New Water Pump Replacement HOW-TO w/ PICS - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
finalfantasy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86774
What I Drive: 2001 SE

FF Reputation: 1 finalfantasy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I didn't get bolts with the new pump, reused the old ones but the "pan" head seemed to cock slightly when torqued down...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #32
blazindave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78810
What I Drive: 2003 White ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 blazindave Good Standing Member
just wanted to add another thanks to this thread.

worth noting, as I've seen elsewhere across the internet, the water pump can be removed and reinstalled without pulling the motor mount and dropping the engine. It is tricky, and it only goes one way, but it can be done. I did it yesterday. Didn't have a torque wrench handy so didn't want to loosen the motor mount -- just took the 4 bolts out of the AC Compressor and hung it aside out of the way with a wire coathanger.

As has been mentioned, the trick to getting it out starts with flipping it 180 degrees so the impeller is pointing away from the engine block. Then you just have to rotate and twist it just right. It felt like one of those "magic trick" games where you try to free the ball from the cage and it will only come out one way... I can't really explain exactly how it's done, just be patient and keep trying. and then reverse it to get the new one in.

also, thanks to this thread I decided to go ahead and replace the overflow reservoir bottle - I had noticed that I was losing coolant, but pretty slowly... couldn't find any leaks around any hoses or around the thermostat housing, no cracks in the radiator, etc. After I took the old bottle out (which was yellow and really nasty looking down in there), I could see a couple of those hairline cracks on the very bottom of it.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #33
FoFo4Me
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 143969
What I Drive: 2000 Orange Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 FoFo4Me Good Standing Member
You know you rock, right??
I *knew* I was right and the auto parts guys are going to eat crow!! ;-)

I've been looking for this all over the 'Net, no diagrams for the DOHC engines with the water pump on the accessory belt!

Me, I've got the Guinea Pig model, 2000 and while I am glad I can work on it myself, it always helps to have the correct information!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks