The Complete "How to Paint" Thread - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #51
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Norcal- THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great writeup!!

I found this thread looking to do all the prep work for my SVT conversion and save some money on painting. Do all the sanding/primering on my SVT bumpers, hood, skirts and fenders and just pay to get it painted after I done the prep myself.

Now I'm thinking of using the gigantic air compressor pops has in the garage and doing everything myself....

Rep+!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #52
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0sitivevibez View Post
Now I'm thinking of using the gigantic air compressor pops has in the garage and doing everything myself....
Go for it! FYI >> There is a sort of DIY clean room kit you can get or rent for not to many $$. You can also just make one with some wood and plastic. I only bring this up as that, when I was spraying my templates for my headlights, a ladybug divebombed right into the color coat. I don't know what's in paint that attracts bugs so much but they just seem to love to die in it!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #53
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Go for it! FYI >> There is a sort of DIY clean room kit you can get or rent for not to many $$. You can also just make one with some wood and plastic. I only bring this up as that, when I was spraying my templates for my headlights, a ladybug divebombed right into the color coat. I don't know what's in paint that attracts bugs so much but they just seem to love to die in it!

:lol: ladybugs are evil mang, no matter how cute they seem!

I was just about to post this
http://www.mirru.com/paintBooth.html

After reading, heres my recap-

You need a clean, dust free environment for good painting. DIY Paintbooths can be setup. Can be made from traditional shelter design or PVC/wood framing and PVC sheeting. Must have adequate ventilation (box or squirrelcage fan) exhaust with a filtered intake (to keep dust and other particles out). Must use respirator since the paint, primer and other materials are bad for the lungs. I can post up some of the DIY paintbooths I've found if you like.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #54
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Pain...in-Your-Garage

DIY Paintbooth in your garage. The venting and respirator are VERY important, so don't blow yourselves up!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #55
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerSoth View Post
I just put a west wings urethane front bumper and rear bumper on my car. I've painted the entire car before (had a fiberglass kit previously), and was wondering if I needed anything special for the bumpers: like a flex agent or adhesion promoter? I was told I would want to go with a enamel primer for the urethane? Are you sure you don't need anything special? Because I've seen cars that had replacement front bumpers (urethane) and they chip like CRAZY!
A simple automotive primer will work on urethane. Chipping is differant than, peeling or flaking paint which is casued by lack of adhesion. Chipping is normal when rocks hit your car at 60+ MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
thanks again.....

got more questions now that I'm wanting to paint a whole car.....

what would be better for repainting a vehicle, enamel or lacquer? I was thinking of some single stage I could spray out of the air gun because mostly anything would look better on the car.

And generally, how much paint does it take to cover one? should 4 quarts be about enough?
See Below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Zetechse View Post
An Acrylic Enamel or a Single Stage Urethane would be your best bet . A Lacquer does not have the durability that either of the previously mentioned types. 4 Quarts would be enough for 2-3 generous coats.

I am still learning so Norcal Correct me if im wrong.
Very good Daniel son.

A base coat clear coat system is really the easiest system to use. Lay on the base until it covers, then lay on 2-3 coats of clear. You can wet sand and buff out any imprefections from the clear and make it look tits.

Quote:
Norcal- THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great writeup!!

I found this thread looking to do all the prep work for my SVT conversion and save some money on painting. Do all the sanding/primering on my SVT bumpers, hood, skirts and fenders and just pay to get it painted after I done the prep myself.

Rep+!!!!
Thanks for the rep. I got a cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight that works really well. Just get some cheap paint and practice on "pops" lawnmower or something first to get the feel for spraying. Its an art, and its kinda hard to teach over the internet, lol.

Quote:
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Pain...in-Your-Garage

DIY Paintbooth in your garage. The venting and respirator are VERY important, so don't blow yourselves up!
We had two garage floor epoxy installers blow them selfs up in a basement from the fumes and the open flame of the water heater. I heard a case were a guy spraying paint broke a flourecent bulb with his gun wand and blew up the room he was in. So yes this is a very real danger.

Last edited by norcalfocus01; 04-21-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #56
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,441, Level 94
Points: 23,441, Level: 94 Points: 23,441, Level: 94 Points: 23,441, Level: 94
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Glad this thread came back :)

yup thanks again men... I found out actually not long after I asked that I really should Do a basecoat clear urethane system, but I wasn't sure about it :)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #57
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
Glad this thread came back :)

yup thanks again men... I found out actually not long after I asked that I really should Do a basecoat clear urethane system, but I wasn't sure about it :)

Keep in mind that when using a urethane you will want to use a full face respirator. A Urethane may cause the Paint below to lift if doing a scuff and spray. A good Primer is recommended. My Jedi Master Recommends the Rustoleum Primer From AutoZone. A Lacquer primer can be used if allowed to cure for a few days to Keep the primer fro re-wetting or causeing a chemical reaction. Most 2 part Primers/Sealers are DTM (direct to metal) . This means that the existing paint must be stripped from the car leaving a bare fender. I would do a test area before painting the full car to check compatibility issues between brands.

Norcal not trying to jack your thread just adding what I have learned .
Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #58
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
No problems bro. Im glad your learning and sharing your knoweledge.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #59
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,441, Level 94
Points: 23,441, Level: 94 Points: 23,441, Level: 94 Points: 23,441, Level: 94
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
thank you sensei

yeah respirator no doubt though.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #60
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Norcal What do you recommend Brand wise for a 2k Setup?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
body work , how to paint , paint , painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.