another brake lights stuck on thread - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
01daddywagon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26922
What I Drive: 01 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 01daddywagon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
another brake lights stuck on thread

I have read through several 'brake light stuck on' threads, but I can't seem to find one that describes closely the situation I have.

The car is a 2001 focus wagon.

In park, everything works normally, signal lights flash normally, brakes lights turn on and off, etc.

The problem is this, as soon as I shift to any of RND21, the brake lights stay on and when the turn signals are used, both sides flash alternately (right or left).

In the tailgate wiring harness, the wire for the 3rd brake light is broken, I have taped off the ends so that they are not touching the body - until I can fix the wire properly.

When I step on the brake pedal, shift back to park and release the brake pedal, everything is back to normal again.

I recently replaced the brake light switch, so it is new. (I removed the old one and caused damage to the unit requiring me to replace it)

If anyone has encountered this same problem or has any feedback I would greatly appreciate the help. I plan to fix the wire to the 3rd brake light and then see if this changes the situation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Most of this could probably be accounted for in three words: "bad ground somewhere". And we might even narrow down where that might be. But first we have to figure out what all this has to do with the GEARSHIFT! There is just no electrical connection there. Must be something obscure.

Now then, Did this problem start when you replaced the SL switch?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
01daddywagon
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

No, the problem was there before and that is what prompted me to check the stop lamp switch. It was my own foolishness that wrecked the original stop lamp switch and that is why I had to replace it.

After driving the car last night, I found that the problem is most definitely intermittent. Over an 1 1/2 hours of driving, the brake lights did not stick on once and we shut the car off and turned it back on again, and let it sit for a while in between.

I agree, bad ground definitely comes to mind. What it does have to do with the gearshift is, according to the wiring diagrams, the release solenoid for depressing the gear shift button and the stop lamp switch are electrically connected.

I am still going to try and repair the 3rd brake light wire today - I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Do you have cruise control? I have a stick, but my brake lights were doing some really weird stuff, and it was because the cruise control module went out and took the brake switch with it (or vice versa). No idea how the cruise control might be tied into an automatic... just throwing it out as a possibility.
On mine the brakelights worked normally until I started the car, and then they came on and stayed on.
Does indeed sound like a short.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
01daddywagon
Focus Rookie

Yes, I have cruise and, it doesn't work. You could be right about it being related, but I'm not sure how and I haven't investigated the cruise not working problem.

I did fix the 3rd brake light wire today and not only was it broken, the insulation was bare in a few spots, so I fixed it all.

The stop lamp switch seems to be working properly both in gear and in park and now the 3rd stop lamp works as well. So, I will have to see if I can catch it still happening. The reason I was so bent on getting the 3rd lamp working is because it is switched directly from the stop lamp switch. From the schematics, it doesn't seem to be routed through any other device. So, if the switch is the problem, the 3rd lamp should stick on. If the switch is not the problem and the 3rd lamp sticks on as well, then I am getting voltage to the lamp from something else.

Someone tell me if I am chasing down the wrong path or if I've got it all wrong.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I knew my cruise had stopped working. Then someone told me that my brake lights were staying on - I thought I had the answer... because stepping on the brakes kills the CC, I believe through the brake light wiring. Oh well, for once K.I.S.S. didn't apply, the brake switch and the CC module ended up costing me $190 at the dealer (not complaining, having your brake lights on all the time is NOT safe, and that was the fastest way to fix things).
Good luck!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
01daddywagon
Focus Rookie

A few more questions.

1. How did you know the CC module was the problem with the cruise not working?

With mine, the indicator that the cruise is switched on doesn't light up at all.

2. Where in the vehicle is the CC module located?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

Points 5,164, Level 46
Points: 5,164, Level: 46 Points: 5,164, Level: 46 Points: 5,164, Level: 46
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Any solution for this ? My car is doing the same thing as stated in the first post. I've replaced hazard switch, multifunction switch, and brake light switch. Checked hatch wiring, all grounds, fuses and relays, battery connections. It seems to happen when the cars gets warm or when the car sits in the warm sun. In the winter it will do it after about 30-40 minutes. On a warm sunny day almost immeadiately. Ambient temperature related or coincidence ? My CC is not being used, it's unplugged at the clockspring. I did that long before the brakelight problems.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Sounds like you guys have a problem with the transmission selector switch, or more commonly known as the neutral/safety switch on the trans.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

Points 5,164, Level 46
Points: 5,164, Level: 46 Points: 5,164, Level: 46 Points: 5,164, Level: 46
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
IDK found this.Maybe it doesn't apply at all. I know thw warmer it is the more frequent my lights get stuck.
Between 1985-1999, engineers manufactured Electronic Control Modules ECMs with great design and precision. One problem has been revealed over the years: some of the components that were used have shown a tendency to fail, especially by heat. The heat from the normal operation of the current in the unit and the heat from the environment the ECM unit is stored in. Some models are stored in the cab which can reach temperatures of up to 140f. Some models are stored in the engine compartment which is the worse possible environment for a computer processor. The engine compartment is exposed to the elements of the environment outside and the engines operating environment. Normal operations can adversely affect the ECM unit over time as well. Components such as the ECS, the ISC, TPS, engine sensor, alternator or failing batteries can adversely affect the unit. Reversing polarity when jump starting vehicle can damage the ECM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.