No 2003 Focus PCM communication. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Dirty Harry
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60572
What I Drive: 2003 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dirty Harry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No 2003 Focus PCM communication.

Hey everyone. Great forum. I've been trying to pull codes on my sister-in-law's 2003 Focus 2.0 with no success. The car has a check engine light on and still runs ok. I've got an OTC Genisys that I just updated over the internet this morning with no success. It will pull codes for the other modules, (ABS, GEM, and airbag). Since the scanner will pull PCM codes on my 2001 Taurus and 1997 Explorer, I'm guessing it's the car. OTC's tech hotline suggested it's the wiring in the car and possibly the data connector wiring possibly to the PCM. Anyone else have an issue like this or can point me in the right direction? I'm looking to get an 03' Focus wiring diagram as soon as I can. Thanks.

DH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
CHillRyde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29104
What I Drive: 01 Twilight blue 5spd ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 CHillRyde Good Standing Member
Sounds like it the DLC (data link connector). Its not getting power. in you get the wiring diagram pin out power and gound on the DLC. All DLC's have the same power and ground but I forget what terminals they are. I have come acorss this in VW's and Audi's but in their case its usually b/c an aftermarket radio has been installed and that screws up the DLC.
ZETEC CREW #101
Steeda short throw, CAI, & tower brace, Screamin Demon coil & Wires, FC TB, EBC brakes, SVT header kit, Random Tech cat, Magnaflow catback, Fidanza Cam gears, Ford Racing S2 cams, .410 springs, UDP, P&P head, Eibach Pro 1.5" drop.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 2,287, Level 28
Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If the DLC was not getting power, your scanner would not power nor would it read anything. FYI, power is at pin 16 and ground is at pins 4 and 5.

Does your unit come back saying there are no PCM DTC codes or does it give an error when trying to read?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Dirty Harry
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60572
What I Drive: 2003 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dirty Harry Good Standing Member
03' Focus no pcm communication

Yeah, I believe the scan tool is getting power from the data connector because I can monitor the other modules in the car. The unit comes back with an error saying that there is no communication with the car and to check the cables and the fuses in the car. I just ordered the Ford repair CD off of Ebay so I'll have to go from there. I don't know how the pins go in my data connector but once I get the manual, I'll check for power and ground there first.

Thanks.

DH
Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
CHillRyde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29104
What I Drive: 01 Twilight blue 5spd ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 CHillRyde Good Standing Member
Oh my bad, I though you werent getting power at all from the DLC to the scan tool, but you knew it works on your other cars.
ZETEC CREW #101
Steeda short throw, CAI, & tower brace, Screamin Demon coil & Wires, FC TB, EBC brakes, SVT header kit, Random Tech cat, Magnaflow catback, Fidanza Cam gears, Ford Racing S2 cams, .410 springs, UDP, P&P head, Eibach Pro 1.5" drop.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Blivit
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51292
What I Drive: 2013 ST

Points 2,287, Level 28
Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28 Points: 2,287, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 118 Blivit Excellent Standing Member Blivit Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Long shot but is there an aftermarket chip installed in the PCM?

I know with our stuff if there is a chip installed we cannot communicate with the processor. The chip has to be removed before we can datalog or flash.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.