another brake lights stuck on thread - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I narrowed it down to the hazard switch. Well I kind of did. When I applied heat to the switch I can get the lights to get stuck. I cool it down and the lights go out. Stiil don't know the cause as to why it gets warm by itself. As far as cause and effect, I found the effect but not the cause. Still don't know how the car RPM's off when this happens. I did not do a test drive. Just messed around in the driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
SANDPATCH
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 65111
What I Drive: 2002 focus wagon

FF Reputation: 1 SANDPATCH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Found the broken wire in hatch, soldered and now working

Just like Daddy Wagon, I had the same problem brake lights not working. and after reading his post checked my hatch and found 2 broken wires and the insulation cracked on all the wires. I Resoldered and used shrink tubing to cover and retaped the cracked wires. NOT a easy fix as the wires are really jammed in , and the rubber cover will not fit over the wires after soldering the splices. thanks for saving me a trip to a repair shop.
dave j
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #13
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108491
What I Drive: 2002 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 2 200two-zx3 Good Standing Member
I have the same issue as the first post, only to add to the mix I noticed when you push the button on the shift lever and have someone watch the brake lights they stay on (while buttons pressed even when still in park when u let off the button in park the lights go off I know its not the brake switch (cause in park it all works flawlessly) so not the switch I checked my high mount light its melted and wires have broken insulation but no broken wires I fixed the insulation and kept the bulbs out of the high mount because them being stuck on is melting the housing... I'm at witsend here coujld it be the shift thing that the switch activates in the shift lever? Has anyone fixed the issue??? There is over 100 posts about this issue with no prevailing info on why or exactly how to fix it. what does the shift button have todo with the brake lights? Why are the lights only acting up after pressing the button? HELP US...lol. sorry for any missed letters on my words using my cell phone
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
hooligan998
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114354
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 hooligan998 Good Standing Member
I'm having the same problem on my 2003 ZX3. I've repaired the wiring harness that runs into the rear hatch door, to no avail. I recently installed a LED high mount unit, but it works fine while the selector is in Park as many others. I did not notice if the problem manifests itself when the gear selector button is pushed. I will check that tomorrow.

Thanks in advance to those who spent time troubleshooting this problem and shared the info!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
2002FocusNut
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117477
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 2002FocusNut Good Standing Member
Okay, I have same issue on my new to me 2002 ZX3. Spent the better part of 7 hours checking the wiring from the bulbs to under the front seat. Here is what I can tell you....1) it's not the wires in the boot to the hatch 2) It's not low on brake fluid 3) it's not the switches on the brake. The "stop light relay" in the fuse box under the hood is being told to pull in by something. i.e. if I pull the relay out you can hear the solenoid drop and the lights go out.

One guy who has the problem said it's his hazard switch overheating so he drilled a hole in the vent to keep cool air on it. ... I think the switch is only a signal telling something else to do something. I'm sure it's not an actual mechanical switch/device so I don't think much current is going through it at all. I would guess I have a problem with my General Electronic Model (GEM) but I'm not sure this 2002 car has one. I can't find anyone to tell me if my car does have one.

ANY HELP would be appreciated. I can't be the only one in this situation.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
2002FocusNut
Focus Rookie

UN-FREAKIN believable ... One guy on here said he put new bulbs in his high (third) light and now his break lights work. I thought he probably had a short...I decided to go buy some and replace them all since they too were all burned out.

POW - BANG - Now my side brake lights work. I'm guessing it's a design to tell you all 5 bulbs in your third light is burned out or some really pathetic electrical engineer had a major design flaw in the system. Hey, I'm an Electrical Engineer so I can say that. :)

Last edited by 2002FocusNut; 08-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
hooligan998
Focus Rookie

Well that makes me wonder if the aftermarket LED unit I installed is the culprit. I bought a resistor to si
mulate the load of incandescent bulbs. I guess I will install it and see what happens.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
2002FocusNut
Focus Rookie

Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan998 View Post
Well that makes me wonder if the aftermarket LED unit I installed is the culprit. I bought a resistor to si
mulate the load of incandescent bulbs. I guess I will install it and see what happens.
I was thinking the same thing because I really like the LED units. Let us know how it works and what size resistor you are using.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
hooligan998
Focus Rookie

SUCCESS!!! Turns out the aftermarket LED highmount unit I installed was the culprit. There was not enough resistance in the LED unit therefore whichever module monitors this circuit thought all the bulbs were blown. I installed a 6 ohm 50 watt load resistor to simulate a proper load across the LED unit. It is wired in parallel. You can do a search and find out how to do it. I ordered the resistor from HERE. But you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere because that site will charge crazy shipping. I only ordered it from them because I also ordered an HID kit for my motorcycle.

I am so relieved to have finally figured this out. But I'm banging my head on the wall because I should have known this from the start.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
2002FocusNut
Focus Rookie

Thanks Hooligan for the information. The internet is good fro something other than bad jokes. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks