The tube on the Valve cover - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 55338
What I Drive: 2000 VW Passat TDI

FF Reputation: 3 Executionerhk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
so just leave the original tube and put it under the engine?
I am N/A guy, would it matter?
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Bone Stock Yellow ZX3"SOLD"
"REBORN" w/ AZFS22C Gap 0.060and Ford Racing Wire
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #12
badass3
FocusXtreme

Fan#: 54096
What I Drive: 2001, Pitch Black, ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 badass3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
you can get a longer piece of tubing from auto zone and make it longer to vent it out ofthe engine bay
Hatch Nation #24
Zetec Crew #270 ATXF #49
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #13
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

if it could be vent it out...
why it is route to the air box?
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
zantar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33471
What I Drive: Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zantar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It probably helps with emissions
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 AM   #15
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Points 10,941, Level 69
Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
PCV explained on Wikipedia.

erm... Don't feel that anyone's been clear on the way the crankcase venting works yet. I'll give it a shot. If I use a few smilies will I keep your attention?

Fresh air goes in the breather on the valve cover, mixys its way down through everything, and exits through the PCV valve in the crankcase. The airflow is designed to evacuate the whole crankcase of moisture and acid-forming gases. After talking a bit with Pete, I'm definitely puzzled at how the air makes its way through the oil channels through the head to the crankcase. Notice that any V-style engine uses a breather (fresh air inlet) on one valve cover and a PCV valve (which needs vacuum, either intake manifold or draft tube) on the other valve cover. This strongly indicates airflow through the crankcase, or at least that is how the system was designed, so it's gotta work, right?

Anyway, the part of this system that most people tinker with is the breather tube, which is normally a hose with a small foam filter in the OEM airbox. This location was chosen because it is a good source of clean fresh air... this works fine until you go to install your SRI or CAI and discover no provision for your breather. A small hose and a filter will work perfectly, just be sure to use gravity to keep the oil out of the filter. This filter will become oily over time, this is just oil mist. If you get dripping, you probably just need to raise the filter, since it is mounted too low.

Some people use catch cans to stop the mess. A catch can won't hurt anything if mounted higher than the valve cover outlet, but its not worth the trouble IMO. They are often installed too low, which allows them to catch oil that sloshes during lateral acceleration, quickly filling the can & possibly causing a bigger mess than the oily filter they were supposed to prevent.

Another suggestion is to hang an unfiltered hose. I have to strongly advise against this, because it will allow anything (bugs, dust, grime, water, etc) to float right under your valve cover, and mix around inside your engine! Another reason not to use a draft hose for a breather tube is that it will probably keep your crankcase ventilation from working correctly at all: Fluid mechanics tells us there will be vacuum in a 'dangling' hose as soon as your vehicle gets moving, and you're wanting clean air to go IN the breather, not the other way around. If you use both vent tubes, you'll have equal vacuum pulling from both the top and bottom of your crankcase, which will eliminate airflow. This allow lots of nasty gases and things to hang around in your crankcase, eroding and generally being gross.

This brings me to the other part of the system, the PCV valve end. The PCV valve is attached to the front of your crankcase. The hose on the PCV valve runs to your intake manifold (well, technically, to the throttle body, but I didn't want to be confusing anyone). The intake manifold on a naturally aspirated (non-forced-induction) car will always see vacuum (when the car is on, and not backfiring). This vacuum sucks air out of the crankcase through the PCV valve, which simply keeps backfiring (or pressure from a turbo) from blowing into the crankcase. The crankcase also has an oil separator built in, that is the removable part on the front of your crankcase that the PCV plugs into.

What should you do with this hose? Probably just leave it alone. The dirty crankcase gases get sucked past the existing oil-water separator, past the PCV valve, through the entire vacuum line, an into your intake manifold & burned in your combustion chambers.

