Initial mods - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-25-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
focass11
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9502
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focass11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Initial mods

Does anyone know a good way to start modding the engine. I'm hoping not to spend too much money because I am a student and don't have a large income. Maybe suspension, wheels and tires are a better start? Anyone??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
scott77

Fan#:
have you read any of the stickies? they're there for a reason :)

I am finally able to get stuff for my Focus...got it in Nov 03, its only got 7000 miles on it cause I travel for work..

anyway, I'm getting rims, the eibach suspension kit, catback exhaust and MAYBE an intake. So I'm looking at $1700-2000 depending on if I get an intake yet or not.

I figure it's quick enough for me right now. swinging around corners is more fun than driving straight.

I want to focus on making it look a bit better and THEN I'll finish my exhaust setup in a couple months and go from there.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #3
myFordPerformance.com
Focus Addict

Fan#: 454
What I Drive: A Car

FF Reputation: 6 myFordPerformance.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
focass11,
As far as the engine goes, the intake parts(air intake kits & throttle body) are the first place people typically start. As scott77 suggested, check out the "sticky" threads at the top of this board for some good ideas.

Underdrive pulley "UDP" also a good starting place.

Then exhaust mods are usually the next place to mod. Little more expensive though...
Old 06-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
dudley123
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Well, as stated above there are MILLIONS of threads about this. Use the search function but anyways. The usual thing for people to start with are basic bolt ons (intake/header/exhaust) that combination will yield the best gain without gettin into the internal work and pulleys. UDP's are a good start as myfordperformance said. I would buy an exhaust and then an intake then rims. After you get it looking the way u want buy a header. just my .02
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:30 AM   #5
whookam
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 160
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 Sangria Red MTX

FF Reputation: 1 whookam Good Standing Member
I've actually started gathering parts just recently myself. Had my Focus for a year, and am finally getting around to modding it.
Not sure what your budget is, but what I did was get a CAI (and the SVT 'snorkle'), Focus Central 65mm Throttle Body, Ford Racing shorty header, random technologies high flow cat, and a 2.5" stainless steel flex pipe and exhaust. That whole setup cost about $1500 including shipping and handling.
Of course you can do that in steps as well... start with the intake and work your way back, or vice versa. I just decided to wait until I had all parts, to get the full effect of it all at once.
So are you looking for performance parts? or mostly aesthetics? You mentioned modding the engine, but then mentioned rims/springs/etc. For the price of decent rims, you can have several engine mods, typically.
So, it's options gallore... I would pick a certain direction, and start with that, and just work your way through the various parts. Just my 2 cents though

Volant CAI, SVT Snorkle, Focus Central 65mm TB, Ford Racing Shorty Header, Random Technologies High-flow Cat, Trubendz 2.5" SS Flexpipe, Trubendz 2.5" SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Muffler
Pioneer DEH-P8600MP, JL 10W3v2 (in JL Audio Stealthbox), JL Audio e4300, Alpine MRP-M350, 4x Pioneer TS-A6880R
Speedhut reverse glow gauges, FC Shorty antenna (Red)
Old 06-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
Megamanx907
Focus Addict

Fan#: 174
What I Drive: ZX3 S2 '01(R.I.P.)- Now Liquid Grey ZX5 '02

FF Reputation: 1 Megamanx907 Good Standing Member
Man this seems to be getting old real quick. I see this same thread comming up about once daily. I really dont think people read the stickies at the top of the page but whatever. Now I will say this, I agree w/ Scott on the suspension mods. They are the best bang for the buck if you ask me. I drive like a wild man and I love being able to handle turns and go crazy in my ride w/o it breaking or killing me/or someone else!!!! They are fun. However, power is good too, Start w/ an INTAKE it is the easiest thing to install and you dont need many tools to do so!!!! I am not going to get into which one to get, there are pleanty to choose and everyone has their opinion, I like the ICEMAN, but you choose what you want.

Second Ray brings up a good point. UPD, under drive pulley. Good bang for buck and will help you get the most out of all your other mods to come

Third, T/b Throttle Body

fourth, Exhaust set up. Whatever you decide to do know that it will take money to get you there. You can install all these mods your self w/ basic mechanics tools and some general knowledeg. www.myfordfocus.com has installation instructions for just about every basical bolt on. Check it out. Read the instructions at least 2 times before attempting to install. If you are like me, you are so excited when you oder the part that you read the instructions every free moment till the item arrives, by then you have them memorized and can do it from memory, but thats just me anyway, have fun, save money, dont spend money you dont have, and enjoy. If you want to do suspension, oh baby, you have some options and you will enjoy the handling of your even better focus. Either way, moddin is one of the greatest freedoms you can have. specially when you install your self w/ your buddy's. Its the best thing ever. Its like cracking open a nice cold corona on a beach somewhere, w/ fire works going on. The bonding you have and the thrill when you START your engine. There is no better feeling!!!!! I love being alive!!!! I love modding my ride!!! God Bless Ameria

Potenza RE 750 performance tires (205/40/16) Eibach Pro Kit Springs and Pro Dampers, SVT anti-roll kit, Mac Engine Snubber, JBA Shorty Header, Magna Flow Cat-Back, Bosal Flex Pipe, Focus Central Hi Flow Cat, Custom Intake w/ K & N Cone Filter, Focus Trends Ported Throttle Body, Ford Racing Spark Plug Wires, FC Water Crank & Underdrive Pulley, OBX Strut Tower, Altezza Generation 3 Tail Lights, Diablo Sports Revolution Custom Chip, purple Hallogen headlights, Tint, kick ass pioneer stereo.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:48 AM   #7
focass11
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9502
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focass11 Good Standing Member
Well I actually have read the stickies and they gave me insight before posting this. I know that the suspension and the engine are completely different directions to start, but I was just looking for some input from someone who has gone through it already as to what does the most for the car. I really could give two shits about the looks cuz what I'd really like is to have a sleeper. I don't have that kind of money, especially now though. So I want the next best thing, a car that is a blast to drive. Might not kick the other cars ass but I want to have MORE fun driving it.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #8
scott77

Fan#:
well in my humble opinion, what makes the focus so much fun isn't the power in the engine it's how it handles, so i'd go suspension first...

Bookmarks & Social Networks