when buying speakers... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
toeycrack
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 38332
What I Drive: 03 zx3, name "TRISH"

FF Reputation: 9 toeycrack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
when buying speakers...

hey guys, when buying speakers... is it a good idea to keep it in the same brand/model for the front n rear? or is mixing up a good thing too?

im not sure on the speakers.. im trying to put together a front/rear speaker, with a amp.

-----

for speakers, im lookin at the Polk Audio MM571
  • 5"x7" 2-way speakers (pair)
  • woven honeycomb glass fiber composite woofer cone with butyl rubber surround
  • 1" silk composite dome tweeter
  • certified for marine use
  • 2.7-ohm impedance for extra power (compatible with all factory or aftermarket car stereos)
  • power range: 15-90 watts RMS (200 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 38-25,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB @ 2.83 V
  • top-mount depth: 2-5/8"

------

im thinking on staying with the same speakers for front n rear... would those be a good combo or should i mix them up???

------ for a amp, im not sure what kind of specs im looking for. someone help me out.... the amp is only going to be running to the front n rear speakers.... and tweeters too if they supposed to be hooked up to em.

-------

all help will be thankED!!!

-Bunna

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
selfguided
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49057
What I Drive: SVT3

FF Reputation: 4 selfguided Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
definitely stay with the same brand! they will be 'voice matched'. as far as amplifier, without getting into specific brands, stay with a leading manufacturer. you should be fine with 50-75x4 RMS pushing them. i would stick with a class 'AB' amp for best sound quality. class 'D' if space/heat is an issue.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60687
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver Blaupunkt ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 skikid89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
...x2^^^^^
Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
jmanpc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61602
What I Drive: 2007 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 jmanpc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would personally recommend getting one nice pair of components for the front, and amp them with a good 100+ watts of good clean power. Also, deaden your front doors for improved midbass response and a reduction in road noise and rattles.

One potent pair of speakers on a budget I would recommend is the Image Dynamics CTX65CS. While I've never heard them personally, on the car audio forum which I frequent, they are getting rave reviews.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6201

As far as power goes, there are several options depending on how much you're willing to spend. You can get an amp for as little as $45 from Profile (www.profileusa.com, go to their online store, look at the 400SX). Other budget options include Hifonics or Cadence (www.cadencestore.com, their outlet section is fantastic)

I highly recommend Second Skin deadening (www.secondskinaudio). In all my time installing, it's the best I have come across. Ant, the owner of SS, is a really cool dude who will personally help you decide what products you need. For a bit less, check out RAAMat (www.raamaudio.com). It's a very effective butyl deadener, but is a bit sloppier during install. I'd avoid FatMat, because its just crappy asphalt roof patching material. Don't believe their hype. eDead is alright, but Ben Milne, the owner of eDuh is a pretty crappy dude with overrated products. I pretty much just don't trust their business ethics.

Anyhow, ranting aside and back to the topic at hand, I like to recommend that you spend a majority of your speaker budget on your front speakers; after all that's where you are. For the time being, if I were you, I'd get nice front speakers, keep the stockers in the rear and just keep them turned down. Screw whoever is sitting in the back
Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
zlaja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52919
What I Drive: 2003 While LX Sedan

FF Reputation: -11 zlaja Needs To Improve
id probably stick with the same speakers all around, though it would be interesting to put 6x9s in the rear (dont know if they fit)

the reason i say this is that i believe you could get more low end with them
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 8,434, Level 61
Points: 8,434, Level: 61 Points: 8,434, Level: 61 Points: 8,434, Level: 61
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^You'd have to cut a big hole to get a 6x9 back there, and even then you'd have clearance issues, I think.

I would have to agree with jmanpc. Get one good set of components up from, supply them with about 100 watts RMS (each) and enjoy.

However, are you going to have a sub at all? If not, you may want some rear speakers, just to give some added sound. If you are running a sub, forget the rears (as long as you don't care how good it sounds in the back seat).
Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
jmanpc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61602
What I Drive: 2007 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 jmanpc Good Standing Member
Don't mess around with putting bynines in. While the extra cone area is enticing, it's not worth hacking up your car. If you're serious about getting extra oomph in the bass department without putting a subwoofer in, get a pair of 6.5" freeair midbasses or subwoofers, make some adapter rings, and put them in the rear.

Speakers such as these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-305
or
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-832

www.partsexpress.com and www.madisound.com are your friends.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Fan#: 42651
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, '03 ZX3, '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlaja View Post
id probably stick with the same speakers all around, though it would be interesting to put 6x9s in the rear (dont know if they fit)

the reason i say this is that i believe you could get more low end with them
6x9's in the rear will not fit without some modification back there. I have seen it done but remember to look at the depth of the 6x9's to see if they will fit back there before modding as some 6x9's may be too deep

and to toeycrack, keep the same speakers front to rear, you don't want to be mixing brands or even models.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
hypnoticracing
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 51709
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Zetec 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 13 hypnoticracing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
i have a set of memphis pr 5x7s and love the sound, they are hooked to a memphis 300x4 amp

Parting out the slammed sedan...
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
toeycrack
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 38332
What I Drive: 03 zx3, name "TRISH"

FF Reputation: 9 toeycrack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
on a hatchy, what is the rear speaker size?? 5.25 inch?

Bookmarks & Social Networks