If you are turbo/ non-roots-sc'ed, then you would be worried about overpowering your PCV valve under boost (positive intake manifold pressure). You could either buy a stronger PCV valve, or use a draft tube. The PCV will close if no vacuum exists, so you might want to get a special always-open version... but maybe not! Remember earlier, when I said there will be vacuum in a 'dangling' hose as soon as your vehicle gets moving? Well for this hose, this effect is exactly what we want. The dirty crankcase gases get sucked straight out to the atmosphere, screwing up their own little section of the ozone. All older vehicles use draft tubes, kindly contributing to the 'oil strips' down the center of most highway lanes. I also ride a motorcycle, so I personally the dangers of that oily strip (funny, my '74 Honda twin isn't helping that strip much itself, lol).

The other (terribly selfish, but totally understandable) reason to run a draft tube is because you're picky: you don't want all that junk (corrosive gases, sludge, etc) re-entering the system. Your reasons might be that you cleaned out your intake manifold and don't want it getting so dirty anymore, or that you have a roots-type blower instead of an intake manifold, and you'd rather keep it nice & clean.

If you're set on installing a catch can, this lower hose is the place to do it. You'll catch any oil that would have found its way into your intake manifold if you're running the hose to vacuum there, or would have dripped on the road or your garage floor if you're running a draft tube.

I'm running a plastic PCV valve for 'FI' cars, since I initially didn't realize what that meant... I thought it meant an open valve, but really I believe it is just a stronger valve. At any rate, this doesn't matter because a roots blower setup like mine will only have vacuum at the throttle body. I've been meaning to pick up an oil/water separator (aka "catch can"), then run the lower PCV vacuum hose through this additional separator and on to the throttle body vacuum connector. This will allow me to lower my harmful emissions, stop greasing the roads up, and still keep my SC internals safe from sludge.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

It is getting too long... and it is still early...
so what do you mean by leave it alone?
I should not install the SRI?
I am only a N/A car...

I still have no Idea what I should do,
I am still with my stock box and stock intake and everything...
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Old 10-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
focusfreak03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20385
What I Drive: OLD:03 ZX3;NEW: SRT-4

FF Reputation: 50 focusfreak03 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^ you really have no clue what you are talking about. the breather hole on your vc pushes air OUT of the vc. it DOES NOT suck air in. think about it, if you put a filter on the end of a hose attached to the vc, why would there be oil on the filter from the engine if there is a vacuum? the only way that there would be oil on this filter is if there is positive pressure in the vc causing oil spray to exit out of the vc. the reason it is connected to the intake is so that the oil that 'mists' out of the vc will be sucked up by the intake for emissions purposes so that you don't have oil all over the place.

if you don't believe me, get some sort of pressure meter, digital or analog it doesn't matter, that can read both positive pressure and vacuum and connect it to your vc breather. crank the car and it will have a positive pressure on it, NOT VACUUM. another way you can tell is just by starting your car and putting your hand or finger in front of the hole and you will feel a slight positive pressure airflow coming out.

Midwest Crew #14
Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

focusfreak03
what is your recommandation?
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #19
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

Points 10,941, Level 69
Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69 Points: 10,941, Level: 69
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Yeah, sorry if that post was rambling, it was late.

focusfreak03: sorry, nope. don't wanna be rude, but are you just guessing?

executionerhk: I said 'leave it alone' in reference to the lower hose, the one attached to your PCV valve. For the upper hose, aka 'breather tube', which is attached to your valve cover,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattellermets View Post
...the part of this system that most people tinker with is the breather tube, which is normally a hose with a small foam filter in the OEM airbox. This location was chosen because it is a good source of clean fresh air... this works fine until you go to install your SRI or CAI and discover no provision for your breather. A small hose and a filter will work perfectly, just be sure to use gravity to keep the oil out of the filter. This filter will become oily over time, this is just oil mist. If you get dripping, you probably just need to raise the filter, since it is mounted too low.
I wrote all that hoping people would understand how the system works... instead of relying on other guys on forums to tell them what to do... :) Ah well, I guess that works too.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #20
Executionerhk
Focus Fanatic

so i leave the PCV valve alone...
and unplug the breather tube and leave it alone as well?

I just have no idea about what the post about...
basically there are gas coming out from the valve cover and need to be burn. and there will be oil coming out...
Midwest Crew #23
Zetec Crew #287

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.