Turbo AR's Q&A..... - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
07FocusST
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49661
What I Drive: 2007 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 2 07FocusST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hmm... so I guess that the Garrett/AiResearch T3 Turbo from the 1985 Turbo Coupe I bought not too long ago wouldn't be worth it then. Well... It will be worth it considering that I will be replacing the smaller IHI turbo. Here are the specs:

IHI - .42/.48 A/R
Garrett - .63/.60 A/R

My IHI has Instant boost off the line and gives out after 4000K. Any chance the Garrett will hold up to my 2.3L thru the RPM's?
Boosted Crew Member #115
SAP Crew Member #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoticracing View Post
foci's came without rear brakes? i guess mine is special with its drums

Last edited by 07FocusST; 07-29-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: sleeping at keyboard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
You almost couldnt pick a worst turbo then the Turbo coup/SVO Turbo fr the Focus

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
tobyboom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6129
What I Drive: 2000 Black boosted ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tobyboom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Just so you guys know, the initial post was from December of LAST YEAR!!!!
1/8: Dont remember at the moment
POWER: 302.25 HP 278.66 TQ
MODS: Custom Focus-Power Intake System
Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
SVTRSST
70 100 70 70 : (

Fan#: 50439
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 16 SVTRSST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
6 months ago, not that bad.. i have revived 2 year old threads :p, i think its all good, but i agree with kamik, this need to be more like " this is an apple", sometimes i just dont understand things, i have searched and they explain "this is a fruit" instead of "this a sweet apple".
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
I think the information is good, i'm always trying to learn turbo's and all the lingo, i have a base knowledge but thats about it. I can see where Tom is comming from, but we should just take it for what its worth, and not base our decisisons solely on this thread, i say keep up the info, just don't necessarily base it for our foci knowledge.

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
John your opening a whole can or worms you dont really want to open

There is a reason that I dont give out many specs and help people choose turbos , It took me a long time to stop doing it , you really done want to go there

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
That's what this forum is for is it not?
Quote:
No

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilk View Post
WTF are you serious. tom i respect you but god damn whats the point of a forum if not to share information, help each other, and educate one another. thats how you build a community.

yea your going to get some annoying people that dont know what even a wastegate does but for the majority of people that want to learn the information should be accessable. teaching the focus community to inspire creativity and new ways of doing things.

damn your a tyrant.
Quote:
Thats all well and good , To say a t3 s60 stg3 turbo is what your need for your Focus isnt something that can come from reading a forum , The Zetec isnt like most engines in how it responds to boost

Teaching people what the diff numbers are and PPM is all well and good , but what if those # dont apply to the Focus they way they do other 4 cyl engines , so you learn a lot of this stuff , buy a turbo to find out it wont make the power you wanted , many will come back here and , well you guys said if this and this was here that this turbo would make the power I wanted

There may be 5 people on here that can read a turbo graph and maybe 2-3 that actually understand what there reading

Then you get into custom turbos that with the Zetec throw a lot of sence out the window , picking a turbo isnt something your going to learn from a forum it is like tuning and something that takes years of building boosted engines on a dyno to learn what the numbers mean and do

Then you get into HP ratings and those are commercial HP ratings # and have little to do with the actual HP the turbo will make from one build to another let alone one engine to another

Tom
I agree with both sides of the party. A forum is for information and community. It is true that different engines work better with different turbos, even of the same displacement and ar, however that doesn't mean the info can't be out there for everyone to learn. I enjoy reading threads like this, not because I wanna know what size ar is gonna best suit me. I already have a Garrett GT28R, I could give a shit less, but I am a boost freak so when any possible information for boost in general is out there, I seek it. It's nice being able to get all my sources of info on one forum rather then having to go to 3 or 4 different forums to gather all my information.

Besides, if you don't put info out there, people are just gonna search for it elsewhere, and then they really get the wrong idea.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
07FocusST
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49661
What I Drive: 2007 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 2 07FocusST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I respect Toms information to the highest degree. At the same time I am trying to spend a butt-load of money on something in case I end up backing out or something else fails. As for the SVO turbo I didn't think it would have been that bad of an idea.... I will take your word for it Tom... I will use it for now until I can get my turbo running smoothly, then I will change it out. Got to make sure everything works first.

Also, My charge piping looks like a frankenstein project. I have silicon couplers every foor or so. I had to cut up a universal kit to make mine work. I keep blowing off the coupler though... I do have quality t-bolt clamps. I am considering having a weld shop weld the up. Any input Tom...

Sorry for the thread jack 03OrangeSVT
Boosted Crew Member #115
SAP Crew Member #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoticracing View Post
foci's came without rear brakes? i guess mine is special with its drums
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The duratec 2.3 looooooves the Garrett GT2871R and vice versa. Just a FYI.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #19
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
The duratec 2.3 looooooves the Garrett GT2871R and vice versa. Just a FYI.
How do you know it wouldnt loooooooov a diff turbo better ??????

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07FocusST View Post
I respect Toms information to the highest degree. At the same time I am trying to spend a butt-load of money on something in case I end up backing out or something else fails. As for the SVO turbo I didn't think it would have been that bad of an idea.... I will take your word for it Tom... I will use it for now until I can get my turbo running smoothly, then I will change it out. Got to make sure everything works first.

Also, My charge piping looks like a frankenstein project. I have silicon couplers every foor or so. I had to cut up a universal kit to make mine work. I keep blowing off the coupler though... I do have quality t-bolt clamps. I am considering having a weld shop weld the up. Any input Tom...

Sorry for the thread jack 03OrangeSVT
I am sure you ment to say your NOT trying to spend a butt load of money

I dont like t-bolt clamps , I have seen cut hoses , crushed piping from them , if the piping is clean and you use good clamps regular worm clamps will hold 35psi

Best to take your car to who can do the piping and say , Here it is and how I want it and they should be able to do the piping

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks