Is it possible to identify a tuned ECU? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
GreggPDX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59125
What I Drive: 2003 Turbo 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 GreggPDX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Is it possible to identify a tuned ECU?

I have an SVTF ECU that is supposed to have the Jackson Racing Supercharger Big Boost Kit(BBK) tune on it. The problem is that I'm not sure. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to verify the tune? I presume that the SCT Pro Racer package could view the tune and look for parameters associated with BBK, but I don't have the software.

Would a shop with SCT tuning software be able to do it relatively easy? Any other ideas about how to check?

Gregg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing MemberBlivit Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
I have an SVTF ECU that is supposed to have the Jackson Racing Supercharger Big Boost Kit(BBK) tune on it. The problem is that I'm not sure. What would be the easiest/cheapest way to verify the tune? I presume that the SCT Pro Racer package could view the tune and look for parameters associated with BBK, but I don't have the software.

Would a shop with SCT tuning software be able to do it relatively easy? Any other ideas about how to check?

Gregg
The prp will not be able to view the tune, nor will any sct dealer.

There are ways, but nothing that any of our customers or dealers can do.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
GreggPDX
Focus Enthusiast

If I had PRP, wouldn't I be able to look at the injector settings or timing tables and see if they were different from stock? For example, the BBK comes with 42lb injectors, so if the tune is setup for 42's, then that would indicate the ECU probably had the BBK tune.

Gregg
Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Blivit
Focus Addict

FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing MemberBlivit Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
If I had PRP, wouldn't I be able to look at the injector settings or timing tables and see if they were different from stock? For example, the BBK comes with 42lb injectors, so if the tune is setup for 42's, then that would indicate the ECU probably had the BBK tune.

Gregg
No, that is not how the prp works.

Having a pro racer package gives you access to a particular processor code. You open that processor code in the software (which is a factory ford calibration) make your tune changes (fuel tables, spark, whatever) save the file on your computer then load the tune to one of our flash devices and flash your vehicle. During the flash process, the device saves whatever is in the vehicle and replaces that with the tune file you have created.

You cannot see or modify the stock file that is uploaded to the device. It is there to allow you to return your vehicle to stock (whatever that may be) if needed.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
GreggPDX
Focus Enthusiast

That's very interesting. Is there a technical reason for this, or is it done to prevent "reverse engineering" someone else's tune?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Blivit
Focus Addict

Quote:
That's very interesting. Is there a technical reason for this, or is it done to prevent "reverse engineering" someone else's tune?
Yes that is part of the reason it is done that way.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
GreggPDX
Focus Enthusiast

Okay, so what about a bit more "crude" test. If I install this ECU with my stock injectors, but the ECU is setup for 42's, I assume it would run very badly, way too rich. I realize this is not great for the engine, but it should be a quick way to verify if the tune is not stock.

Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Blivit
Focus Addict

Quote:
Okay, so what about a bit more "crude" test. If I install this ECU with my stock injectors, but the ECU is setup for 42's, I assume it would run very badly, way too rich. I realize this is not great for the engine, but it should be a quick way to verify if the tune is not stock.

Thoughts?
You could do that....if you can bypass PATS. You can't just install another processor in your car with PATS.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
GreggPDX
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blivit View Post
You could do that....if you can bypass PATS. You can't just install another processor in your car with PATS.
The ECU has been PATS reset, so I can install it and associate my keys when I'm ready. That brings up another question, can PRP reset PATS?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Blivit
Focus Addict

Quote:
The ECU has been PATS reset, so I can install it and associate my keys when I'm ready. That brings up another question, can PRP reset PATS?
On most vehicles that have PATS it can but unfortunately the SVT focus is not one of them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks