Ok. So when I turn on the headlights, my trunk pops open. *sigh* - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
iggy097
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47906
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 iggy097 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok. So when I turn on the headlights, my trunk pops open. *sigh*

As if I needed another problem, as stated above, now when I turn the headlights on, my trunk releases.
Any advice? Not sure how much the repair would cost, is there a fuse perhaps that I could just remove for the time being that controls the trunk release? I couldn't find it in the manual.
2001 Ford Focus ZX3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Seems like you have some wires crossed?
(Ok, but you have to admit, this is quite hilarious! Sorry, it was to me. )
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
malim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55004
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ST - Black

Points 938, Level 16
Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16 Points: 938, Level: 16
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 malim Good Standing Member
Hahaha, sorry but this is funny.

X2 on the ^^ post above.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Pezlam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56602
What I Drive: 2002 Blue 1.8 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Pezlam Good Standing Member
lmao, jeez what a pita! Maybe its one of your earths? One of my earth wires corroded and my doors used to lock and unlock on their own every so often :S
Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
FociBoi121
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53573
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed ZX3 ATX

FF Reputation: 4 FociBoi121 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
this reminds me of those new carmax commercials(guy is flipping down visor and trunk and hood keep popping)
"this car isnt carmax worthy!"
ok theres my laugh someone please help this person!
ZETEC Crew #237
HATCHBACK LOVER #121
PS3 ID: LarkBoi189
Slow bolt ons added or bolt ons slowly added?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
jbodin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59223
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 jbodin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I would guess that the wiring for the hatch release (you said "trunk" but if you have a ZX3 I presume you meant "hatch") runs through the hatch itself, and the wiring bundle that goes from the body to the hatch on the Focus has a known issue relating to problems with the insulation on that bundle fraying/cracking. If you have broken or frayed insulation there, the wires could be touching, causing a short between the vehicle lighting circuit and the hatch release solenoid. If that's the case, then turning on your lights would actuate the release solenoid.

I've checked my harness, and I do have some cracked insulation. Doesn't seem to be causing any shorts for me, but after seeing the post above I felt motivated to check it, and now I'm aware that it exists. My wiring bundle has been taped up either at the factory or by a previous owner, and the tape seems to be what's preventing any shorts. I may eventually repair the broken wiring myself, but that's a job for the winter months when the car will be garaged (unless it starts causing problems before that).

Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
iggy097
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47906
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 iggy097 Good Standing Member
Ha! Sure enough, my wires were split, just like the pics. I fiddles around with them, moved a few around, gave them a stern talking to, and viola! No more posessed car!! Thanks JB
Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
jbodin
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy097 View Post
Ha! Sure enough, my wires were split, just like the pics. I fiddles around with them, moved a few around, gave them a stern talking to, and viola! No more posessed car!! Thanks JB

Glad to help, Iggy! I'm sure it was the stern talking to that really did it (usually works for me, anyway)!

I hadn't heard any reports about this wiring issue causing people's trunks to open when turning on the lights, but given the things connected to that wiring bundle it seemed like that could easily be causing your problems under the right circumstances.

Now, repeat after me:

2003 CD Silver ZX3, 5-speed mtx, stock SVT flex-back exhaust, short-throw shifter, SVT upper grill
Old 10-25-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbodin View Post

Glad to help, Iggy! I'm sure it was the stern talking to that really did it (usually works for me, anyway)!

I hadn't heard any reports about this wiring issue causing people's trunks to open when turning on the lights, but given the things connected to that wiring bundle it seemed like that could easily be causing your problems under the right circumstances.

Now, repeat after me:

LOL there was 4 threads related to this recently and how to's on a temp fix till i fish my harness out from my car LOL

Pssst.. Wagon 1 had no third light when u hit the brake it would activate the wiper, hit the wiper the wiper would work and so would my license plate lights hit the rear defrost the trunk would pop and wiper would turn on ( please note the sheathing on my wires on Focus 1 turned to dust and everything was corroded hehehe )

P.S. #1 there notorious for cracking and #2 certain year certain model focuses actually ahve a recall on them for that
:( sadly neither of mine are one of the recalled

hehehe heres my harness on Wagon 2.. almost identical breaks and cracks to Wagon #1

My Wagon Rebuild - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217009
Old 10-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
jbodin
Focus Enthusiast

^^^
Yup -- wiring bundle on my ZX3 hatch looked very similar.

2003 CD Silver ZX3, 5-speed mtx, stock SVT flex-back exhaust, short-throw shifter, SVT upper grill

Bookmarks & Social Networks