"Stock legal" options for rear camber adjustment - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Sully313
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104895
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5 Red, 06 ZX3 SES Black

FF Reputation: 1 Sully313 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
"Stock legal" options for rear camber adjustment

We had a decent day today at the NW Ohio Region event. Good enough to determine that 1.8* and 2.2* rear camber is way too much. I ended at 36psi front and 51psi rear on RE-11A's and I still could not get the car to rotate no matter what I tried. Scandi-Flicks and all. It would be a great set up for OTD though. Very neutral and so easy to drive.

Car is literally all stock. No Koni's, no bar's.. nothing.

My first plan of attack is to get rid of some of the camber. I bought bolts but I hate using them in these types of applications. I've seen mention of revised upper control arms and camber shims. Are these still available and are they legal?

Next step would be a rear bar. Does the big Steeda rear bar break SVT LCA's too?

Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Two options for rear camber would be Massive's adjustable camber arm (comes in an all black option) or ACDelco

The ACdelco (same as SPC/Megan style) has the same shape/look as oem except it is adjustable (and costs less than spc/megan.) The Massive one has more range and is probably more durable (doesnt need to be removed to adjusted either)

I have no comment or idea on whats legal for that class though. How thoroughly do they check out your car? The larger rear sway has been ran by others with out breaking the SVT lca's, although there is no guarantee. Can also look at eibach, they make a 25mm rear, not as extreme as steeda's 28.6mm
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Zewerr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56889
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT, STF prepped

FF Reputation: 1 Zewerr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Assuming that you're running SCCA stock rules, there is no legal way to adjust rear camber except for loosening the bushings, tensioning them, and retightening. Beyond that, alignment adjustment procedures have to be recommended procedures (i.e. crash bolts), which Ford does not have for our cars. My suggestion for more rotation is a stiffer rear bar. You can also achieve it by getting stickier tires for the front, or stiffer shocks in the back.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Sully313
Focus Addict

Yeah... I'm pretty sure adjustable upper arms are not legal. The only legal items in stock are those allowed by Ford for crash repair.

If there are revised +1* upper control arms, these should be allowed per the TSB.

EDIT: Yes SCCA Stock rules.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Sully313
Focus Addict

I just talked to Steve at Tousley.... yes there are revised upper control arms.... but a set would be $411!

Big bar it is.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
rambleon84
So mote be it

If you come to SiF I will trade you my old 18mm front sway bar for a can of pop (or similar lol .) You can try the combination of a smaller front bar paired with your rear sway bar (or larger rear sway) I know some cars like mini's prefer the smaller bar up front on some tracks.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Sully313
Focus Addict

Thanks for the offer. I'd rather not go that route just yet. I'll see what I can get out of the rear bar change first.

I ordered the big Steeda rear bar this morning. I will also be acquiring an Eibach rear bar later this week. I like options.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
rambleon84
So mote be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully313 View Post
Thanks for the offer. I'd rather not go that route just yet. I'll see what I can get out of the rear bar change first.

I ordered the big Steeda rear bar this morning. I will also be acquiring an Eibach rear bar later this week. I like options.
if only swapping the front bars out on the front was as easy as the rear... hope you find the best bar for your use.

Bookmarks & Social Networks