum black you used on your lip. Lacquers are just to brittle and chip easily.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #88
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

yes. Will post a pic asap. I got about 3 things going atm. this would be a good scratch to demo on.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #89
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Here are pics of the scratch. 1st pic is the raw damage. 2nd pic is after using "scratch doctor" (specifically chosen as it is gentle). It's better, but it's not gone. suggestions?

1st pic. the damage

After attempted repair

By soitgoes at 2011-06-07
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #90
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Its not the number of coats but the product you use. A laquer based product will not provide good chip resitance. A urethane will however, like the Rust Oleum black you used on your lip. Lacquers are just to brittle and chip easily.
I chose the lacquer for 2 reasons. 1. Wife wanted to see it painted the car color (only possible with Dupli-color which is a lacquer). 2: After the ford tech ground the air damn into the parking berm, and then later assessing the damage. I realized that fast repair trumps toughness. (I think. Well, maybe. Heck Idknow!). It's done. Will see how it holds up.
Last of the Hatches #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
body work, how to paint, paint, painting