Whats up guys, new to the Focus, want to say hi & discuss a few things - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
rageclick
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110986
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 rageclick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Whats up guys, new to the Focus, want to say hi & discuss a few things

Hey guys, just sold my 01 Dodge Ram and picked up a broken 01 Ford Focus. I'm already excited about saving gas haha. Still sitting in my garage in parts, I'll let you know what I'm doing with it.

Let me tell ya lil bit about the car. I bought it for $800 bucks not running, guy said the A/C Compressor was shot but it turned out to be the Crankshaft Pulley. (Harmonic Balancer was called). I replaced this but believe something else has caused this to break. So any input on this would be nice. Pretty sure the water pump is gone, and someone actually told me this could be why the Harmonic Balancer shot. BTW when I say shot, I mean the Pulley was spinning too easy.. freely.

My goal with this car is to bring it back to life, & I would like to beef up the engine before I do any type of cosmetics (rice) as they call it. I want people to look at it and say.. what a piece of shit car... and then smoke it kinda deal lol

It has a zetec 2.0 DOHC engine, back of car says SE but vin number says LX. Papers says it is a rebuilt so I think the orignal engine was a SOHC.

So far I rebuilt the entire backend, ya I went through hell with snapping bolts & bushings in the control arm, etc but it's all done now. New shocks, drums, bushings, etc.

Now I'm doing the front end, going to be flushing all the fluids, changing all the filters, oil, tranny, fuel & 02. Got a new water pump to install, (a/compressor if needed) motor mounts (cause it vibrates in gear/at idle). Crankshaft/Harmonic was already done. Brakes, shocks & struts.

For upgrades so far I only did the air-take which I prob screwed up on cause I didnt know the differences between CAI & short. I did pickup the weapon-r dragon intake.. I plan on ordering the cat-back exhaust this month and now comes to my main question. Would it be stupid to install a turbocharge kit on this car?

Im use to the acceleration of my 01 Chevy Venture v6 van... so Im kinda hoping to improve that. And it's kinda embarrassing watching my old lady smoke me in her van.. lol

I have a full garage, love learning and doing mechanic work. Feel free to give me any advice, tips, or suggestions to beefing this car up.

Thanks & hope this isn't to much of a boring read =)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,821, Level 73
Points: 12,821, Level: 73 Points: 12,821, Level: 73 Points: 12,821, Level: 73
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Apparently the previous owner had the SPI motor drop a valve seat, so they replaced the motor with a Zetec. In a lot of aspects they did the right thing because the Zetec is a better engine overall. As long as it is properly maintained you can see your Zetec lasting well over 200,000 miles.

No, it wouldn't be stupid to install a turbo on the car as long as it has good compression. What is the budget that you have for the car? Don't trust any cheap turbo kit from Ebay.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
rageclick
Focus Rookie

Alright sweet. Ya I never order off ebay, I just don't trust it.

I was looking at the kits here http://www.fastwayracer.com/Forced-I...1_3/index.html

Wondering what the difference is between the 1300 kit & the 1900 kit. And if I would need anything else to go with this in order to make it work properly.

Im guessing I would need a tuner afterwards, one that I can re-plug, re-program, etc.. i seen those run for about 400-500?

To prep for the turbo, I'd have $1,400 to spend this month... for exhaust, tuner, whatever else I should get. Then hoping to get the turbo next month.

Cant say I know a lot of about cars, so I just wanna do this right. My budget is 1400/month.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
rageclick
Focus Rookie

Sorry, I know a bit about cars, but I'm a self learner. lol

Pretty fast learner, I program games, build computers and have worked on trucks in the past.

First car. =)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,821, Level 73
Points: 12,821, Level: 73 Points: 12,821, Level: 73 Points: 12,821, Level: 73
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
I would avoid that turbo kit like the plague. About the only thing useful out of that pile is the piping and that's about it. A real turbo kit for a Focus brand new will run you around $3,000+ to start. You can either go with FSWerks turbo or you can go with Focus-Power, both companies are well known and very reputable on these forums. Focus Power is one of our sponsors as well and has done many turbo set ups with the Focus. You can stop in his section of the forum and ask him any questions you might have.

By the way, the blue text above is clickable links to each vendors site and section.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,754, Level 78
Points: 14,754, Level: 78 Points: 14,754, Level: 78 Points: 14,754, Level: 78
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
you can also keep an eye peeled for used kits which go for much cheaper. there's nothing in the world wrong with a second or third hand kit.

as far as the crank pulley spinning too easy... WTF? was the crank bolt loose? thats a big honkin chunk of metal for a harmonic balancer. how the heck do you break one of those on a zetec? ive NEVER heard of anyone doing that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

Points 4,131, Level 40
Points: 4,131, Level: 40 Points: 4,131, Level: 40 Points: 4,131, Level: 40
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 22 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Welcome rage. The pulley problem can happen when the rubber gives out. This should be a nice resurrection. I wish more peeps did this to svtf's. post up pics of progress.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,181, Level 34
Points: 3,181, Level: 34 Points: 3,181, Level: 34 Points: 3,181, Level: 34
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 42%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Some goofball may have used a puller on the balancer outer rim when it rusted stuck, I used to have people come in over and over wanting balancers for different engines when they did that...................and the outer rubber mounted ring came loose. They were usually quite astounded it would do that, LOL.....

The a/c actually throws quite a bit of load on the harmonic damper when it starts up, it has to take that, infrequently the rubber gives way there to fail, not real common on Focus though. Late Tempos did it every 70K or so...............I had to buy like 3 of them, even the official Ford part shelled out quickly.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
rageclick
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the input guys, ya I don't wanna roll on something that's not going to work well. I'll definitely checkout those links, perhaps I can save for a few months & do it during the summer time as a lil project.

Don't think I'd roll on used turbo kit either, I'm pretty OCD if that makes sense. lol

Ya, not sure how to explain why the harmonic balancer spun freely... It wasn't the bolt that was lose but if you looked at the pulley carefully... you'll see that the ring around it spun freely. If it was all one big metal piece... it would of broke something inside the engine I'm assuming.

Here's a pic of the old Pulley, I just used an impact to get bolt off, and carefully tapped it out with a pick & rubber hammer. Came off with a few taps.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
rageclick
Focus Rookie

Do those harmonic balancers go bad... Wondering how it happened in first place.

I doubt guy tried to take it off, it's too cold here to attempt repairs outside, lol. Im lucky to have a garage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.