O2 sensors - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
amac1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2544
What I Drive: 03 screamin yellow svt

FF Reputation: 1 amac1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
O2 sensors

Hey focus family..i have a problem i have a 03 svt and it has 64k on it, and sometime in dec of 07 check engine light came on and it said that BOTH my
O2 sensors where bad.. i put 4 sets of o2 sensors in(upstream and downstream) and i jus replace it last week, and bam, came on again..So did anybody have this problem b4 and what they did to correct it.

thanks guys

tony

Tree Draggers
Keepin the Streetz fresh of rice.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
fastfocussvt87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59141
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT focus

FF Reputation: 4 fastfocussvt87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
do you have a after market exhaust system??? if so, the o2's might not be reading correctly. this doesn't mean that there all bad, it just means that either there reading to rich or to lean, if to lean, they'll throw a code for being lean, same goes with running rich. or there might not be enough flow through them to register a reading for the computer. do you know what the PO#'s were for the codes???

i am #173 of 1184, sonic blue with blue interior SVTF's born during the year of 2002. And proud of it.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47719
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE

FF Reputation: 72 ShamrockSVT Excellent Standing Member
What brand of sensors are you using? I've heard the Bosch ones avail at any parts store don't last, the only decent ones are the motorcraft ones available only at the dealer.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
fastfocussvt87
Focus Enthusiast

^^^^^^i agree with that statement, go with factory/dealer direct and spend the extra penny, instead of after market store bought sensors.

i am #173 of 1184, sonic blue with blue interior SVTF's born during the year of 2002. And proud of it.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
blah blah....i bought a defective motorcraft o2 from the dealership! i asked them to warranty it. but in order to do that, i need a pinpoint test performed on the sensor to PROVE that it is faulty. guess how much the test costs.....yup, same price as a new sensor. F that!

so i bought a bosch. 3 weeks later and no problems. we will see. they also have a 12/12 warranty.

Last edited by scrammer; 12-23-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

Points 39,679, Level 100
Points: 39,679, Level: 100 Points: 39,679, Level: 100 Points: 39,679, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
maybe your cats defective?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
btw, the downstream "sensor" is simply a Cat monitor and will NOT hurt engine performance if it fails.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What codes were/are being set? Just because an O2 sensor code comes up does NOT automatically mean that they are bad. There are other things that will set the codes when the sensors are working perfectly....just out of range, for example.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
amac1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2544
What I Drive: 03 screamin yellow svt

FF Reputation: 1 amac1 Good Standing Member
the first 2 sets were both bosch, and the last set i jus bought upstream is motorcraft and the downstream is bosch..i forgot what the codes where but it came up o2 sensors, when i take it back to get it scanned ill get the code numbers.. its all stock setup.. the only thing i have is intake, but i had that for about 3yrs now.

Tree Draggers
Keepin the Streetz fresh of rice.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #10
fastfocussvt87
Focus Enthusiast

might have a bumm cat is what it sounds like. if you ever get adventurous, remove the cat and tap it on the ground. just to see if anything falls out, if so, your gunna need a new cat. or get the ORP or something like that. just so the codes dont keep coming back. other wise, if its not a "clogged" cat or something related to a poor cat operation, you might be looking at a computer/wiring problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.