Buttonwillow HPDE prep items: 2000 zx3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
satakal
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60819
What I Drive: '08, monaco blue, 335i

FF Reputation: 1 satakal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Buttonwillow HPDE prep items: 2000 zx3

Hi guys. I've got what I think is a pretty simple question.

My dad has a 2000 zx3 with about 130k on the odometer. I want to take it to a 2 day HPDE at Buttonwillow #1CW (with starmazda) in early December. I'm of the school of thought to spend zero modding the car. But instead to spend money on track time and instruction. That said, where should I investigate spending money so that I don't miss any track time because of mechanical short comings.

-I'm going to keep the super cheap tires on it and when those are gone I'll buy dad a fresh set of RT615 or Direzza star spec
-I know nothing about the integrity of the brakes and pads
-I plan on flushing the brake fluid. I'm thiking DOT4 but if you think RBF600 is best that's fine
-oil change and air filter change for sure.

Anything I'm missing? I'm hoping to hear that the stock brakes will be fine.

Background: All the guys that are fast are telling me to learn to drive a slow car fast. I'm planning on leaving the 300hp car in the garage that weekend and learn with the "momentum car".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Thoroughly inspect the full suspension, brake system, and especially all steering components (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. Track use puts above average stress on these components. You'd be kidding yourself to go out on stock brake pads as they'll probably glaze on the first hot lap. Some performance pads aren't overly expensive and will result in more time on the track. Personally I think some good shocks would be highly desirable as well as good tires. Without them you'll be fighting an ill handling car rather than learning fundamentals which is your goal after all.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Check out the link below.

It should answer most of your questions. It is a good resource/guide to preparing for an HPDE event. i would read through the entire thread.

Good luck and take pictures!

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...01#post2058501

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
satakal
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
Check out the link below.

It should answer most of your questions. It is a good resource/guide to preparing for an HPDE event. i would read through the entire thread.

Good luck and take pictures!

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...01#post2058501
Perfect!

I think I'll have the car prep'd for autox in 2 weekends, but HPDE may be a bit farther out.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
satakal
Focus Rookie

Ok, I read the thread. Maybe I should provide a little more background. With my daily driver, I asked around, "what do I need to do to my car to HPDE?" The overwhelming answer was, "do nothing. Just take it and have fun." Mind you, I'm talking about a brand new bmw. 12 big track events later I've still not modded the car besides a new set of tires.

I'm not looking to beat vette's and M3's with my dad's focus. I'm looking to learn the lessons of momentun. I'm expecting to give many, many point-bys. So, beyond the already mentioned items, any other mechanical items to look into? Thanks guys!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Starting with a new car is always preferred. Its nice and tight and you won't need to worry about major incidents. A car with 130K miles could be a potential time bomb especially if it was not maintained or you don't know what the maintenance of it was. At that mileage lots of things have had considerable wear and tear. These are things (mentioned above) that deserve attention whether driven on the track or on the street just from a pure safety standpoint. And like I said earlier, its really hard to improve driving skills when the car is fighting you and may be even teaching you some bad habits on top of it.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have to agree with Geezer. If you don't replace or upgrade your tires, pads, and shocks, the only thing your going to learn is how to fight an unfit car around the track. About 1200 dollars will take care of all three of these items. Fluid change and a little PMI will go far. Other than that get yourself a comfortable helmet and a good set of driving gloves. Have fun and welcome to FF.

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

Bookmarks & Social Networks