thread for my rally Focus - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #41
slo1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49714
What I Drive: 00 zx3 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 23 slo1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Nice car, needs a decal on the back "Asphalt Is For Sissies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #42
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Swapped on the metal hood today. Still need to secure the wiring that runs out to the light pod. I think I need an extra zip-tie adhesive base. While I was working on it, someone in the parking lot drove over the CF hood. Oops! It must be cursed. Strangely, it seems to have done no damage to what was already on there from the windshield incident. I've got clamps on it, gluing some of the cracked backing back on.
edit: oh, and the hood pins were mounted in a different location! So I had to spend all this time unscrewing them and tweaking the hood positioning and threadlocking them into the old position. Note to self: extra bolts and washers in in-car toolbox, one side is size 17, other side is 18.

Got my battery on a trickle charger. It was reading 12V, but this is just a precaution for having sat for 2 weeks in the cold.

Put air into my snow tires. They held pressure fine. Amazingly, the spare rally tire in the hatch that's been sitting there for ... 3 years or so? ... was still at 31 psi. That is a rugged tire.

Tomorrow I mount the snow tires, grease everything that needs greasing, put the battery back in, and take off for the rallyx in CT.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #43
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
can you show me or email me the schematics of that new ebrake?? I would like to machine one!!

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #44
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
can you show me or email me the schematics of that new ebrake?? I would like to machine one!!
I'll try to find out the brand and model. I can also double check its hookup.

Today I worked with my future codriver to finish prepping the car. The grease gun, even with a swivel attachement, barely cleared the space between the body and the balljoint on the control blade. but this is the one super fancy part that I can't afford to lose*, so I made sure to pump some grease into the zerks. I also greased the top of the spring seats in the front. Swapped on 4 snows at 31psi. Drove over to CT for the night. Will check pressure in the morning. The balance on these tires is great, driving down I-90 was a breeze, exempt for the buzzing, but even that was fine.

One surprise was that I found the swaybars were still mounted. Not having time to properly take those off, I sprayed WD40 all over the rear one and crossed my fingers; hopefully someone tomorrow morning will help me get it off. Need that independent articulation for bumpy (where bumps are small enough to go to one or the other wheel) terrain. If it doesn't happen I think I'll be fine.

I hate working in the parking lot in 10 degree weather.

*The previous owner didn't like the rear steer present in the Focus. After a few months of test, he finally isolated the problem to the play in the rubber ball joints on the control blades. He machined a steel replacement part and put those on. Besides the 2 the car, I only have 2 more. And then it's back to rubber ball joints. PO was actually contracted by Ford Racing to make a set of these for them. He made, I think, 200 sets, but Ford never got back to him on what they did with them. They're certainly not in the FR catalog. So yeah, diligence with keeping the metal on metal interface will lengthen the life of these custom joints.

Tomorrow is rallyx day. I plan to dial all the struts to full soft. The only adjustment I will make is tire pressure, if people recommend it, and brake bias. I'll start with neutral on the brakes. If the car is too stable, I'll push it 1 notch forward. If it still doesn't rotate, I'll bring in the hydraulic ebrake.

edit: when jacking up a corner, the cage made the car so stiff that it would lift the other same side wheel up. Pretty cool.

Last edited by kimbo305; 01-10-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #45
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Event came and went. The courses were really rough and apparently killed my video camera gadget. I only have a few pics of the car:

And none on course since a FWD car being driven by a newb doesn't kick up a lot of snow, and the regular photographer didn't post any on his site.

Here's a sample video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iK0AV838WY&fmt=18
That guy won his class and drove very tidily. On video, things look much slower than they fly by in real life. I ran the same configuration as his second run, and was all over the place on the icy patches. The ebrake handle helped a few times, but mostly got me into too much sliding.

The bad side. Note the patchup paint covering up the beautiful Cloud 9 white.

edit: the exhaust is very tinny and raspy. I got to hear it from the outside when my codriver attacked the course. It's a good thing I don't give a damn about such things.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #46
kimbo305
Focus Addict

A nice little action shot. Note the skidplate ready to ward off jagged chunks of ice.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #47
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Gonna go back to rally school next week. Along the way, I will drop off my Focus and get a rally shop to do some work on it. Establish a relationship with them, etc.

lessee, the work I need done:

- wash suspension (can't do alignment or adjustments with grit on all the threads)
- raise front ride height so top of lock plate is 2 and 3/8" above top of endlink mount
- check torques on front suspension parts, especially ball joint
- service zerk or replace passenger side control blade front ball joint (I wasn't able to push grease through it)
- change oil, Castrol Syntec 5W-30, or Mobil 1 5W-30
- bleed and top off brake fluid, check condition of bleeder nipples
- alignment: rear: 1 degree toe-in, front: 0 toe-in
- check fitting on inboard brake line fitting leading to driver side rear wheel
- quote: add main diagonal, relocate harness bar to accomodate main diagonal, roof brace, weld in seats
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #48
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
erm, just FYI, don't top off the brake fluid unless you're either gonna check your brakes every time you run, or just got new brakes..... y'know, cause then the brake light won't come on when it's time

awesome pics though
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #49
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
erm, just FYI, don't top off the brake fluid unless you're either gonna check your brakes every time you run, or just got new brakes
Yep, checking the pads is a must prior to every use.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #50
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Here is a link to a haydraulic hand brake, if anyone wants it:

http://jbkperformance.com/ksport/ksp.../i-112205.aspx

Hopefully that works, the Brand is K Sport. My plan is to turn the SVT into a Rally car starting in about 12-18 months from now. I already have 105,000 on it, and living in Chicago, and having to park on the street, its getting banged up as it is. I'm actually moving back to Michigan in a few months, and then I'll start saving for the build. I love these threads, sick car!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->