Advice for breather hose - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
pappy60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 171689
What I Drive: 2002 gold focus

FF Reputation: 1 pappy60 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lightbulb Advice for breather hose

Decided to try a cone filter and do away with stock air box. Maf sensor went over cone filter rubber gasket fine then I fabed up a bracket to hold it all in place Now there is the hose that ran from valve cover to the stock air box.I removed the fitting in the air box. My idea was to drill a hole in tube coming from throttle body and place the fitting and reconnect. But I thought I see someone had done this and did something different with this hose

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Templar
Focus Addict

Fan#: 795
What I Drive: Pitch black '03 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Templar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Mine just has a breather filter thrown on there. 50k miles No issues but I'm no mechanic.

"The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
- Boondock Saints
Old 07-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
x2 on the Breather filter. Running one on mine for 2 years with no issues.

That tube/fitting is the fresh air inlet for the PCV system. As long as you have the PCV hose connected to your intake manifold that will continue to bring in fresh air to the valve cover/crankcase.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
pappy60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks. Remember what the filter size was? Nothing on the hose just take it to parts store. Thought if one of you knew save a little time. Templar go mountaineers!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
And so it goes with the education level of today's people................tell him WHY.

PCV flow is UNMETERED and already figured into the PCM idle calculations. The fresh air entry hose must therefore be BEFORE the MAF and why a separate filter works. If you simply plug it up into hose AFTER the MAF you pull air off for PCV that MAF has metered separately for idle and a mess-up there.

OP's original idea will not work.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
And so it goes with the education level of today's people................tell him WHY.

PCV flow is UNMETERED and already figured into the PCM idle calculations. The fresh air entry hose must therefore be BEFORE the MAF and why a separate filter works. If you simply plug it up into hose AFTER the MAF you pull air off for PCV that MAF has metered separately for idle and a mess-up there.

OP's original idea will not work.
The stock location for the fresh air inlet from the intake tube to the valve cover on my MK1 is actually after the MAF.

You have to remember that the PCV system is a closed loop system that exists completely behind the MAF sensor. Therefore as dirty crankcase air is sucked in by the intake manifold. Fresh air is drawn in from the intake tube. With a clean PCV system there should be no difference in the air metered by the MAF sensor. The system is merely swapping clean air for dirty air.....
Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Not on the three I have.

Closed system, nay nay brother, what do you do when the engine goes to high rpm and the fresh air inlet starts blowing air OUT OF IT, every engine on earth does that with PCV. At a certain point the PCV cannot flow as much as needed and the engine then forces air out backwards the OTHER WAY. UNMETERED AIR IN YOUR CASE................

'...exists completely behind the MAF sensor.'

Nope and not that way on the two Tempos or Contour I have either. Free air metered through a certain hole size orifice, it is calculated at engine design time and the PCM has software that accounts for it provided you have proper PCV valve in there with correct hole size. When you do idle testing you substitute an orifice plate for the PCV valve to establish correct flow number there.

And where do you think the oil comes from that gets all over your air filter element? From the reverse flow I just spoke of, that oil would then be pumping into the TB if like you said.

Toss you another grenade.............if PCV clogs up then if after MAF the MAF would simply tell PCM and PCM then adjusts IAC for it, but commonly PCV clogged messes up idle but good. I'd think about why that too. Because PCV is OUT OF THE MAF LOOP. And why when you get idle issues you chase the TB aircrack, PCV flow FIRST and THEN go to IAC LAST as a cause but so many just want to buy that IAC first, it's the 'kewl' thing to do.

I'm thinking you need to look again...............the fresh air entry is clearly in the bottom half of the airbox even before the air filter, thus before the MAF as well............
Old 07-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #8
pappy60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks. So in simple terms attaching a filter to the hose will work.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy60 View Post
Thanks. So in simple terms attaching a filter to the hose will work.
Yes it will.

amc49,

I've been working on cars for over 25 years now.... I do know a few things about positive crankcase ventilation systems.

Here is my 2004 Grand Am

Fresh air inlet to top of engine is the tube circled in red after the MAF circled in green.

and our 2014 Mazda 3 Sport

again the fresh air into the top of the engine is the tube circled in red after the MAF sensor in green

here is my 2001 Zetec powered Tribute when I first bought it, stock form.

Red circle = Valve cover fresh air inlet tube
Green circle = MAF housing & sensor

All 4 of my cars have the fresh air inlet after the filter and the MAF. That's just how it is...
Old 07-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
O.P mentioned valve cover to airbox, and I've seen that reference before regarding Focus zetecs. Filter on it will work for him. This comes up when people question the small filter in the airbox for the PCV hose.

My duratec is after the MAF, as in all your vehicles GhostTribute. Seems to be a more common setup to have that be "metered" air, even though it will be increased by "blowby" before entering the intake manifold.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->