Non-Cruise to Cruise Conversion, 2010 Sedan - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Non-Cruise to Cruise Conversion, 2010 Sedan

Sadly, my Focus did not come with cruise control. I didn't even realize it until I drove off the lot. I really need cruise control because I drive so much and I will admit it, I am scared I will get another ticket. I think I get a license revocation if I get another one. I found a website that sells the steering wheel that comes with the cruise control and it also has all of the connectors. My question:

Does anyone know if the steering column on the non-cruise Focus has the female connection points like the cruise equipped Focus? I assume that it does because it is pretty obvious the cars were built with very few differences between trims. All of the dashes are exactly the same, except for models with SYNC. I have the phone button on my dash for BlueTooth, but I don't have a BlueTooth equipped car. When I push the button, it says no phone. I figured it is the same concept, just a couple empty connectors.

I was thinking today, do I have to do anything else to the car to convert it? Anything with the transmission, fuses, etc? I am assuming the car is already equipped for it, but the steering wheel prevents the use of it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Storis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84190
What I Drive: 2005 F-150 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 Storis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The dealer in my area wants $550 to install the wheel with cruise control buttons, and go into the ecu and enable the cruise function. I bought the wheel on ebay from gary yeoman ford for $176.00 I am renting a wheel puller from the parts store for 20 bucks and found another dealer that will enable the cruise for 75. If you search on here you will find someone who did it about a 7 page posting. The connectors are all there. If you can't find a dealer to do it tell them there is a SMS on how to do it. If you find that thread i was talking about, they even mention a service manager that your dealer can call and he will talk them through it. I'm installing the wheel myself this weekend.looks like about a 1/2 hour to 45 minute job tops. go to cruise controls.com and they have insturctions with pictures on how to do it. don't buy from them though they want $375 for the wheel.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

That was probably the site I found the wheel on, the price sounds similar. For some reason, I didn't think about going to the dealer or going to another source. Thanks for letting me know I need to activate it, I would have never known.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Find a source for the steering wheel + buttons
You can get a wheel with just the cruise buttons either in the regular rubber or leather wrapped
Reuse your current airbag and plug everything in appropriately with the new wheel

Head out to a dealer to tell them to turn on the cruise option in the PCM
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Storis
Focus Enthusiast

If you need it look up Mikeswaggs posting its 7 pages long, on page 4 he has SSM 20341 I printed it and I am taking it with me when I go to have the cruise enabled. also in Mikeswaggs posting the service manager at GaryYeomans Ford is Bill Posey and he will talk your service dept through it if needed. Phone # 386-253-7031. I'm installing mine tomorrow morning myself and hope the dealer will have it turned on for me by 2 or 3 tomorrow afternoon.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Storis
Focus Enthusiast

Got the cruise control installed and working today. The hardest part was finding a puller that had narrow enough jaws to go i the slot in the new wheel and a large enough diameter tension screw so it won't go down in the hole in the steering column shaft. dealer enabled the cruise with no problem. Works real nice very smooth when it engages.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Did you use a certain kind of puller (brand/model)? If so, do you have a part number for it?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Storis
Focus Enthusiast

It requires a 2 jaw puller any brand should work. If you are going to buy one or rent one take your new wheel with you and try the puller to see if the jaws will fit. One of the pull points on the wheel has a slot the jaw must fit in. The other pull point is open so jaw width doesn't matter. Also the end of threaded tensioner bolt on the puller has to be of a large enough diameter that it won't go down into the hole on the steering wheel shaft, the one I used had a 1/2" diameter at the end of the bolt. I will measure the slot width and when I get home tonight and let you know. The pull points are labeled on the wheel. I would suggest buying the Ford Shop Manual on ebay. Also The Cruise Control Store.com has instructions on how to remove and install the wheel. I used the Ford Shop manual its a little more detailed. Also read the section in the shop manual on removing the airbag. It's not hard but I would read it and not cut corners (such as the time you wait after unhooking the battery). They put this time in there so the system gets a chance to drain all the electrical charge out of it. You wouldn't want a voltage spike to discharge the air bag in you face, it would make for a crappy day.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

I'm going to get my auto teacher from high school to help me do it. He has more tools, knowledge, and experience than I do. I've never pulled a steering wheel before, not even on my old truck that didn't have an airbag.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #10
Storis
Focus Enthusiast

The jaws can't be any wider than 3/8"

Bookmarks & Social Networks