Is it really worth it? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
lildudeinacar
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49485
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 6 lildudeinacar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i am just worried that i am going to break something, thats why i shy away
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You just get to learn more about your car when you fix it! I have watched two different Auto-X events with over 250 cars in each. I have yet to see anyone break anything, though I'm sure it can happen.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59110
What I Drive: 02 Sangria Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 xShiFTx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Went out this last weekend and ran with the local Porsche club, had a blast. Didn't get lost on the course once (This was my biggest fear, getting lost) and didn't hit a cone either. Beat a mustang and a few other slower Porsches, ended up only 1.5 seconds behind another first-timer that ran his Porsche GT3...

Overall I had fun and met some great people, looking for wheels and tires for next season and plan on running a full season for the SCCA :)
Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,584, Level 37
Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As I've said before, every breakdown is an oppurtunity for a performance upgrade.

Really though, the only breakdowns I've seen this year were: An ancient fiero had a fuel leak (probably the most dangerous), a volvo turbo wagon (highly modded) blew a intake hose, and my own when my trubendz exhaust seperated at the center section,lol. Needless to say I had a local shop tack that section together.

Note all the cases above are with modified vehicles. There may be a little extra wear and tear on the drivetrain, but if you have fun driving your car, you probably don't worry about that.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,538, Level 94
Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
You just get to learn more about your car when you fix it! I have watched two different Auto-X events with over 250 cars in each. I have yet to see anyone break anything, though I'm sure it can happen.
so far my SPI's been fine.. I took it over like 6 speed bumps (deserted area, and they're like those long flat speed bumps; my personal playground ) and off a two foot dirt jump (about half of the "course" is dirt), and luckily all I've suffered so far is a cracked bumper (and I did fix it ) when I did the jump and there was a rock that wasn't there before, and it sliced my bumper

auto-x sounds fun, and I'm getting the heel-toe method down, that's really fun actually
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #16
lildudeinacar
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49485
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 6 lildudeinacar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Sounds good enough for me, and thats true, and its not like i dont know how to fix it, just lack of tools, lack of a garage.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #17
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It is a lot of fun, and better yet you really do learn a lot about you and your car. I had no clue my car was capable of handling the way it did before I ran it in the Auto-X school. After just one day (9 runs) I'm one hell of a lot more confident in my car and my driving then I ever would have been before.

And I know I have more to learn. My best time was 61 seconds (twice) and when an instructor drove my car he brought it across the line in 54 seconds.

There really is only one problem with Auto-X. Once you do it, you're addicted and you start looking at what you can do to improve your suspension. But all you really wind up doing is improving your car and making it a hell of lot more fun to drive.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 AM   #18
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,538, Level 94
Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94 Points: 23,538, Level: 94
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^ hey there's nothing wrong with that! (minus the inevitable cash drain though...)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
rnap_83
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56391
What I Drive: 2000 Green ZX3 Kona Edition

FF Reputation: 1 rnap_83 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have been to one autocross with a friend and it looked like a blast. I just bought my first focus and plan on running it in connecticut next season. Cant wait!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #20
xShiFTx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59110
What I Drive: 02 Sangria Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 xShiFTx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Just thought I'd do a little update.. I've done 4 autocross events and one track day since I last posted in here! I'm addicted and having a blast. Went and bought some 205/50-15 Kumho XS tires and a dedicated set of wheels. If anyone is interested I have played with pressures and 42 in the front and 45 in the rear have been most effective. The XS' have a super soft sidewall, and I rollover with anything less..

Next on the list is SVT shocks/struts, K&N Filter, higher performance brake pads, maybe a catback exhaust. (Racing H-stock in my local SCCA region)

My stock suspension makes for extreme body roll through corners.

Here are some picturess

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.