Microtech, Haltech for the Focus? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
ffwturbo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32374
What I Drive: 02 Sonic Blue SVTF

Points 3,629, Level 37
Points: 3,629, Level: 37 Points: 3,629, Level: 37 Points: 3,629, Level: 37
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 ffwturbo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Microtech, Haltech for the Focus?

I know there is very limited tunning option for the focus. Predator, SCT and Pectell is about the only ones. Allthough these are good tunning tools I would like to know if anyone has tried installing one of the Haltech or Micro-tech stand alone on the focus. These are very good and very reputable. Not to mention the high horsepower they can produce. I am considering going to one of these if it can be installed in my SVTF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,311, Level 100
Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
You state "the high horsepower they can produce" they cant produce any more HP/TQ then the Predator or xcal

It does not come down to what you use to tune it with but knowing how to tune it safe and correct

I have worked with the haltec and the pectel both on the Focus and there a royal pain in the ass to use , the Diablo or SCT both work directly with the sensors on the Focus and do a very good job of it and the Ford ECU is much faster and in my opinion better suited for 99% of the needs of both NA and FI

I had no problem making 700+HP with the stock ECU

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
That's the thing it is just so simple and easy to use SCT software since the ecu is 100% cracked everything can be re-written to the eeprom...

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
ffwturbo
Focus Addict

Points 3,629, Level 37
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
You state "the high horsepower they can produce" they cant produce any more HP/TQ then the Predator or xcal

It does not come down to what you use to tune it with but knowing how to tune it safe and correct

I have worked with the haltec and the pectel both on the Focus and there a royal pain in the ass to use , the Diablo or SCT both work directly with the sensors on the Focus and do a very good job of it and the Ford ECU is much faster and in my opinion better suited for 99% of the needs of both NA and FI

I had no problem making 700+HP with the stock ECU

Tom
I have had nothing but problems with both the Predator and the SCT, not to mention all the money spent on dyno and tuning spent for nothing. Thats why Im looking at some other tunning options. Trust me if I had to choose I would go with SCT or Predator just because of the price alone. But around here there are more tunners that tune with Micro-tech and Haltech making very good reliable street power than with the SCT or Predator. I have not heard of a street driven 450-500hp focus tuned with the SCT or Preadator, but I have heard of many 500hp+ street cars tuned with either the Micro-tech or Haltech. I am not a tunner and rely on the information I get through my experience in trying to get the focus to a respectable street HP.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
I dont think you understand what it takes to get the fuel system to support 500whp... that alone would make people not want to drive the car on the street. Look at Tim's car for example (user turbo turtle)

SUV this!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 2,287, Level 28
Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
We tune 500+ hp cars using the factory computer all of the time. Even though this is not on a focus directly it is still a ford and is done very often.

The factory processor is more than capable of this and in my opinion is much easier to work with than a standalone.

If your vehicle is mechanically capable of it, the factory processor can pretty much handle anything you can throw at it. I've worked with a Ford GT that put down over 1000 hp still using the factory processor.

Why go through the hassle of rewiring things for a standalone to work?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Exactly, im wondering what all of these "problems" are

could you give us an idea of the problems you've been having? maybe we can help.

SUV this!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,311, Level 100
Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100 Points: 51,311, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwturbo View Post
I have had nothing but problems with both the Predator and the SCT, not to mention all the money spent on dyno and tuning spent for nothing. Thats why Im looking at some other tunning options. Trust me if I had to choose I would go with SCT or Predator just because of the price alone. But around here there are more tunners that tune with Micro-tech and Haltech making very good reliable street power than with the SCT or Predator. I have not heard of a street driven 450-500hp focus tuned with the SCT or Preadator, but I have heard of many 500hp+ street cars tuned with either the Micro-tech or Haltech. I am not a tunner and rely on the information I get through my experience in trying to get the focus to a respectable street HP.
If you get the PRP you have the power in your hands to make 1000HP safely on the street if thats your goal. I have built 2 Foci that passed the 450-500 mark and did it safely

For 550.00 (remote tune fee) I can get you tuned remote safely and then you can take over from there learing why you go and with the PRP you will be able to open it and see what I am doing

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
ffwturbo
Focus Addict

Points 3,629, Level 37
Level Up 86% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blivit View Post
We tune 500+ hp cars using the factory computer all of the time. Even though this is not on a focus directly it is still a ford and is done very often.

The factory processor is more than capable of this and in my opinion is much easier to work with than a standalone.

If your vehicle is mechanically capable of it, the factory processor can pretty much handle anything you can throw at it. I've worked with a Ford GT that put down over 1000 hp still using the factory processor.

Why go through the hassle of rewiring things for a standalone to work?
That is exactly my point, not foci (SVT). I bet they are mustangs or some type of V8 cars if not imports. I can easily buy a cobra or an Evo and go big very easy like everyone else. But to see a small displacement domestic car kicking @$$ is what I like and would like to do it with the Foci. And as far as the re-wireing, I dont mind going through work as long as I know it will all be worth it.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

in my opinion it is a step backwards so no, it would not be worth it

just post up some of the problems you have with the SCT software and we can help

SUV this!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.