Is it really worth it? - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #51
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShiFTx View Post
How quick can you do a set of wheels?
Not as fast as Norm with his impact gun...I'm at a good 15 minutes for all 4 wheels.

If I did get a gun, I'd definitely get one that's adjustable so I could do the final torque with a torque wrench.
Since I already had the speed wrench, and I don't have a lot of extra space, I never really gave buying a gun a second thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #52
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37876
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, silver

FF Reputation: 43 apex214 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShiFTx View Post
Am I going to look like a fool?

So what do you all think?
Personally...I think the only fool is the one who has strong interest in an activity but doesn't dive in and try because he or she is worried about not instantly being perfect at it!

Humility, modesty, no ego...you will learn by listening, asking and watching...and DOING! ...And get addicted to something LEGAL at that!

Listen to Nike and Just Do it!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #53
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Be careful with too much toe-out. A quarter of inch (even if it's the combination of both sides is a lot....a quarter inch per side is... well....disaster!). Very little toe-out on all four corners will have dramatic results. Start with small (very small) amounts until you know what it will do.... yes it can be an eye opener. If this is a street driven machine, toe out on all four corners has the potential of making it very squirrely especially at speed and can result in increased tire wear.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #54
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59110
What I Drive: 02 Sangria Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 xShiFTx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Be careful with too much toe-out. A quarter of inch (even if it's the combination of both sides is a lot....a quarter inch per side is... well....disaster!). Very little toe-out on all four corners will have dramatic results. Start with small (very small) amounts until you know what it will do.... yes it can be an eye opener. If this is a street driven machine, toe out on all four corners has the potential of making it very squirrely especially at speed and can result in increased tire wear.
Thanks for the tip, because the local Firestone manager likes autocross I am able to use the lifetime alignments to my advantage. I am going to ease into some toe out up front, but leave it neutral in the rear.

The car is street driven, but not very often. I catch the bus to work and school, so I drive it maybe once a week..
Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #55
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
A street driven Focus should have just a little toe-out up front under normal conditions. You just don't want a lot. Having a little toe-out in the rear (where toe-in is the norm) is what will make the difference. As I said in my previous post it doesn't take much to produce very different handling traits.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #56
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
A street driven Focus should have just a little toe-out up front under normal conditions. You just don't want a lot. Having a little toe-out in the rear (where toe-in is the norm) is what will make the difference. As I said in my previous post it doesn't take much to produce very different handling traits.
Interesting - As I said before I went with some toe-in on all corners the last time I got an alignment and noticed no difference.

But I also don't think I have enough experience to be able to feel all of the little differences.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #57
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54278
What I Drive: 2000 ZX2 S/R

FF Reputation: 7 Auto-X-ZTS Good Standing Member
Quote:

A little toe-out in the front helps turn-in, but can hinder high-speed stability, and can make the car darty on braking. It is common to see 'substantial' toe-out on AX cars...especially ones that are not daily driven.
___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___
Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #58
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53932
What I Drive: 05 blk se

FF Reputation: 1 5318008 Good Standing Member
iTS ALWAYS GOOD TO KNOW HOW TO DRIVE YOUR CAR .... THATS HOT WHEN A GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #59
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

A little update-

Attended an autocross school on Saturday (never been to one). Learned that I haven't been braking nearly hard enough and have been attacking slaloms incorrectly. I feel that the school helped a lot!

I was having trouble getting my brakes to lockup (no ABS), the pedal was going almost all the way to the floor and it required tremendous force to get them to lock. I thought it might be that the brakes needed bled, took it to a friends house on Saturday night and worked on it.. Didn't seem to help.

Sunday was an autocross at the same place the school was. I felt like I drove good, but apparently it wasn't good enough. Ended up 3rd in novice, behind an evo (who PAX'd 12th for the day), and 0.372 seconds behind a Subaru Legacy.. Should've drove faster!

The next big purchase is going to be pads/rotors/drums/shoes and SVT suspension!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #60
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61033
What I Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

FF Reputation: 4 steve35svt Good Standing Member
Sounds like your hooked! First step to getting better. In our club, you lose novice when you get your first trophy, even if you trophy your first event!

Bookmarks & Social Networks