Power for Interior Mods - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60687
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver Blaupunkt ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 skikid89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Question Power for Interior Mods

Hey guys. Many of us on here have done interior modifications that require a power source (lighting, amps, etc.) I have amp wire from the battery and that is how I power my amplifier.

I am buying some cold cathodes to light up my interior (I plan to put some under the dash and under the front seats.) I also am going to order a set of gauges from speed hut, as well as adding three new gauges for an A pillar gauge pod.

Here is my question. What is the best places to get power for the modifications?

I am going to need a power source for the cathodes. ( I would prefer a switched one, however I could also use a relay in the circuit that is activated by the remote wire on my amplifier.)

I would also need a power source for the gauges. This source is for their backlighting however so I would want it to turn on when I turn on my headlights.

I was curious how every one got power to their add ons. Do you guys use fuse taps, or tap power from the back of the stock fuse box from unused circuits, or run a power wire and an aux fuse box, or some other meathod.

I have a 2003 ZX3 no power windows or locks. ANY input would be greatly appriciated as well as picks. Maybe we can even find enough info to make this into a how to

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
hybridtheory31
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56957
What I Drive: 2004 Dark Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 hybridtheory31 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
for the cathodes i would use an add-a-circuit. gauges i would get power from the stock gauges or if its an auto the backlight on the gear selector is pretty easy to access.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Its a five speed so the gear select light is out. I was unsure if the power from the gauge lighting would be enough for the new gauges.

As for the add-a-circuit, are you talking about the ones where it has a little piece of mettle that gets shoved in behind a fuse, and allows you to connect with a little slide connector or is it something else?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Noob4Life
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49890
What I Drive: 2004 Platinum Gray Jetta GLI

FF Reputation: 2 Noob4Life Good Standing Member
Seeing as I already had an add-a-fuse for my glowgauges when I wanted cathodes I bought the fuse holder that oznium.com has and a roll of power wire. Then I just ran the power wire from my battery along-side the power wire to my amp. I ran it from the battery to a switch to the cathodes and it works great. This is the way I would suggest so that you don't have 50 add-a-fuses(exaggeration) in your fuse box. DK about the gauges I would use an add-a-fuse on those though.

Just my .02
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
hybridtheory31
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56957
What I Drive: 2004 Dark Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 hybridtheory31 Good Standing Member
add-a-circuit is like the two fuse prongs, you plug it into the fuse u will take power from then plug that fuse into it with another one for the accessory. then theres a power wire running from that.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Thats sweet. I just saw it in another thread. So is this the method everyone has been keeping a secret for years??? lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->