getting into rally racing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (68)
getting into rally racing

Hey all, I was planning to do the LSPR (which was this past weekend) this year back in may/june of this year, I tried to get everything ready but didn't have the time/money when it came around to august/sept. so I kinda gave up. Now, I want to start building a car (hopefully a focus) for next years LSPR. LSPR is run through Rally America. I've read through the 120 pg rule book, well actually just skimmed the important parts, but I don't thoroughly understand the liscensing and what is required to be eligible. Can someone shed some light? I have very little track experiance, I mean, ive been to lapping days and ran at mid-ohio a while back, but thats about it. so obviously I would be in the novice category and would be a seed 8 runner. I also have plenty of confidence that we can make a car that will meet the requirements for safety and will pass inspection. Weldman0730 is a certified welder and we will be doing the car together. So creating a cage won't be a problem. So basically I just want to know what needs to be done to be able to race in reference to licensing. Also, what is the cost associated, not referring to the costs of insurance/safety equipment/or general costs of building a car as I know what they are.

Thanks,
mlbbaseball

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When I quit (2000), a weekend of rallying cost me over 2000.00. And that was a "poor boys" budget. I'm sure its quite a bit more now. Entry fees alone are easily in the 500.00 to 1000.00 range (some are more and there's incidentals like route books aka pace notes @ 150.00 each and so on). Then you have lodging (even budget motels and camp sites add up), food, and the ongoing never ending spare parts for each event (read tires, tires and more tires). The cost of towing to an event is now a make or break it issue now (you have a trailer and tow vehicle right?). It is not a poor mans sport. While its common for both drivers and co-drivers to split things up, its also common for both to cover some or most of their crews costs as well.

In Rally America they limit the performance of the car you can rally until you become more experienced. I believe you are now limited to a two wheel drive normally aspirated car (essentially a stock or G2 class). This is good as too many inexperienced drivers were stating in WRX's and EVO's and causing problems from a liability insurance standpoint for the race promoters. They were also wadding up lots of cars in the first few stages which caused considerable delays in an already tight schedule. All new drivers and co-drivers have to attend drivers seminars (at a minimum) held at and before each rally. All this is explained in the rule book.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Ya, I know about the other fee's, I'm just talking about liscensing fees. I would be competing in g5 which is 2.4 L and under NA cars, but non restricted.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
I'm pretty sure you'll will not be permitted to race in G5 as a rookie. That's the class i raced in with my basically stock RX7. Its the potential of the car not necessarily what it actually is. My car was about 125 rear wheel HP. With slight porting it could easily jump to 175 to 200. That's what they cared about. G5 simple covers all two wheel drive cars "over" a certain displacement. G2 is everthing under that displacement limit. G5 also includes forced induction two wheel drive cars. Check the formulas in the rule book. Forced induction has a larger multiplier.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
jzizzle325
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50140
What I Drive: 2006 CD Silver ZX4 SE,2002 WhiteZTS

FF Reputation: 1 jzizzle325 Good Standing Member
lol.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Geezer, Ya, u were right, I got mixed up w/ classes, I for some reason thought that g2 was stock and g5 was NA only. I would be in the unrestricted NA class group 2. but you are allowed to modify ur motor in that class as long as the final displacement was under 2.4 L. I would do alot of the head work myself. But what I am really looking for is what liscensing would I need??? and how much does it cost for the liscense??

Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Get an account on Rally-America.com...... they pretty much sell you the license if you're approved..... I believe ( I haven't looked for a while) that it's like $100 per region for license, and like $200 or $300 for a regional license.... then it's like $50 to renew in a year (I believe) You'd just fill out a form that states any injuries you've ever had, if any, and obviously a few basic questions, then just wait for them to approve you...

I almost bought a license for the hell of it, but obviously I didn't have the car or means to do it, lol. still would've been cool to be like "Yeah, I'm a licensed rally driver"

Hmm as far as the SCCA goes, I don't know if you also have to go through them, but I know not all regions/events require the SCCA fee or whatever it is... good luck though

now also, if you're too lazy to build your own, or you know what I mean, have it built, if just half...... anyway, try www.rallyclassified.com, they have two completed focuses ready to buy, but it also gives you a good idea of what you'd need in them and of course, they have other cars for sale...
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
ok.....logged in, it's actually $100 per region, and $200 for the regional...... also the same price for renewal. You'd select the FIA license, as I remember reading that CARS is either international, or Canada (lol, big difference). You would also have to submit a copy of your current driver's license, and all "supporting" documentations

edit: oop I lied, I think CARS is like Canada or something (I wish I'd remember) but FIA is the International governing body for auto sports
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
I hear all the time that if you want to get into racing at a given level, work some events to get a feel for how things happen (if you haven't already).

So I'd say go volunteer to work the Sno*drift in January (yea!, a half hour from by hometown). See how rally america does things. Maybe try to get to a NASA event where people are running spec foci, see what breaks, see where your big spending's going to be.

Have you done any rally-cross? Seems like a good event to see where your weakpoints of the car are. Push the car to the limit in a variety of surface conditions, without trees.

And of course $$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"

Bookmarks & Social Networks