thread for my rally Focus - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #21
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilloNative View Post
Very nice man... i want something like this , but, whats under the hood?? .. just a regular zetec engine?..
It's a Zetec with shorty headers (edit: header for Illinipo) and a Superchips Red PCM. The PO bought the Focus off the first batch that hit the lot and got to work on prepping it. So that's why it has the old school EMS instead of Diablo or SCT. Reliability is always a consideration for rally, so for amateur guys on a budget, adding power cannot come at the cost of breaking down on a run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #22
jgustafson
Banned

Fan#: 49925
What I Drive: 2004 red SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 jgustafson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Needs a tint and a drop
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #23
HilloNative
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43548
What I Drive: '04 EAP Sonic Blue SVT, '04 Ranger

FF Reputation: 4 HilloNative Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo305 View Post
It's a Zetec with shorty headers (edit: header for Illinipo) and a Superchips Red PCM. The PO bought the Focus off the first batch that hit the lot and got to work on prepping it. So that's why it has the old school EMS instead of Diablo or SCT. Reliability is always a consideration for rally, so for amateur guys on a budget, adding power cannot come at the cost of breaking down on a run.
yeah i know, more that you have under the hood... bigger the car bills... talking on a RR car... but any way, you have a lot of weight reduction done... that helps alot...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #24
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilloNative View Post
yeah i know, more that you have under the hood... bigger the car bills... talking on a RR car... but any way, you have a lot of weight reduction done... that helps alot...
A rally car can have 50hp and be too much power and get the driver in trouble. This is more than enough torque for my skill levels. The Golfs and Jettas I drove at Team O'Neil probably had 110hp on a good day. The stripped interior is for easy serviceability more than added acceleration.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #25
mikebontoft
AKA "Toxx"

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
ready to take on the ice rallies??
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-alt DD/ rally car) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Getting groceries never sounded so good!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #26
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
thats pretty sweet. hopefully one day ill have one
ZC#200
Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #27
kimbo305
Focus Addict

:D Couldn't help myself. Took the car out after the storm dumped all the snow. I had a ton of stalls getting out of my snowpacked parking spot, as I'm still not used to the clutch, but it was quite nice. I used the hydraulic ebrake to take the 90 degree turn back onto the parking lot and the car just swung around.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #28
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60687
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver Blaupunkt ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 skikid89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Thats awesome. I'm looking for an abused foci for very little money that I can start to get into rallies with. I would love to have something like this... Nice buy :)
Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #29
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (68)
Cage looks pretty good!! Are you going to redo the front of the cage and do the cross section for the doors?? i thought that was required, but could be wrong, its been a few months since i checked the regs. Its more of a comfort thing for me. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I agree w/ the power option, but for me, I want a set of 3.0 ish gears so i'm in 2nd and third most of the time w/ enough torque. Torque, not hp is where u get in trouble when inexperienced in rallying.

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #30
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
Cage looks pretty good!! Are you going to redo the front of the cage and do the cross section for the doors?? i thought that was required, but could be wrong, its been a few months since i checked the regs. Its more of a comfort thing for me. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
The way NASA regs work, cage rules are required of new cars being entered that year, but all older cars with extant logbooks can be grandfathered in. My additions will be the roof brace and the full diagonal on the main hoop.

Quote:
I agree w/ the power option, but for me, I want a set of 3.0 ish gears so i'm in 2nd and third most of the time w/ enough torque. Torque, not hp is where u get in trouble when inexperienced in rallying.
On fast rallies like STPR, this car got up to 110+ mph. At those speeds, you need to be able to concentrate useable torque on all the gears. With much taller gears, the car would be gasping at lower revs at low speeds and wouldn't have enough torque to get to higher speeds fast.

Bookmarks & Social Networks