What's the best thing to use to remove a scratch? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-04-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
ST170
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10125
What I Drive: Take a guess.

FF Reputation: 1 ST170 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What's the best thing to use to remove a scratch?

Alright, I'm coming down my street ready to turn into my drive but there's some muppet who's parked just up past my drive on the other side of the road. I usually swing out left and then come in to my drive as it's fairly tight to get into. I couldn't swing out but had best a go as I could but with that tool parked behind me I soon realised I had very little room to manoevre. I literally couldn't go backward to straighten out so I was screwed. Long story short, I scraped my car on the post. It's not too bad but I really hate having marks and shit on my car so I need to fix it up.

I used the Ford retouching kit (with the three pens) on my wing mirror (yes I scratched that too a month or so ago ) which was total crap. Colour didn't match, wrong finish, everything. So I'm asking what's the best thing I can do? I've t-cutted it a little, but that won't do the job on it's own.

That guy has blocked my neighbour in as well, and he isn't too happy about it. But I realise that it's my fault for misjudging the situation so don't bring that up as I'm likely to cry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Meguires makes some awesome products to remove scratches. Check them out, I know the body shop (at the dealership I used to work at) used their products. I also used them when I detailed cars at a previous job also. Amazing stuff. I actually used to key (rental cars I would get ready for the auction) on purpose to see how I could much of the scratch I could get out of the car and unless it's extremely deep or down to the metal, you will get it out with Meguires....
Old 07-04-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
dudeman05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8857
What I Drive: 2001 infrared zx3

FF Reputation: 1 dudeman05 Good Standing Member
scratch x rox my sox i use it and itll take out most marks
Mods:European top and bottom grills,Hella knockoff headlights,TFS cuplip,AEM shortram,Focus Sport rearbrace,front strutbar,Goldline springs,Apex Kevlar brake pads,Trubendz Borla 2.25 exhaust,Kendwood Headunit,Ford racing plugwires,NGK platinum plugs
Old 07-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Scratch X works ok on very minor scratches. Anything major its pretty much useless.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
ST170
Focus Rookie

I live in the UK, are these products available here?
Old 07-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
waynestowels
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3433
FF Reputation: 1 waynestowels Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Hard to tell...,

Is it past the CC?
Is it down to the BC?
Is it down to the primer?
Is it down to the metal?
Is it dented?
Is it plastic?
Is it metal?
Any pics?
Old 07-04-2004, 02:28 PM   #7
ST170
Focus Rookie

Sorry about the poor picture quality, I had to take the pic on my mobile phone. I went out to the car and it seems a whole lot worse than before - for some reason I looked at it and saw it as just a surface scratch but it's a few mm deep.

I'm thinking about maybe getting it done professionally. Unless somebody has an idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	3169  

Old 07-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
OUCH!

McGuires isn't going to fix that! You're looking at a paint job...but then again, I'm no expert
Old 07-04-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
waynestowels
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3433
FF Reputation: 1 waynestowels Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
It "appears" to be down to the metal in places and surface rust is beginning(according to the pic).
You will needa body shop to repair the area to make it blend in...,
Since the paint is gone..., there is no way to buff or polish something that is not there..., sorry...
Old 07-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #10
dudeman05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8857
What I Drive: 2001 infrared zx3

FF Reputation: 1 dudeman05 Good Standing Member
yea body shop asap
Mods:European top and bottom grills,Hella knockoff headlights,TFS cuplip,AEM shortram,Focus Sport rearbrace,front strutbar,Goldline springs,Apex Kevlar brake pads,Trubendz Borla 2.25 exhaust,Kendwood Headunit,Ford racing plugwires,NGK platinum plugs

Bookmarks & Social Networks