Tutorial #6: Creating Custom Brushes - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Photos & Camera Fanatics

Photos & Camera Fanatics Post your photoshop, photography artwork or camera tips and tricks here.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
gthang
NY's Most Wanted

Fan#: 102
What I Drive: DUH!

FF Reputation: 5 gthang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tutorial #6: Creating Custom Brushes

Everyone has a symbol that they use to associate themselves with. Hugh Hefner has the Playboy Rabbit Head, car makers have their emblems. Here, you can make your own brush, or you can practice on the attached image, which is the Playboy Bunny.

For the first step, find the object (a logo, picture, or what-have-you) that you want to use to create this custom brush.

The next step is to SELECT the object you want to use. In some cases, it's better to SELECT the parts you DON'T want to use. In the Bunny image, we will select the white background using the MAGIC WAND (W). After the wand selects all the white, press the DELETE key.

Now, when your image is in color, you'll want to make the brush-to-be black. Now the Bunny head is already black.

Now, when you feel that you have the brush-to-be as good as you want it, head to EDIT > DEFINE BRUSH. Enter a Name for it; for the Bunny Head, we will use "Playboy".

Now you can use it!!

Whip out the Brush Tool, create a new document that is big enough for you to enjoy your new brush (I recommend screen resolution).

You can use the new brush with the Pattern Stamp Tool to create the brush in different patterns.

You can also set brush properties. One of the properties I hate is the Spacing property. The default is 25% of the brush's width/height between the next shape. This only occurs when you hold the mouse button down and drag the brush. To remedy this, set the Spacing (found in the BRUSH TIP SHAPE area of the left-hand list) to 1%.

To access your new brush, find the area of the Options bar where the brushes are accessed. It should be the first drop-down menu on the bar. It is labeled, coincidentally, BRUSHES...

Here is the attachment that you can practice on, Right click and select Save As (IE 6) or Save Image As (Netscape):

Attached Images

Bookmarks & Social Networks